ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residence Card required for British Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

polyksena
Newly Registered

Permanent Residence Card required for British Naturalisation

Post by polyksena » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:38 pm

It's not clear whether one year of residence will be required after the issue date of the PR card. Obie will probably be able to advise further on this.
Hello, I am an EEA national planning to apply for British Citizenship. I just received my Permanent Residence card issued on 25 Nov 2015. It was issued on the basis of exercising Treaty Rights for 8 years. My query is do I need to wait for 1 more year before applying for British Citizenship (so that I have held the card for 1 year) or can I apply now?

There isn’t any clear information on whether the applicant should possess the Permanent Residence card for 1 year before applying for Citizenship.

I have read the Guide and Booklet which go with the AN Application form downloaded from gov.uk The Booklet is the November version and page 10 which refers to EEA Nationals says that:

If you are a national of a country which is a member state of the EEA or Switzerland, or the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status after exercising EEA free movement rights in the UK for any continuous period of 5 years ending on or after 30 April 2006. You should apply for a permanent residence card to prove that you hold that status before applying for citizenship.
But remember that, unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. This means that you may need to wait until you have been in the United Kingdom for 6 years before you can apply. When you apply for a permanent residence document the evidence that you supply for your EEA(PR) application must be for a 5 year period that ended at least a year before you want to apply for citizenship.
For example:
If you apply for Permanent Residence on 1st December 2015 and want to apply for Citizenship once that application is decided, you should send evidence that shows you were exercising Treaty rights as a qualified person or family member from 1 December 2009 to 1 December 2014.

The example suggests that the applicant can apply straight after getting the Permanent Residence card if the card was issued on the basis of exercising Treaty Rights for at least 6 years (in my case it is 8 years). The paragraph above the example says that applicant should have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation (it says the status, not the card itself; and the status is gained automatically after 5 years).

So, can I apply now bearing in mind my Permanent Card was issued on 25 Nov 2015?

I called Home Office – citizenship helpline. At first they told me that according to the new law from 12th Nov you should have the card for 1 year and then you can apply. But when I explained them what the Booklet says (page 10) and they referred to it, they said that I can apply now without waiting but still there is a possibility my application to be rejected because I have held the card for less than a year. And when I asked why rejection is still possible if the Booklet explains that it is allowed to apply without the need to wait, the operator said that there is a possibility the Booklet is not updated with the latest information. But I think the Booklet is the latest update as it is November version and back in October when I checked it was a different version.

So, I will be very grateful if someone can advise me whether I can apply now? A previous post suggests that maybe Obie may have an idea about the card situation?

Thank you very much for your help!

LilyLalilu

Re: Permenant Residence Card required for British Naturalisa

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:56 pm

I have asked myself the same question and I don't think anyone knows for sure.
I assume they expect you to hold the card for 1 year, however, as you said, I feel like from what the booklet and the EEA regs/nationality act say one should be able to apply straight after getting the card as long as one year has passed since the date when PR was actually acquired.
The problem is that citizenship applications are so expensive (and do not come with a right of appeal), hence no one will probably just go and give it a try and see what happens. Probably best to wait one year from the PR issue date, just to be on the safe side. Or see if you can get something in writing from the HO and then send this in with your application and see what happens if you don't mind gambling the money..
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

polyksena
Newly Registered

Post by polyksena » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:02 pm

I have contacted several different Immigration Consultants/Solicitors registered on the www.oisc.gov.uk (it’s the approved list by Home Office). I asked them whether the applicant should have held the PR card for 1 year before applying even if the PR card was issued on the basis of more than 6 years of lawful residence in the UK and exercising Treaty Rights. All of them said that in that case I can apply now without the need to wait 1 year.
I am also considering contacting Home Office by email at FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk Is that the best email contact for Citizenship enquiries? In regards to no right of appeal, as far as I know there is an option to ask for review… https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ed-form-nr
Does anyone else from EEA on the forum had made enquires to Home Office and/or solicitors/advisors in regards to the PR card and the 1 year requirement? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:21 pm

I sent an enquiry regarding this matter to FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk in the end of November; no reply as of yet. Let me know if you hear anything :)
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

polyksena
Newly Registered

Post by polyksena » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi LilyLalilu, I will share on the forum when I receive the reply from them. Meanwhile please also share if you receive a reply from them! Thank you!

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:33 pm

polyksena wrote:I have contacted several different Immigration Consultants/Solicitors registered on the http://www.oisc.gov.uk (it’s the approved list by Home Office). I asked them whether the applicant should have held the PR card for 1 year before applying even if the PR card was issued on the basis of more than 6 years of lawful residence in the UK and exercising Treaty Rights. All of them said that in that case I can apply now without the need to wait 1 year.
I am also considering contacting Home Office by email at FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk Is that the best email contact for Citizenship enquiries? In regards to no right of appeal, as far as I know there is an option to ask for review… https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ed-form-nr
Does anyone else from EEA on the forum had made enquires to Home Office and/or solicitors/advisors in regards to the PR card and the 1 year requirement? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
Did you get a card, or a document? I thought the "PR card" was for non-EEA citizens only, and they have to submit biometric information and wait up to 6 months for it. EEA citizens on the other hand just request a document that UKVI should provide as soon as possible, without the need to submit biometrics.

