ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

torikelly91
BANNED

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by torikelly91 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:18 am

I've been reading this thread and seriously hit seems HO haven't a clue what they're doing !!
Feel for you guys!

Hope you get the right outcomes soon.

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi all, just an update, hopefully it will help others. I went to Toronto yesterday to enroll my biometric information. As someone mentioned before you have to make an appointment in advance (Toronto only does theirs on Tuesday mornings from 10-1). The appointment booking doesn't say you have to get there early, but you should. They make you check all electronics including your phone, and the time it took to do this, plus for them to find my the appointment on their list had them claim I was late (i was not). There were a number of other people in the office applying for visas with the only 2 office workers there, so I had to wait about 20 minutes before they would take me. They seemed confused at first and kept asking me for a checklist (when the electronics checking guy kept telling me to tell the office people I don't need one). Once in the biometric room it was a quick 3 minutes to get fingerprinted and my picture taken and they gave me a receipt saying it had been filed. Now it's anyone's guess whether it'll be a quick approval, or take another 4 months (I'm at 7.5 months now), and whether they'll try and ask for my passport back (though my biometric enrolment letter had my passport # on it so I'm hoping that means they made copies before returning it to me). Hopefully I'll have good news in the new year!

canabrit
Newly Registered

Post by canabrit » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Good stuff,

Thanks for the update, bfrenchfry. We actually missed each other by a hair- I'm next tuesday in Toronto. Hopefully they'll be a little less confused next time. And I'll definitely show up early.

Question for you- when you went through the whole vfsglobal thing, did you have to put 'overseas citizenship'? I found no place for 'ukf' on that website's dropdowns, and thus my appointment letter says it's for overseas citizenship; I'm hoping this won't be a problem.

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:02 pm

canabrit wrote:Good stuff,

Thanks for the update, bfrenchfry. We actually missed each other by a hair- I'm next tuesday in Toronto. Hopefully they'll be a little less confused next time. And I'll definitely show up early.

Question for you- when you went through the whole vfsglobal thing, did you have to put 'overseas citizenship'? I found no place for 'ukf' on that website's dropdowns, and thus my appointment letter says it's for overseas citizenship; I'm hoping this won't be a problem.
Yup, that's exactly what I did! I think the "checklist" the people kept asking me for was for people applying for visas as I saw them having to give over a ton of paperwork to the office people. Once they finally realized I was applying as "overseas citizenship" they dropped it and let me skip in front of someone else to do the biometrics. So make sure they realize that is what your appointment calls for. It felt weird interrupting people who were so deep in their application to lean over them and say "oh the guy at the front said to tell you I have an appointment for this" but i guess it's how they operate there. All told it took me about 40 minutes, but I'm sure yours will be quicker now

Scotcrawford66
Newly Registered

Post by Scotcrawford66 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:44 am

Hello all,

My daughter had her biometric data captured on the 06 June, and instill haven't heard anything from them. Eight months now from receiving her application.

How long does it take to verify the info they require??

May be we'll be lucky and get a nice Xmas surprise. :D :D

paul29
Newly Registered

Post by paul29 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Scotcrawford66 wrote:Hello all,

My daughter had her biometric data captured on the 06 June, and instill haven't heard anything from them. Eight months now from receiving her application.

How long does it take to verify the info they require??

May be we'll be lucky and get a nice Xmas surprise. :D :D
Call them on the Nationality Helpline selecting the over 6 months option and when they ask if you have called before about this, say "yes and I was told to call back".

They should then take your details and get back to you. Good luck.

NJProfessor
Newly Registered

Post by NJProfessor » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:56 am

I say thanks as well, bfrenchfry. You've been really helpful!

And canabrit, I have my biometrics appointment this Tuesday also; my application is using UKM (Child of a British mother.) I put "Overseas citizenship" in the online form as well. We'll see how it goes.

canabrit wrote:Good stuff,

johncameron
Newly Registered

Post by johncameron » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Hey Guys,
Can anyone give me a telephone number to chase up my daughters UKF application? Waiting so long and never get an email answered..

Thanks in advance

John

tealcosmo
Newly Registered

Post by tealcosmo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:52 pm

I thought I would stop lurking and say Hi. Thank you everyone for all the great info and support. Seems like with the USA biometrics (Really HO? Really?) thing I may be trekking to Vancouver or Toronto soon.

Haven't heard anything back yet.

Status on UKF:
Packet Received by HO: 6 November
Fee Deducted: 20 November
... waiting

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 pm

johncameron wrote:Hey Guys,
Can anyone give me a telephone number to chase up my daughters UKF application? Waiting so long and never get an email answered..

Thanks in advance

John
As Antsmall mentioned before:
The Home Office Nationality Hotline (or some such similar name) is 0300 123 2253 (choose option 1). If you call the 0300 123 2241 number (which they give on their letters and which is on this page http://contactnumbers.guru/home-office/ too) you'll just have to stay on hold for ages before being told to call the nationality hotline anyway, so it's better to call the nationality hotline directly.

