ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need info

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

zunera mahmood

Need info

Post by zunera mahmood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:37 am

Hello all ..
I need information regarding. .as we are due to apply for our
Naturalisation in Feb 2016...I would like to get advise on the following points
We have a poor credit file and have some defaults in the file ..but we don't have any CCJ.
So will that affect our application .plz can anybody advise or if someone was in a similar position what did they do ?? Should we apply or wait till we cleared our defaults .
Thanks in advance looking forward for your replies .
zunera

HelloitsmeAbby
BANNED

Re: Need info

Post by HelloitsmeAbby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:46 am

If no CCJ or bankruptcy then you willbe fine!

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:58 am

HelloitsmeAbby wrote:If no CCJ or bankruptcy then you willbe fine!

Thanks for the reply. .no we don't have any CCJ or bankruptcy
It's only a poor credit score and some defaults ...someone suggested we go to the citizen advise bearue to sort out the defaults and get some advise before we apply for the naturalisation. ..so do we do that ???
zunera

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:27 am

You should be OK, but see here from Q15 onwards, specifically Q19.

HelloitsmeAbby
BANNED

Post by HelloitsmeAbby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:49 am

For the record my husband wasn't credit checked!
Obviously he was checked for ccj and bankruptcy via insolvency records but not actually credit checked.

They do a proper credit check when you apply for uk passport and use it for when you attend for identity interview. However

I'm aware they were piloting credit checks for Naturslisation purposes... so there's a chance they will be introduced for naturalisation in the future

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:24 pm

The Home Office don't notify applicants whether a credit check has been made when applying for BC.

What checks are made by the HO (non criminal)?
Credit checks are now being piloted for some nationality applications, if you have numerous debts that have defaulted and/or CCJs and/or Insolvency issues, this may indicate you are not of Good Character and your application may be refused [See Below]. The Home Office will check an applicant’s financial background with the police and other government departments. For example, checks will be conducted to ascertain if the applicant has paid income tax, National Insurance contributions, Council Tax and whether they have any civil penalties or judgements.

Regarding credit checks at the passport interview stage:
An IPS spokesman said: "'When carrying out interviews with first time adult applicants we use information, including credit history, held by public and private sector organisations as part of the process to verify the applicant's identity.
"This is not a detailed credit check but an identity check to confirm that the person exists and is active in society.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

HelloitsmeAbby
BANNED

Post by HelloitsmeAbby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Casa wrote:The Home Office don't notify applicants whether a credit check has been made when applying for BC.

What checks are made by the HO (non criminal)?
Credit checks are now being piloted for some nationality applications, if you have numerous debts that have defaulted and/or CCJs and/or Insolvency issues, this may indicate you are not of Good Character and your application may be refused [See Below]. The Home Office will check an applicant’s financial background with the police and other government departments. For example, checks will be conducted to ascertain if the applicant has paid income tax, National Insurance contributions, Council Tax and whether they have any civil penalties or judgements.

I know they don't but it will show on your credit files when searches have been made..

Credit checks being piloted for SOME so not all.

OP should be fine.

To the OP: There's two free places to monitor credit files:-
noddle.com ( Callcredit) and clearscore.com ( provided by equifax) all totally free for life. May be worth monitoring.

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks a lot for all your advise ..will act accordingly. ..just asking is it worth going to the citizen advise beaure
..to get help for settling the defaults before applying for the naturalisation process.
Any advise appreciated..
Thanks
zunera

HelloitsmeAbby
BANNED

Post by HelloitsmeAbby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:52 pm

It can't hurt, plus it sounds like you already made up your mind.

Getting stuff sorted will help you feel better too and you will have more confidence when going for naturalisation

Good Luck!

HelloitsmeAbby
BANNED

Post by HelloitsmeAbby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:06 pm

ps, settling the defaults is good but they will still remain on your credit files for 6 years from the date they were issued

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi
We are due to apply for our Naturalisation application and passport application together. .as mentioned in my earlier post regarding the credit history we still have a poor credit history with some defaults in our file ..I have not contacted the citizen advise beaure. ..is it ok if I apply without contacting them ...will my application be fine ..plz can anyone share some light .
Thanks
zunera

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:40 am

CAB can't influence HO decision on your application so I don't think contacting them will help.

As long as your debts are not huge and you are clearly making a good attempt to pay them off quickly, I don't think you should worry. If you had run up tens of thousands of pounds of debt, accrued multiple CCJ's, and did not have any payment plan in place, then it may be a different story.

If you are worried then just wait until your debts are cleared before you apply, but be warned the fees are increasing in April.

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:37 am

Thanks for the reply. ..no we don't have any CCJ. .we only have a couple of defaults ...total of approx 5-7;thousand pounds of unpaid debt...that is why we want to talk to the Cab and set up a payment plan so that they know we are doing something and not sitting over it ...
Will that be any benificial. ..
zunera

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:05 am

Are you saying you have made no effort to repay any of the debt yet? :?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 am

zunera mahmood wrote:Thanks for the reply. ..no we don't have any CCJ. .we only have a couple of defaults ...total of approx 5-7;thousand pounds of unpaid debt...that is why we want to talk to the Cab and set up a payment plan so that they know we are doing something and not sitting over it ...
Will that be any benificial. ..
Evidence of reckless/irresponsible money management/debts may seriously impact your chances of passing the 'good character' test.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

zunera mahmood

Post by zunera mahmood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for the replies ....yen we had some major financial crisis ..that's why we ended up with the debt ...but we are setting up a payment plan so that we can get that sorted ..but obviously we can't sort it out in one go ...this will take time ...
My only concern is that we have to apply for a British nationality ..and don't want to wait till April. ....as we don't have any CCJ or bankruptcy. .are we still OK to apply ...can anyone who has applied in the same scenario share some light what happened with thier case ...please let me know asap ..as I'm really tensed and worried ...about this ...looking forward to get a reply soon .
Thanks and regards
zunera

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by zahmed05 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:10 am

if you have made no effort to clear it then it will be an issue.

If you have a payment plan in place before application then this will be fine.

Regards,
Zeeshan

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:15 am

Otherwise the question may be raised, how you found the money to pay for your British citizenship applications but not to clear your outstanding debts. :|
Also bear in mind that unless you have an agreed payment plan in place, any of your debtors can apply for a Country Court judgement against you while your BC applications are being considered.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JustJun21
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by JustJun21 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:45 am

zunera mahmood wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:37 am
Hello all ..
I need information regarding. .as we are due to apply for our
Naturalisation in Feb 2016...I would like to get advise on the following points
We have a poor credit file and have some defaults in the file ..but we don't have any CCJ.
So will that affect our application .plz can anybody advise or if someone was in a similar position what did they do ?? Should we apply or wait till we cleared our defaults .
Thanks in advance looking forward for your replies .
Hello zunera did you get approve ?
Pls let me know and what action you’ve made.. because I’m applying for naturalisation too.. thank you..!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 am

The member has not been on the forum since the last post three years ago.
Recommend you check the good character caseworker guidance:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.