ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

White Emerald

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by White Emerald » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:28 pm

BCarter wrote: Lol yes, Id hope so.. i'm a born pessimist (as much as I try to fight it) so I will pretend January and if it works out as Dec then its a nice surprise. You given up on the visitor visa then? I think it bans your spouse from entering for 6 months after.. might complicate things.. I am not an expert though, just personal opinion. Really hoping your RN turns up asap. I think its going to!!
I'd not heard that before so I better look into it just to make sure. I can't see how it applies or affects to the EEA though; however, this time i'll make sure. I don't want to make the same mistake as last time. If it means she won't be able to come into the country for 6 months, then better to just let that go and concentrate on the EEA. Thanks BC ))) it was looking pretty grim there for all of us for a long while. I hope everyone who is waiting gets there RN's soon. :)

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Yay! I'm so happy for everyone that has received their RNs. It means there is hope! We are at the 4 month mark.. I'm really hoping we get mine back soon it will be a huge relief..

WhiteEmerald, there is that 6 month waiting period after she has entered the country. So it would probably be a good idea to scrap the visitors visa. We've looked at doing that but decided to rather wait it out., As I'm sure the RN won't take another 6 months.

Did you all receive your RN's in the normal post? I'm a bit worried about this as being in South Africa, our postal service is completely unreliable and in no way helpful! I wonder if they would courier it to me.
Does anyone know if there is a way I could find out?

RJF1979

Post by RJF1979 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:52 pm

hi all I hope everyone is good today :D :D

Today I sent off my renounce of my british citizenship

I just hope everyone's goes well & won't have to wait to long..

I'm going to use the eea family permit to bring my Venezuelan fiancé to Northern Ireland. As I was born here in enniskillen

Please keep me posted how everyone is dong & be happy to here from you all

Take care & hope to here from you soon

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Murpyja wrote:Hi there, wondering if anyone can help. My plan is to apply for an Irish passport and renounce my British citizenship. However I am am due to marry my non eu partner later this month so will be marrying with my British passport. When getting my Irish passport do I need to get it in my married name? Also will it cause problems when applying for the eea family permit that I only got my Irish passport after marriage?

Hi Murpyja,

That is what I have done, so far I have my Irish passport but am still waiting for my RN.,
I would think it would all run a lot more smoothly if your Irish passport is in your married name. Thats just my opinion of course!
I do know that to change your Irish passport surname does cost quite a bit extra though, so that may be something to keep in mind if you want to apply now and then need to change it later on.,

I'm guessing you would need to send in a lot more documentation for the eea permit if your names are different as well. I hope someone can clarify for you! :)

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Lissa6 wrote: WhiteEmerald, there is that 6 month waiting period after she has entered the country. So it would probably be a good idea to scrap the visitors visa. We've looked at doing that but decided to rather wait it out., As I'm sure the RN won't take another 6 months.
Are you sure that rule still applies to those applying for an EEA family permit? I mean when you apply for the EEA, you're exercising our treaty rights. Did you read that on the gov site? If you have a handy link could you paste it here? I've been really busy at work this week; otherwise, I'll check myself at the weekend.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:11 pm

White Emerald wrote:
Lissa6 wrote: WhiteEmerald, there is that 6 month waiting period after she has entered the country. So it would probably be a good idea to scrap the visitors visa. We've looked at doing that but decided to rather wait it out., As I'm sure the RN won't take another 6 months.
Are you sure that rule still applies to those applying for an EEA family permit? I mean when you apply for the EEA, you're exercising our treaty rights. Did you read that on the gov site? If you have a handy link could you paste it here? I've been really busy at work this week; otherwise, I'll check myself at the weekend.

Yes i think it applies no matter what!
I will have a check for a link for you. I was told by a immigration company that I was chatting to and who have helped us during this whole process! They are a London based company.,

I actually was just looking on the gov website and I can't find it on there at the moment. but i have heard/read it from a few sources as my husband and I looked at him coming to the UK on a visitors visa, then leaving to a EU country for a few days then reapply for another visitors visa etc. They said it couldn't be done as he wouldn't be granted access unless he was out of the UK for 6months.

Another thing to watch out for with a visitors visa is that they can deny you on the basis that your married, and your 'intent' may be for your wife to 'stay'. I guess this would just depend on the person looking at your application! And they would make that call..

