ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about Permanent Residence qualification

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alex1128
Member of Standing
Mood:
Morocco

Question about Permanent Residence qualification

Post by alex1128 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:42 am

This is a question about a query that a friend of mine is facing.

Here is the story:

A Non-EEA national married to a romanian national since august 2010 in Romania and applied for a romanian residence which he acquired the same year.
The romanian partner moved to london in December 2011 and started working as a self employed straight away and her non-EEA husband joined her in august 2012 after he got his family permit.He then applied for An EEA residence card on December 2012 which he received 5 months later and started working as full time employee since July 2013 and his wife was woking as a full time employee since January 2013 until March 2015 where she stopped working because the company where she was working went bankrupt and closed and because of her heavy pregnancy she couldn't find a job.
They've had a baby in May 2015 here in the uk, and since then only the husband was a full-time worker while his wife the romanian national was a home taking care of the baby.

The question is when will they qualify for permanent residence?
and what are the requirements they need to fulfil in order to qualify?
Ive heard that in case of unemployment you need to pay for some health insurance so please enlighten me with what they need to do ?

Thank you very much for your time , help and consideration!
Application sent: 25.06
Biometrics : 10/07 (dated 07/07)
COA: 29/07
Received Questionnaire: 09/11
RC : Refused ( 23/01/2016)
Appeal Filed : 25/01/2016

noajthan

Re: Question about Permanent Residence qualification

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:56 pm

alex1128 wrote:This is a question about a query that a friend of mine is facing.

Here is the story:

A Non-EEA national married to a romanian national since august 2010 in Romania and applied for a romanian residence which he acquired the same year.
The romanian partner moved to london in December 2011 and started working as a self employed straight away and her non-EEA husband joined her in august 2012 after he got his family permit.He then applied for An EEA residence card on December 2012 which he received 5 months later and started working as full time employee since July 2013 and his wife was woking as a full time employee since January 2013 until March 2015 where she stopped working because the company where she was working went bankrupt and closed and because of her heavy pregnancy she couldn't find a job.
They've had a baby in May 2015 here in the uk, and since then only the husband was a full-time worker while his wife the romanian national was a home taking care of the baby.

The question is when will they qualify for permanent residence?
and what are the requirements they need to fulfil in order to qualify?
Ive heard that in case of unemployment you need to pay for some health insurance so please enlighten me with what they need to do ?

Thank you very much for your time , help and consideration!

When will PR be acquired...

For lady EEA national, her PR clock started in UK from 2011.
If exercising treaty rights continuously as a qualified person, her PR could be acquired in 2016.

EEA national's status now appears to be either that of a worker on maternity leave or possibly that of a self-sufficient person.

Note For a self-sufficient person to qualify as exercising treaty rights (& so count towards PR) CSI needs to be held.
(Workers do not have to have CSI).

For husband (as a dependent family member of EEA national), his PR clock started on entry to UK in 2012.
PR could be acquired by 2017 if his spouse continues to exercise treaty rights (& they remain married).

Requirements for PR
Acquiring PR, for both husband and wife, will depend on the wife (as EEA national) continuously exercising treaty rights for 5 years in 1 or more categories of qualified person, eg as a worker, self-employed, etc;
(the husband's activity in UK is, in immigration terms, immaterial)

Any absences (of husband or wife) from UK during the 5 years period must be within prescribed limits.

The PR guidance describes the type & range of supporting evidence that will be required.
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... orm-eea-pr

Insurance
Unemployed persons do not require 'insurance'.
In this case (as originally posted) it is not clear anyone is 'unemployed'.
In general, for the EEA-route. only qualified persons who are students or self-sufficient have to hold CSI (for themselves & dependents).

Status of EAA national now needs to be clarified (eg whether as a 'worker on maternity leave' or as a self-sufficient person) & adequate documentary supporting evidence needs to be maintained.
As is the case for the whole time spent in UK.
(If self-sufficient, CSI is required & must cover all dependents too; if a worker CSI is not required).

PS Once one parent acquires PR, child born in UK will be able to register as a Briish citizen (if s/he wishes to do so).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

alex1128
Member of Standing
Mood:
Morocco

Post by alex1128 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Thx for all these useful informations! !
Basically the eea wife has been working as self employed since she came to the uk until last march 2015 when she had the baby.
And she has been working full time on another job from january 2013 until march !!
She claimed maternity leave from HMRC and they are giving her around 600 pohnds a month for 9 months (from march 2015 to december 2015)
The non eea has been workjng fulltime since he got his resident card
So they need CSI ? In case yes, where do they get it and what period should it cover ?

irenesalazar
Newly Registered

Post by irenesalazar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi everybody! Thanks in advance for your help, I have applied to five different UK visas / residence cards and every time I have found help here in this website.

So, me: Colombian national (non-EEA), married to a Hungarian (EEA) for 1 year and 10 months. Currently in the UK under a EEA family member residence card, which is valid until July 2019.
My Hungarian husband is applying for a document certifying permanent residence as he has been in the UK exercising treaty rights (full time employment) for 5 years and 2 months.
My question, can I apply with him?
I have also been in the UK for 5 years (and 3 months), as a student and then working full time, then self employed and now working full time again. However we have only been married for the last year and 10 months, and I am a non-EEA national.
Can I apply together with him?

Thanks so much!!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:03 pm

irenesalazar wrote:Hi everybody! Thanks in advance for your help, I have applied to five different UK visas / residence cards and every time I have found help here in this website.

So, me: Colombian national (non-EEA), married to a Hungarian (EEA) for 1 year and 10 months. Currently in the UK under a EEA family member residence card, which is valid until July 2019.
My Hungarian husband is applying for a document certifying permanent residence as he has been in the UK exercising treaty rights (full time employment) for 5 years and 2 months.
My question, can I apply with him?
I have also been in the UK for 5 years (and 3 months), as a student and then working full time, then self employed and now working full time again. However we have only been married for the last year and 10 months, and I am a non-EEA national.
Can I apply together with him?

Thanks so much!!
Please don't high jack another members thread, it will simply cause confusion. Post this in your own thread.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 pm

alex1128 wrote:Thx for all these useful informations! !
Basically the eea wife has been working as self employed since she came to the uk until last march 2015 when she had the baby.
And she has been working full time on another job from january 2013 until march !!
She claimed maternity leave from HMRC and they are giving her around 600 pohnds a month for 9 months (from march 2015 to december 2015)
So they need CSI ? In case yes, where do they get it and what period should it cover ?
If lady is on maternity leave as a worker then no CSI is required.
If however she changes her status to be 'self-sufficient' she will need a CSI policy in place for both her & spouse. (CSI is like insurance so it cannot be backdated).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

alex1128
Member of Standing
Mood:
Morocco

Post by alex1128 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:07 pm

noajthan wrote:
alex1128 wrote:Thx for all these useful informations! !
If lady is on maternity leave as a worker then no CSI is required.
If however she changes her status to be 'self-sufficient' she will need a CSI policy in place for both her & spouse. (CSI is like insurance so it cannot be backdated).
But she left her full time job two months before the baby was born because the company went bankrupt.... and she stayed self employed in her other job until the baby was born thats why HMRC is paying her maternity leave which she will keep getting until next month so is she considered as a worker now since she is getting 600 pounds a month ?