ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wifes dependant visa how important is name on passport

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hsmppune

Wifes dependant visa how important is name on passport

Post by hsmppune » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:35 am

Hi Forum,

I have hsmp approval, and am planning to apply for my wife's dependant visa. Her passport is still on her maiden name.

Do I need to get her name changed as of now? Can this create issues in the EC process?

People who were in the same predicament, please comment on this and any other issues you might have faced while applying for dependent visa.

Thanks and Regards
hsmppune

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:16 am

Hiya,

This is what I believe. Please check with a proper counsel for further info.

I believe this depends on the name in the Marriage Certificate.

If the Marriage Certificate states the name as Mrs. XXX (née XXX), then the Passport itself should bear the married name and not the maiden name.

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:26 am

Hi Gorajim,

Thanks for the response.

I think the marriage certificate has her maiden name.

Regards
Hsmppune

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:31 am

The name on passport should not matter as long as you are able to provide your marriage certificate while applying for EC.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Absolutely. Women are not obliged to change their name.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks Victoria, this is useful information.

Does that mean a married woman can use either name for, say, Passports, Bank Accounts or other legal transactions? Is there a law on which name should be used? Especially when both names are mentioned in the Marriage Certificate.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi hsmppune,
As said before yes you can apply your wife's visa on her maiden name, just provide marriage certficate, I did that as well.
But if you have some time still there in India, I would strongly suggest to get her name changed in your surname. After coming to Uk you and wife shall have different surnames on the passports and that is the only form of ID you shall have. When you go for opening a bank account you hae to take the marriage certificate along, and same as in all other cases, at the innigration counter as well you will have to provide marriage certficate. Its not a big issue, but if you can change her surname it will be lot easier for you, otherwise you have to carry marriage certificate everywhere to prove she is your wife. That is what happens with me.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:14 pm

It really will make no difference. Of all my clients, I would say about 70 per cent don't bother changing their name on marriage, as it would involve altering passports, bank accounts, driving licences etc. A woman can use whichever name she wants. She can use on name on a bill, and another on a bank acocunt, if that is what she wants to do.

The visa is only ever issued in the name on the passport, so once a visa is issued the marriage certificate does not have to be shown to immigration.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

hsmppune

Post by hsmppune » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the inputs.

So, I can now spend my energy on time on more pressing matters relating to EC:).

Regards
hsmppune

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:20 pm

A woman doesn't have to change her name on marriage, it's entirely up to her whether she does so or not.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

HSMP25
Newly Registered

dependant visa

Post by HSMP25 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:21 am

Hi all,

I got my HSMP visa stamped a couple of weeks back. I want to process a dependant visa for my wife so that I can take her with me while I leave to the UK. Please can anybody let me know what are the procedures to apply for a dependant visa. I have no idea on that. How much money do I need to have in my bank account ?? what are the documents that we need to submit for a dependant visa ?? I dont have an offer from any of the UK companies, is that mandatory for us to hold a job in the UK if we are processing a visa for the dependant ??

Please can anybody clarify my doubts. Thanks in advance.

HSMP25