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:59 pm

Lissa6 wrote: Yes i think it applies no matter what!
I will have a check for a link for you. I was told by a immigration company that I was chatting to and who have helped us during this whole process! They are a London based company.,

I actually was just looking on the gov website and I can't find it on there at the moment. but i have heard/read it from a few sources as my husband and I looked at him coming to the UK on a visitors visa, then leaving to a EU country for a few days then reapply for another visitors visa etc. They said it couldn't be done as he wouldn't be granted access unless he was out of the UK for 6months.

Another thing to watch out for with a visitors visa is that they can deny you on the basis that your married, and your 'intent' may be for your wife to 'stay'. I guess this would just depend on the person looking at your application! And they would make that call..
Ok, I wasn't aware of that. It's too late to cancel the visitor visa now as all the documentation has been sent; however, the decision is based plainly on finances and as you mentioned: "intent to stay". It's entirely down to their discretion. One bad thing is, if you get a refusal, it's stamped in your passport. I also didn't see anything on the Gov website but you sound like you are sure about it.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 am

Morning folks! Or good evening, depending on where you are!! I just spent around an hour reading this post from page 1, all the way to page 15!

Like many of you, I was under the impression that renunciation would take around 3 months. I am currently in the US (but from Northern Ireland) and I am going to use this route in order to move back to NI (which also seems a quite popular destination going by a lot of the posts!)

I actually decided to renounce around June/July time - but because of the 3 month time frame I never felt under any real immediate pressure, so have not submitted the paperwork yet. My plan had always been to move back in the Summer of 2016. I am eligible for US citizenship right now as well, so I have been jugging taking that up, while getting my ducks in a row regarding renouncing BC.

I happened to come across this post & as soon as I read about the 6 month processing time that all of you are experiencing - I felt physically sick :( ... I got some advice and was told to apply for the new Irish Passport Card, so that I could send that with my RN. That way I don't have to send my full Passport book. It arrived today, and first thing tomorrow morning, my RN application is going straight in the post! I am OK with waiting the 6 months as I am working here already - my biggest fear all along has been legislation change.

Reading all of your stories though - I really do think that it is now or never!! So I'm about to take the plunge! Wish me luck!

PS - In a strange sort of way, it is nice knowing that there are others that have gone through this process (including the emotional stress involved!) and have come out good on the other end!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:39 pm

sp84 wrote:Morning folks! Or good evening, depending on where you are!! I just spent around an hour reading this post from page 1, all the way to page 15!

Like many of you, I was under the impression that renunciation would take around 3 months. I am currently in the US (but from Northern Ireland) and I am going to use this route in order to move back to NI (which also seems a quite popular destination going by a lot of the posts!)

I actually decided to renounce around June/July time - but because of the 3 month time frame I never felt under any real immediate pressure, so have not submitted the paperwork yet. My plan had always been to move back in the Summer of 2016. I am eligible for US citizenship right now as well, so I have been jugging taking that up, while getting my ducks in a row regarding renouncing BC.

I happened to come across this post & as soon as I read about the 6 month processing time that all of you are experiencing - I felt physically sick :( ... I got some advice and was told to apply for the new Irish Passport Card, so that I could send that with my RN. That way I don't have to send my full Passport book. It arrived today, and first thing tomorrow morning, my RN application is going straight in the post! I am OK with waiting the 6 months as I am working here already - my biggest fear all along has been legislation change.

Reading all of your stories though - I really do think that it is now or never!! So I'm about to take the plunge! Wish me luck!

PS - In a strange sort of way, it is nice knowing that there are others that have gone through this process (including the emotional stress involved!) and have come out good on the other end!

Hi sp84,

It is daunting! 6 months is a long wait, but this board has been fabulous, and it really helps to speak to and hear peoples stories! :) So welcome! Hearing other peoples good news is great. And since you have read through everything you know people have started to get their RNs back now.

Its good to hear you have everything sorted so far, it's a pity you have to give up your citizenship to move back to NI!

Look forward to hearing how your journey goes with this messy business! :)

sp84

Post by sp84 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:35 am

Thank you Lisa! I am OK with the 6 month wait - as my intention all along has been to move back in the summer of 2016. The most daunting part for me is waking up and seeing news stories linked to the referendum. Even if the story contains nothing of substance, it gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach. Making me fearful that there is a surprise on the way. Every finger and toe that I have, will stay crossed that nothing happens/changes between now and the summer. The only reason I ever moved to the states, was under the premise that moving back home would always be easy!!

