ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Paying by Cheque or Debit Card ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

solospy
Member of Standing

Paying by Cheque or Debit Card ?

Post by solospy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi all,

Does it make any difference if we pay the fee by cheque or debit card. I would imagine paying by cheque takes longer to hit the bank account thus delaying the application process as they will not start looking at the application before the payment is cleared.

Thanks

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Paying by Cheque or Debit Card ?

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Yes, if it were a choice between cheque & debit card, I'd personally choose the debit card option. As you say there is always the associated time required for a cheque to clear. If using a card as the payment method, just inform the bank about the transaction in advance, to avoid it being blocked.

solospy
Member of Standing

Post by solospy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks

Mikalai_S

Post by Mikalai_S » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:43 pm

solospy wrote:Hi all,

Does it make any difference if we pay the fee by cheque or debit card. I would imagine paying by cheque takes longer to hit the bank account thus delaying the application process as they will not start looking at the application before the payment is cleared.

Thanks
Debit card, hands down!

TheMouseReturns

Post by TheMouseReturns » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:23 pm

People still use cheques?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:08 pm

solospy wrote:Hi all,

Thanks
Personally, I'd rather pay be cheque than share my CC or Debit card number plus my security code.
When application processing can take over 6 months, a few days more for a cheque to clear is really neither here nor there.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

solospy
Member of Standing

Post by solospy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:44 pm

That makes sense. I was also thinking of using cheque as i don't think few days will make hell of a difference.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Also Home Office processing clerks have been known to key in an incorrect debit card number, resulting in a rejected payment.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:53 am

Personally, I have always used a credit card, much safer than both debit cards and cheque books and faster too. Always call the bank in advance but not sure if that actually makes any difference.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I never thought about it from the perspective of data entry errors that could occur when the caseworker keys in the card number. But it's definitely a valid point to consider when deciding which payment method to choose.

Personally I've always used the credit credit card option for all previous application payments and never faced a problem. Always informed the bank about the transaction in advance, to avoid the possibility of the transaction being blocked.

TheMouseReturns

Post by TheMouseReturns » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:43 pm

cs95tdg wrote:I never thought about it from the perspective of data entry errors that could occur when the caseworker keys in the card number. But it's definitely a valid point to consider when deciding which payment method to choose.
Data entry error, or OCR error, could also happen with a cheque payment.