ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI application with grand parents immigrated from Pakistan

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coolguy20k15

OCI application with grand parents immigrated from Pakistan

Post by coolguy20k15 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi,

Me and my wife would get british passport next year and then we apply for OCI.

I have one query, my wife's grand parents (both mother and father side) moved to India during partition and settled in India. There is a question in OCI application form that if any of grand parents were a citizen of pakistan or bangladesh, what should we put? Yes or No?

Please let me know about it.

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: OCI application with grand parents immigrated from Pakis

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:02 pm

Pakistan came into existence after partition from undivided India in 1947. Before then, everyone living in (what is now) Pakistan was a citizen of "undivided India". If they moved from there to India at the time of partition and settled in post-partition India, they never were Pakistani citizens and continue(d) to remain Indian citizens.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

coolguy20k15

Re: OCI application with grand parents immigrated from Pakis

Post by coolguy20k15 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.

I checked with my wife's family member and all of them (grand parents) moved to India by December 1947. Of course they can't remember the exact date neither have any sort of proof for that. But they have (grand parents) ration card, aadhar card etc.

So I should put NO to the question of pakistan or bangladesh?

Thank you.