ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to Switzerland quick question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gabrio
Newly Registered

Travel to Switzerland quick question

Post by gabrio » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:43 pm

hi there,

i have a simple question. I am italian, we live in UK, my wife has a EU residence card and on Filipino passport for now.

can we visit Switzerland as easy as we usually travel to any other EU country?

i am not 100% about that.

thanks!
Gabrio

liksah

Re: Travel to Switzerland quick question

Post by liksah » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:24 am

Yes, Switzerland is part of the Schengen region and there are no border controls. You can visit it just like any other Schengen country.

gabrio
Newly Registered

Post by gabrio » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:43 am

great - thank you!

the hurricane

Post by the hurricane » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:13 pm

@liksah: your statement is not really correct. First of all , UK is an EU member but not part of the Schengen agreeement. on the flip side, Switzerland has signed the Schengen agreement and but is not part of the EU. theoretically they could travel without visa based on the bilateral agreements between EU-Switzerland on the free movement of person (FMP) , I highly doubt that it is possible. I suggest that they consult the Swiss embassy in the EU ( i am ninety percents sure that his wife will need to apply for a schengen visa).

liksah

Post by liksah » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:23 am

the hurricane wrote:an EU member but not part of the Schengen agreeement. on the flip side, Switzerland has signed the Schengen agreement and but is not part of the EU. theoretically they could travel without visa based on the bilateral agreements between EU-Switzerland on the free movement of person (FMP) , I highly doubt that it is possible. I suggest that they consult the Swiss embassy in the EU ( i am ninety percents sure that his wife will need to apply for a schengen visa).
You are right. Swiss law seems to be ambiguous with regards to this (especially with regards to UK issued permits) and that makes things way more complicated.

Of course, entering Schengen in another member state and going to visit Switzerland should not be a problem depending on the type of residence permit held in the UK.