From what I've heard from people with first hand experience trying to call is that the people on the phones aren't the ones processing applications, and they know nothing, and will blatantly lie to you, and potentially hang up on you, instead of giving you any useful answers. if you're in the UK your best option is to contact your MP, otherwise you're just in for an eternity of waiting

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:25 pm

At least if you've been waiting for more than six months you can talk to an Actual Person; however, that is of little use (even through the Nationality Hotline) because, as I was told last time I called about them sending me my documents in error with NO BIOMETRICS LETTER and losing my passport, the people who speak to applicants on the phone "cannot" send any form of communication to those who process the applications. They could not (allegedly) even send them a note stating that my documents had been sent in error (when I never asked for them back and was merely enquiring about biometrics in Canada for people stuck in the USA) and asking them to send me the biometrics letter which was the entire reason why they'd contacted me in the first place. All they were able to do was check some database which said that no biometrics letter had been sent. So it's not much use talking to them anyway as it has no effect on the application and cannot serve as a means to ask people to do things, including desperately necessary and overdue things. The morons who actually process the applications appear to be entirely insulated from the outside world, combining almost invariable incompetence with complete unaccountability.

johncameron
Newly Registered

Post by johncameron » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:48 am

Thanks bfrenchfry, for your fast response and good info.. top man .. Unfortunately I had been hoping there was another number as I've tried these in vain..
As Antsmall mentioned before:
The Home Office Nationality Hotline (or some such similar name) is 0300 123 2253 (choose option 1). If you call the 0300 123 2241 number (which they give on their letters and which is on this page http://contactnumbers.guru/home-office/ too) you'll just have to stay on hold for ages before being told to call the nationality hotline anyway, so it's better to call the nationality hotline directly.

From what I've heard from people with first hand experience trying to call is that the people on the phones aren't the ones processing applications, and they know nothing, and will blatantly lie to you, and potentially hang up on you, instead of giving you any useful answers. if you're in the UK your best option is to contact your MP, otherwise you're just in for an eternity of waiting

canabrit
Newly Registered

Post by canabrit » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Completed Biometrics today! I think bfrenchfry was indeed a trail blazer at the Toronto office, because they didn't seem confused at all. I was worried they'd get stuck on wanting a visa checklist, but as soon as they saw the UKF letter, they promptly took it (along with my passport), and went into the back office to process something. About 10-15 mins later the lady came back out and ushered me to the biometrics room. That part in itself is a piece of cake.

Soooooo..... I guess I've done everything on my end. I'm still missing half the documents I sent (naval records, a baptismal record, etc), so I'm hoping those will come back to me at some point. But otherwise I suppose it's just the waiting game. I had received that stock letter a couple weeks ago saying they'd need longer than six months because of the 'exceptionally complex issues' surrounding my application, but as others pointed out, they seem to issue that letter pretty frequently. But still, I could have a ways to go. At this point they've had my application for 2 1/2 months. And I believe there have been others on this forum who completed biometrics and then waited several more months, haven't there?

How long have people been waiting who have completed biometrics?

anahamilton
Newly Registered

Post by anahamilton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:39 pm

bright_star, saw that you sent me a private message, but when I try to read it here is what happens: "You are not authorised to read private messages." Can you email me at email address removed by moderator?

NJProfessor
Newly Registered

Post by NJProfessor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:33 am

canabrit wrote:Completed Biometrics today! I think bfrenchfry was indeed a trail blazer at the Toronto office, because they didn't seem confused at all. I was worried they'd get stuck on wanting a visa checklist, but as soon as they saw the UKF letter, they promptly took it (along with my passport), and went into the back office to process something. About 10-15 mins later the lady came back out and ushered me to the biometrics room. That part in itself is a piece of cake.

Soooooo..... I guess I've done everything on my end. I'm still missing half the documents I sent (naval records, a baptismal record, etc), so I'm hoping those will come back to me at some point. But otherwise I suppose it's just the waiting game. I had received that stock letter a couple weeks ago saying they'd need longer than six months because of the 'exceptionally complex issues' surrounding my application, but as others pointed out, they seem to issue that letter pretty frequently. But still, I could have a ways to go. At this point they've had my application for 2 1/2 months. And I believe there have been others on this forum who completed biometrics and then waited several more months, haven't there?

How long have people been waiting who have completed biometrics?

Like Canabrit, I completed biometrics on Tuesday; we might have even crossed paths. In any case, I'm applying under UKM, and the process was as simple as Canabrit states, probably because of bfrenchfry the week before. The guy checking at the entrance had a separate little slip of paper on which he found my name. Had to check all of my stuff - basically a backpack with my computer and my cell phone - in a small locker, was "wanded" like the secret service does here in Iowa where I am for the semester for Hillary Clinton & Donald Trump campaign events, and went in to wait. Took all of 15 minutes, tops.

So now we all wait.

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:02 am

Some of us are still waiting for biometrics even after seven months. Or perhaps just one of us.