I only found out about the financial requirement laws in January 2015! The vast majority of the general public have no idea - and I constantly get hit with the question "that can't be right, you're married". A question I am sure that many of you have had to answer and explain!

Thanks for the encouragement & I will keep the post updated as things move along!

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:08 pm

BCarter wrote: Thank you, i'm sure yours will appear soon, its been a long and crappy road. I feel like I am near the summit though. We can keep each other up to date on whats next and we will likely frequent the same parts of the forum lol. I hope the fact that three of these that we know of have been sent back in a few days gives you clarity of mind that you will get to see your partner soon. If I were you I would start laying the ground work and getting things ready for the next part before Mr postman brings you your letter :D
Hi BC, just to let yourself and everyone else who's waiting for the RN form, that I got mine back today; just short of 4.5 months. I had actually addressed the SAE to my place of work so I was really surprised to finally get. Actually, it was both surreal, great and strangely anti-climatic; however, I'm sure that will change. It's been a long and very stressful road and my thoughts are with anyone still waiting; but take comfort from the fact that they're finally being processed. I wish you all the best, now onto the rest of the journey.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks for the update, many clients awaiting these outcomes so it allows me to let them know that others are getting the renunciations at last!

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:04 pm

yay! Congrats WhiteEmerald. :) even though anticlimactic im sure it will be very exciting when you start planning the next portion of your journey .

I will be calling tomorrow and hopefully get someone to speak to me whpocan help me! did yours come via the normal postal system?

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Yes received one client's renunciation today too!

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Lissa6 wrote:yay! Congrats WhiteEmerald. :) even though anticlimactic im sure it will be very exciting when you start planning the next portion of your journey .

I will be calling tomorrow and hopefully get someone to speak to me whpocan help me! did yours come via the normal postal system?
Thanks Lissa :) Yes, returned with the SAE I sent them. It was posted on 26th Nov and I received it yesterday. Hope you get yours soon.

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:52 pm

White Emerald wrote:
BCarter wrote: Thank you, i'm sure yours will appear soon, its been a long and crappy road. I feel like I am near the summit though. We can keep each other up to date on whats next and we will likely frequent the same parts of the forum lol. I hope the fact that three of these that we know of have been sent back in a few days gives you clarity of mind that you will get to see your partner soon. If I were you I would start laying the ground work and getting things ready for the next part before Mr postman brings you your letter :D
Hi BC, just to let yourself and everyone else who's waiting for the RN form, that I got mine back today; just short of 4.5 months. I had actually addressed the SAE to my place of work so I was really surprised to finally get. Actually, it was both surreal, great and strangely anti-climatic; however, I'm sure that will change. It's been a long and very stressful road and my thoughts are with anyone still waiting; but take comfort from the fact that they're finally being processed. I wish you all the best, now onto the rest of the journey.
Truly I am pleased for you and hope you can proceed soon, I will be aiming to complete the visa application by this weekend and forward the supporting documents by monday via an express tracked method. Please let me know how you get on and hopefully we can assist each other in the process! :D

Also Louise if you read this I hope things with your husband have improved and that you can work things out

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:01 pm

Hello, I'm new to the group and in need of some help. I live in Northern Ireland and my husband is turkish. We got married in a very private ceremony and haven't made it public knowledge that we are married as my family are unable to travel and would be upset that we had done this without them present. We want to apply for an EEA family permit and then we will have a blessing (if he gets here). So my first step is to apply for my Irish passport. Does my irish passport need to be in my married name? Thinking if it wasn't it might raise Eyebrows when applying for permit? However I am concerned then that if i do change my name on my irish passport when providing evidence of work contract etc it will be in my maiden name. Ahh I'm feeling completly overwhelmed with all of this and I havent even properly started yet. Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:38 pm

White Emerald wrote:
Lissa6 wrote:yay! Congrats WhiteEmerald. :) even though anticlimactic im sure it will be very exciting when you start planning the next portion of your journey .

Thanks Lissa :) Yes, returned with the SAE I sent them. It was posted on 26th Nov and I received it yesterday. Hope you get yours soon.

