ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application for wife

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

KA941
United Kingdom

Naturalisation application for wife

Post by KA941 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question regarding naturalisation application for my wife, brief background below,

My Wife came to UK in Mar 2011 as Tier 1 General dependent.

She then got ILR in Jan 2015. My question, would she be able to apply for naturaliastion after 12 months of ILR i.e. in Jan 2016? Or would she have to wait until Mar 2016 to meet the 5 year eligibility to have lived in UK for 5 years?

Thanks
KA

torikelly91
BANNED

Re: Naturalisation application for wife

Post by torikelly91 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:27 pm

KA941 wrote:Hi Guys,

Just a quick question regarding naturalisation application for my wife, brief background below,

My Wife came to UK in Mar 2011 as Tier 1 General dependent.

She then got ILR in Jan 2015. My question, would she be able to apply for naturaliastion after 12 months of ILR i.e. in Jan 2016? Or would she have to wait until Mar 2016 to meet the 5 year eligibility to have lived in UK for 5 years?

Thanks
KA

Are you yourself a British citizen?

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:34 pm

Hi
No we both got ILR on same day
Thanks

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:02 am

May be worth mentioning that she entered the UK in 2011, i.e. Before the 5 year rule came in force in July 2012.

torikelly91
BANNED

Post by torikelly91 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:22 am

Suggest your wife completes a full 5 years.

Anything less would likely end up in refusal as her qualifying period is 5 years.
If you were British citizen then it would be a different story but you both need to complete a full 5 years before applying for citizenship.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:26 am

She also must satisfy
2 wrote:(a)that the applicant was in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the period of five years ending with the date of the application, and that the number of days on which he was absent from the United Kingdom in that period does not exceed 450; and
Etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:11 am

Many thanks for the help

My question is wouldn't she fall under 3 year rule rather than 5 year rule as she entered prior to 2012?

Secondly, for me, would I be able to apply for naturalisation in jan 2016? I came to UK in 2003 as student and was granted tier 1 general in February 2010

Thanks
KA

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:02 am

The 5-year residence naturalisation requirement has been in-force since 1983! The 3-year residence naturalisation requirement is only applicable to the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.

You may be able to satisfy its requirements.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:45 am

vinny wrote:The 5-year residence naturalisation requirement has been in-force since 1983! The 3-year residence naturalisation requirement is only applicable to the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.

You may be able to satisfy its requirements.
Bravo. Understood

And finally just to clarify, say if I want to apply for naturalisation on 20 jan 2016, I need to ensure that I was in the country on 20 jan 2011. If not, then I'd have to wait for the day when I returned and count 5 years from there on?

Secondly, I did a degree from UK, do you think it will be sufficient for language requirement? And my wife did B1 from trinity college would that also be sufficient especially after the new rules?
Thanks again

torikelly91
BANNED

Post by torikelly91 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:02 am

And finally just to clarify, say if I want to apply for naturalisation on 20 jan 2016, I need to ensure that I was in the country on 20 jan 2011. If not, then I'd have to wait for the day when I returned and count 5 years from there on?

Correct-

Secondly, I did a degree from UK, do you think it will be sufficient for language requirement? And my wife did B1 from trinity college would that also be sufficient especially after the new rules?

- Your UK degree should be sufficient.
When did your wife do her B1 test ?
If it was before April 2015, and she used it for ILR she should be able to use that one BUT please be aware that HO have been requesting people to do new English language tests after submission

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Ok Many thanks

My wife passed her B1 test in May from trinity college and used it for her ILR
So do you think it will be sufficient and I think I will go with this and see what will happen.
Its a bit odd for HO to ask for English language test?
Just on a separate note - do you which test have they been asking for?
thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:14 pm

The list of Approved tests and test providers (click), make sure her test is on the list.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

torikelly91
BANNED

Post by torikelly91 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Thankyou CR001 I was looking for the link.

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Disappointed...

My wife did it from trinity college in London Euston but that is no longer on the new list. Does that mean she will have to do the test again? Even though she has used the test to satisfy language requirement for her ILR?

If she has to, does anyone know what level she will have to do the test? Previously she did B1 Grade 5

Although, the website says that the approved list of centrers was to be used as of April 2015

Appreciate your help

torikelly91
BANNED

Post by torikelly91 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:44 pm

She should be okay to use the certificate she had providing you tick the correct box in the AN form.

But

Be prepared they may request she do another
so if I was in your situation Id do another test and submit new one to reduce any delay. Yes it's more cost involved but it's worth every penny if your wife is approved later.

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:48 pm

torikelly91 wrote:She should be okay to use the certificate she had providing you tick the correct box in the AN form.

But

so if I was in your situation Id do another test and submit new one to reduce any delay. Yes it's more cost involved but it's worth every penny if your wife is approved later.
Hmmm ... interesting

Even though Question 1.22 - I could choose the option " I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th Oct 2013 - As her settlement was in Jan 2015.
Furthermore AN Booklet (pg 13) also confirms the above?
And by asking for another test, wouldnt you see this a contradiction to the requirements?

Set aside, if she has to do another test, do you know which test she should do, and how much it costs?
Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:08 am

KA941 wrote:
torikelly91 wrote:She should be okay to use the certificate she had providing you tick the correct box in the AN form.

But

Hmmm ... interesting

Even though Question 1.22 - I could choose the option " I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th Oct 2013 - As her settlement was in Jan 2015.
And by asking for another test, wouldnt you see this a contradiction to the requirements?

Set aside, if she has to do another test, do you know which test she should do, and how much it costs?
Thanks
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:10 am

KA941 wrote:

But

Hmmm ... interesting

Thanks
"My wife did it from trinity college in London Euston but that is no longer on the new list" - Check the list to see what is on it! :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:27 am

See last post of this topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:25 pm

sushdmehta wrote:See last post of this topic.
Thanks for this. I remember seeing this list before. So according to post, would you agree that she should be included in exempt category as she got ILR in February 2015 i.e. After October 2013?
Also do you know if there is any maintainence requirement? For how long? And how much? Do we have to send bank statements with naturalisation application?
Thanks

tripping

Post by tripping » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:29 pm

KA941 wrote:
Thanks for this. I remember seeing this list before. So according to post, would you agree that she should be included in exempt category as she got ILR in February 2015 i.e. After October 2013?
Also do you know if there is any maintainence requirement? For how long? And how much? Do we have to send bank statements with naturalisation application?
Thanks
Have you read the guidance and requirements yet? You will see you will find your answer THERE!! Crikey!

torikelly91
BANNED

Post by torikelly91 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:36 am

tripping wrote:
KA941 wrote:
Thanks
Have you read the guidance and requirements yet? You will see you will find your answer THERE!! Crikey!

:P :D

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:13 pm

tripping wrote:
KA941 wrote:
Thanks
Not everything is listed and goes according to guidance. That's why I was after people's personal experiences and some expert advice and not yours. PATHETIC....!!!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:16 pm

KA941 wrote:Also do you know if there is any maintainence requirement? For how long? And how much? Do we have to send bank statements with naturalisation application?
Thanks
No to all of your questions. The guidance is clear on what needs to be submitted. If the above are not listed, it is not required. Your wife is not applying for anything as a dependent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KA941
United Kingdom

Post by KA941 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
KA941 wrote:Also do you know if there is any maintainence requirement? For how long? And how much? Do we have to send bank statements with naturalisation application?
Thanks
No to all of your questions. The guidance is clear on what needs to be submitted. If the above are not listed, it is not required. Your wife is not applying for anything as a dependent.
Brilliant answer CR001. Short and to the point
Many thanks