Cloverbea
United Kingdom

Post by Cloverbea » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:41 pm

So, I'm starting the process of getting my husband to Canada to do his biometrics. For him I'm going to apply for a passport card rather than request his documents back from the UK, but I'm running into an issue.
I'm not doing a renewal or applying for lost or stolen, I just want a passport card for him to get into Canada. He doesn't mind doing an appointment at a post office rather than just mailing it in, but not sure how to proceed. Any ideas?

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Cloverbea wrote:So, I'm starting the process of getting my husband to Canada to do his biometrics. For him I'm going to apply for a passport card rather than request his documents back from the UK, but I'm running into an issue.
I'm not doing a renewal or applying for lost or stolen, I just want a passport card for him to get into Canada. He doesn't mind doing an appointment at a post office rather than just mailing it in, but not sure how to proceed. Any ideas?
I can't advise on the passport card process, but have you requested your biometric enrollment letter to go to Canada? Someone else on the forum tried and said they wanted to go up and UKVI told them no because they hadn't been waiting long enough and they expected biometrics in the US to be resolved before the people went over 6 months

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:27 am

A question for those of you who have enrolled your Biometrics in Toronto, when you logged in to make the appointment were you able to get an appointment within a short time frame?

I understand, from those who have kindly shared info about their experience here, that Biometrics can only be done on Tuesday mornings but I was wondering whether you were able to get an appointment within 1 or 2 weeks or did it take longer?

Thanks very much in advance.

bfrenchfry

Post by bfrenchfry » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Lizzie64 wrote:A question for those of you who have enrolled your Biometrics in Toronto, when you logged in to make the appointment were you able to get an appointment within a short time frame?

I understand, from those who have kindly shared info about their experience here, that Biometrics can only be done on Tuesday mornings but I was wondering whether you were able to get an appointment within 1 or 2 weeks or did it take longer?

Thanks very much in advance.
I was able to get the next Tuesday though I had to wait 2 weeks to have a day to take off work

Lizzie64
Newly Registered

Post by Lizzie64 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Bfrenchfry,

Thank you so much for your reply. Good to hear that you didn't have to wait to get an appointment.

In case it is of any help to anyone else here (although our applications our MN1's not UKF). I received the letter informing that Biometrics can not currently be done in the USA and to email to request taking them in another country if the application is urgent.

I emailed and asked whether it was possible to do the Biometrics in the UK and was told that it was but that I would need to select Canada or UK (or whichever country) at the time of requesting the enrollment letter because a UK letter can not be used in Canada or vise versa.

The applications are for my adopted children so I am trying to decide whether to put the $$ for flights to Canada towards flights to the UK (as we have been planning to visit parents and house hunt anyway). I think Canada probably makes more sense as long as we can go quickly which is why I wondered what the availability of appointments in Toronto might be like.

Thanks again and also to everyone else on this thread who has shared info about alternatives to waiting to take Biometrics in the USA, all much appreciated.

ninadf
Newly Registered

Post by ninadf » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm Aussie born to an English father and struggling with this UKF form. It's all the more difficult since I'm not actually in contact with my father so can't ask questions!

Can anyone please clarify for me: If your father was born in the UK, do you need to provide a certificate of his UK citizenship or just his birth certificate?

I've requested his citizenship certificate from the UK national archives but they are saying that if he "was born in the UK. If this is the case, then he would not need to register his British nationality or apply for naturalisation unless at some point he had renounced British citizenship."
But then UKF form says that I need to give:

- His certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United
Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as a British subject); (requested and they have suggested birth cert)
or
- Papers showing his legal adoption; or (not applicable)
 His expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport (don't have access to)

Somebody please help! I've tried emailing the gov.uk email but I keep getting form responses.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:33 pm

ninadf wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm Aussie born to an English father and struggling with this UKF form. It's all the more difficult since I'm not actually in contact with my father so can't ask questions!

Can anyone please clarify for me: If your father was born in the UK, do you need to provide a certificate of his UK citizenship or just his birth certificate?

I've requested his citizenship certificate from the UK national archives but they are saying that if he "was born in the UK. If this is the case, then he would not need to register his British nationality or apply for naturalisation unless at some point he had renounced British citizenship."
But then UKF form says that I need to give:

- His certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United
Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as a British subject); (requested and they have suggested birth cert)
or
- Papers showing his legal adoption; or (not applicable)
 His expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport (don't have access to)

Somebody please help! I've tried emailing the gov.uk email but I keep getting form responses.
If he was born in the UK, you need his birth certificate and passport or expired passport. He would not have a certificate of naturalisation. The forms cover many scenarios, so ignore the sections that are not applicable.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ninadf
Newly Registered

Post by ninadf » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks for your response! But not the answer I'd hoped for. I have not seen my father in many years and have no contact, so getting a passport of his, expired or otherwise, is pretty hard. Does anyone happen to know if I can request a copy from anywhere or have any other options? :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:06 pm

You can explain why you do not have the passport copy. Is your father named on your birth certificate and does that name match his birth certificate?

What nationality is your mother?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.