I wish I had thought of that! But it didn't say anything on the form or the supporting documentation, so I assumed they would send it back via a courier service as other documents I have sent off in the past have been returned. (to different offices etc)

I phoned and spoke to the RN department and they wouldn't assist as i was a week off the date I had sent it. However she did say that it would be a good idea to send an envelope now. I just don't know if there is any point!! Hoping to get mine soon.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 pm

magicmus wrote:Hello, I'm new to the group and in need of some help. I live in Northern Ireland and my husband is turkish. We got married in a very private ceremony and haven't made it public knowledge that we are married as my family are unable to travel and would be upset that we had done this without them present. We want to apply for an EEA family permit and then we will have a blessing (if he gets here). So my first step is to apply for my Irish passport. Does my irish passport need to be in my married name? Thinking if it wasn't it might raise Eyebrows when applying for permit? However I am concerned then that if i do change my name on my irish passport when providing evidence of work contract etc it will be in my maiden name. Ahh I'm feeling completly overwhelmed with all of this and I havent even properly started yet. Any advice would be greatly recieved.
Hi magicmus! Ok, before you start anything: were you born in NI? If you were, you automatically qualify for dual nationality and your EEA application will be rejected even if you do get your Irish passport. I think you need to answer this before anyone can give you help. If you're British and live in NI it still won't help you as it's part of the UK; you would have to renounce your British citizenship and go the EEA route as an Irish citizen.

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Lissa6 wrote: I wish I had thought of that! But it didn't say anything on the form or the supporting documentation, so I assumed they would send it back via a courier service as other documents I have sent off in the past have been returned. (to different offices etc)

I phoned and spoke to the RN department and they wouldn't assist as i was a week off the date I had sent it. However she did say that it would be a good idea to send an envelope now. I just don't know if there is any point!! Hoping to get mine soon.
Keeping fingers crossed for you Lissa :)

White Emerald

Post by White Emerald » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:51 pm

BCarter wrote: Truly I am pleased for you and hope you can proceed soon, I will be aiming to complete the visa application by this weekend and forward the supporting documents by monday via an express tracked method. Please let me know how you get on and hopefully we can assist each other in the process! :D

Also Louise if you read this I hope things with your husband have improved and that you can work things out
Thanks BC! I hope things have gone OK for louise too as she waited longer than anyone and her receiving the RN was a big relief to everyone when everything seemed locked down. By the way, are you going to send/ did you send your original RN or are you going to/ did you get it notarised?

BCarter

Post by BCarter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:37 am

White Emerald wrote:
BCarter wrote: Truly I am pleased for you and hope you can proceed soon, I will be aiming to complete the visa application by this weekend and forward the supporting documents by monday via an express tracked method. Please let me know how you get on and hopefully we can assist each other in the process! :D

Thanks BC! I hope things have gone OK for louise too as she waited longer than anyone and her receiving the RN was a big relief to everyone when everything seemed locked down. By the way, are you going to send/ did you send your original RN or are you going to/ did you get it notarised?
I sent a copy of both the letter and the cert, cert is stamped by home office and has reference numbers etc so I don't see it being difficult for them to verify. I got my passport scan certified though

tigerram

Post by tigerram » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:07 pm

Well I didn't get any updates through in my emails...so I presumed there was no more news on this thread. And I have missed at least three pages!

Congratulations to everybody sorted. I am happy for you. I will read it in detail later.

I'm in week 24. I'm off work today, preparing to fly out and get married. A letter from ukvi came through the door today...yay! I got so excited. This was it! But...

...it wants me to prove I am British. Which is patently obvious as my birthplace is on the original passport I sent them already! And why would I want to go through the whole of this process if I wasn't British?

I am lucky as they want the info by the 28th or the process is cancelled. I return from HK on the 28th. I could have easily missed this letter.

I am furious.

Here is the email of complaint the call centre peeps have advised me to send. I hope you can see my horror at this whole farce:

Ref: 0000
Date of written correspondence (arrived today)

My details: 

Dear Sir/Madam, 

I am sadly writing in to complain about the ridiculous treatment of my renunciation of British citizenship that I am currently receiving - which should be a rather simple process. I am left asking myself, is this all some kind of joke? Let me explain:

On the 0000 of June, I began my application to renounce my British nationality. I was born in Northern Ireland in 0000; under the Good Friday agreement, and other agreements between the states of the UK of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic: due to my location of birth I am a dual national and have the right to choose one or both nationality. I have chosen to be Irish. This is, of course, my undeniable right under law. 

I sent in my Irish passport with my initial application. My place of birth is County Fermanagh; the passport states this. Look at the copy you should have on file. Clearly, County Fermanagh is in Northern Ireland and has been part of it continuously since the early 1920s when the six-county province/state of Northern Ireland was created. 