My understanding is that if you've exercised treaty rights as an EEA national for 5 years, you have PR regardless of whether you have a document to prove it or not. If you've exercised treaty rights for 6 years or more then in theory you should be able to apply for the document confirming PR and once you receive it, immediately apply for naturalisation. The AN guide makes no reference to how long you've held the document, only PR itself. This is what I intend to do at least.

polyksena
Newly Registered

Post by polyksena » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:29 am

Hi Ohara, sorry for the confusion. Yes - the whole time I was talking about Document Certifying Permanent Residence. I am aware that the term Permanent Residence card is used for non-EEA nationals, and the term Document Certifying Permanent is used for EEA nationals. However, everytime when I spoke to Home Office helpline the advisors referred to the document as 'Card'. I tried to explain to them that card is for non-EEA, and I am talking about Document certifying PR for EEA nationals, but nonetheless they continued to refer to it as 'card' even for EEA nationals. That's why I put 'card' in my posts...My understanding is also as yours - that the AN guide and Booklet refer to holding the PR status for 1 year (not the document itself). But the thing is that the Home Office helpline tried to convince me this might not be the case...Did you already submit an application or are you intending to without waiting 1 year after the issue date of document?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I've never seen the document, only specimens of the card online, so I have no idea what it looks like but I assume it's just a sheet of paper saying "You have permanent residence" or something similar.

My application for the PR document was only received yesterday, and payment has not been taken yet, so I expect it will be a while before it comes through. But according to the legislation, I acquired PR well over 12 months ago. I am hoping the document states exactly when I did get PR, as the AN form asks for this date.

My EEA passport expires in August, and I can't renew it before the end of January, so as soon as I've got my new passport and the PR document I'm going to book an NCS appointment to put the AN form in. I'm sure they can advise whether this is a problem, but as the Home Office's own guidance says, you need to have held PR status for 12 months, not the document confirming you have it.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:33 pm

The document states 'Document certifying Permanent Residence' plus your details,picture etc.
However, it only contains the issue date, not the date PR was actually acquired which now that a PR doc is required for naturalisation obviously causes problems...

polyksena
Newly Registered

Post by polyksena » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Hello all, just to give an update. My application for British Citizenship was approved! So, it turns out that even if the EEA applicant hasn't held the PR document for 1 year, that is fine if the PR document had been issued on the basis of at least 6 years Treaty rights. Hope my update is helpful!

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Congratulations :)

I got my DCPR back in February and applied for naturalisation in March, hoping all goes well.

It looks like we've got at least one case at the moment where HO have not realised the document issue date is not the PR date and refused an application despite the OP having held PR for over 12 months.

Also another who seems to have had his PR date incorrectly recorded as the document issue date.

Will be interesting to see how both pan out.

club569
Newly Registered

Post by club569 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:12 pm

polyksena wrote:Hello all, just to give an update. My application for British Citizenship was approved! So, it turns out that even if the EEA applicant hasn't held the PR document for 1 year, that is fine if the PR document had been issued on the basis of at least 6 years Treaty rights. Hope my update is helpful!
Hi,how long did you wait for decision .

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:30 pm

According to polyksena's other posts
Biometrics done: 16/01/2016
Date of approval: 05/03/2016

mifi28
Newly Registered

Post by mifi28 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:43 pm

polyksena wrote:Hello all, just to give an update. My application for British Citizenship was approved! So, it turns out that even if the EEA applicant hasn't held the PR document for 1 year, that is fine if the PR document had been issued on the basis of at least 6 years Treaty rights. Hope my update is helpful!
Sorry, a silly question, how did you know on what basis your permanent residence card was issued? how did you find out when did your permanent residence start in HO records?

noajthan

Re: Permanent Residence Card required for British Naturalisa

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:09 pm

If applying via NCS, NCS official can check via a HO hotline.

And/or you could request a SAR from UKVI which may reveal what's stored in your record in the internal HO CID databank.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:10 am

noajthan wrote:And/or you could request a SAR from UKVI which may reveal what's stored in your record in the internal HO CID databank.
Which should contain a page like this :wink:

polyksena
Newly Registered

Post by polyksena » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi mifi28, I've just seen your questions on the forum. The PR document was issued was on the basis of more than 6 years of exercising Treaty Rights as I have sent them supporting documents for more than 6 years. And in the regards to the Permanent Residence status - I gained my PR status 5 years after my Registration Certificate (work permit) was issued. This is explained on the work permit itself and HO have reference numbers and information on this. Hope this helps :)

RocklUK
- thin ice -

Post by RocklUK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Look at these for the vague refusal of citizenship with paragraph 3(d) being cited. Case workers at the Home Office have recently said they have no idea what paragraph 3(d) is to my wife who passed all checks and has P60's for well over 5 years:

You have not been granted indefinite leave to remain on or permanent residence in the United Kingdom, you do not meet the requirement at paragraph 3(d) of the leaflet. The application is therefore refused.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... pageid=151

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... ageid=3684

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61