Suddenly, 24 weeks have passed and  I get a farcical letter from yourselves through this morning. I am pinching myself, because it asks me to prove I am British. My reaction is one of dismay and disbelief: 

1 Why would I want to pay £220 plus to renounce being British, wait a stupid amount of time and be messed about with if I wasn't British to start with? Please kindly would someone explain the logic in that - logic beyond anything that could belong on the 1st April. 

2 From the original passport I sent in, it is clear that I was born in Fermanagh on the 0000. I would expect the UK immigration to know that Fermanagh is situated in the south-west of Northern Ireland  and thus is legally part of their own country -  as much as London, Liverpool or Barnsley.  Surely you can see how hilarious this possible oversight is. An Irish passport is a legal document. You still have a copy you took for the original I sent in. Any cursory glance at a map will prove what I am saying. Sadly this seems to back up what many citizens of Fermanagh have long suspected - that anything lying west of the Bann simply does not exist to anyone who lives on the British mainland. 

3 Your letter doesn't make it clear what documents you actually need. I am guessing that it is an old British passport and my birth certificate (issued in Belfast, Northern Ireland - part of the UK, just in case your department has lost those maps again!) . However, noone knows and I cannot contact you by phone to discuss it. UKVI must be the most public-unfriendly organisation there is - people pay over £200 for what kind of service? A simple call to someone connected with processing the application would sort this all out. Yet, that isn't even a possibility. 

So, I am scrabbling around trying to find documentation to prove what is painfully obvious to any half-wit. In the meanwhile, I must conclude that the truth could possibly be one or more of the following: 

- UKVI don't know basic British geography (which is not very reassuring) 
- Fermanagh has been annexed by Ireland overnight and noone has bothered to tell anyone 
- UKVI haven't bothered to do their job properly after 24 weeks of a simple open and shut application (possibly marked by coffee stains by now) 
- The process is just overly bureaucratic, lacks transparancy and proper customer service, and the UKVI are short-staffed and not trained properly, 
- 0000 of CT1 doesn't read letters before they go out 
- Something that I am missing here 

I apologise if my tone doesn't reflect the gravity of the situation; however, it truly reflects the image that has been presented by UKVI to myself based upon this application, and how utterly risible your stance is on this issue. You have some good employees at your callcentre who are helpful but their hands are tied, because they cannot give out a direct number to yourself nor access anything to do with the case; when I explained the situation, one gentleman at the callcentre laughed and said the situation was 'ridiculous' and I should complain. However, he could not really give me any detailed advice. 

As such, I am more than prepared to go to the national and Irish press over this matter if it is necessary. I expect a full explanation for my treatment, and clarification over what I do or do not have to provide. Also, I feel an apology is due. I would at least expect compensation for having to send further documents in by recorded post - it is unnecessary, and I have already paid enough to be treated in such a shoddy and idiotic way by what should be a institution for all to look up to, which probably does a lot of good work. I am sad and disappointed to make this complaint.

Please contact me on 0000 to discuss the matter further, as I would like this egregious situation resolved speedily. 

Regards, 

RJF1979

Post by RJF1979 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi everyone how is everyone today?

I've sent off my renounce my British citizenship on the 19th of November my special recorded delivery I know have got my stuff but the payment hasn't come out of my bank. I am sure it will be along time before I hear anything

Thank you & hope to here from you all soon

sp84

Post by sp84 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Hey again folks - I did not check the thread for a few weeks and was surprised to see so many responses!

I am glad those people that renounced a few months ago, are finally getting their responses! I sent my RN form off at the end of November. On Dec 1st 2015 I got a reply via email - stating that they had received my form and provided me with a case #. They also took the payment straight out of my account around the same date. It has not even been 2 weeks yet, so I did not expect to hear anything else as of yet anyway.

tigerram - I cannot believe they asked for proof that you are British! You sent your passport am I right? If so that is disgusting! With you saying that - I would not be surprised then if the same thing happened to me. I sent my old British Passport (expired in 2011 & have been using my Irish Passport ever since) - which clearly states, born in BELFAST. On a cover letter I explained that the passport has expired (never renewed) and that it clearly shows that I am a British Citizen.

One quick question for anyone out there as well ... I did not send a return/stamped envelope or anything like that. Should I have? On my cover letter I simply stated the return address where I would like my documents and RN form sent back to (I am currently in the USA).

Thanks everyone & I hope the Christmas shopping hasn't got anyone too stressed out yet!