ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Translating document for British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thunderb0lt
United Kingdom

Translating document for British Passport

Post by thunderb0lt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:23 am

Hello

I'm looking for some advice on getting a foreign birth certificate translated from Bengali to English for British passport application. Just wondering how I can go about looking for a company that I can use and will be accepted by passport office. Also what is a reasonable price to pay for this service.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Translating document for British Passport

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:29 am

Might be easier to enquire from your embassy or one of the reputable translation companies (we are not allowed to list/advertise company names etc on the forum).

Is this passport application for yourself or for a child?

What are your or childs claims to British citizenship?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thunderb0lt
United Kingdom

Post by thunderb0lt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:38 am

CR001 wrote:Might be easier to enquire from your embassy or one of the reputable translation companies (we are not allowed to list/advertise company names etc on the forum).

Is this passport application for yourself or for a child?

What are your or childs claims to British citizenship?
Thanks for prompt reply CR001.

It's actually for my niece. She was born in Bangladesh, she arrived in UK as she is british by descent, her father is British from birth. She has certificate to entitlement to right of abode in the Bangladesh passport.

We submitted the application to passport office, had provided both English and Bengali version of birth certificate however they have returned as they want translation of the Bengali birth certificate.

I don't know of any reputable companies.

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:43 am

thunderb0lt wrote:We submitted the application to passport office, had provided both English and Bengali version of birth certificate however they have returned as they want translation of the Bengali birth certificate.
What was the difference in what was provided and what they wanted?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thunderb0lt
United Kingdom

Post by thunderb0lt » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 am

vinny wrote:
thunderb0lt wrote:We submitted the application to passport office, had provided both English and Bengali version of birth certificate however they have returned as they want translation of the Bengali birth certificate.
What was the difference in what was provided and what they wanted?
I'm not sure. The English certificate was an English version rather than a translation. could it be that did not know that the Bengali document was also a birth certificate and asked for a translation of this document on this basis.

Not sure what to do, get document translated (how and where) or further enquire with passport office.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:07 am

If it was an official English version birth certificate, it might have been wise to reference this with a brief covering letter. Contact your embassy, they would be best to advise you on reputable organisations who are registered to do translations of official documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thunderb0lt
United Kingdom

Post by thunderb0lt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:07 am

CR001 wrote:If it was an official English version birth certificate, it might have been wise to reference this with a brief covering letter. Contact your embassy, they would be best to advise you on reputable organisations who are registered to do translations of official documents.
Thanks, we have managed to get the translation aspect sorted.

We are having a look at the guidance form and little confused at to what documents need to be submitted (i.e. do we need to submit grandparents' documents).

The father was born in UK after 1 Jan 1983. At this time Grandfather was naturalised, Grandmother had ILR.

Is the father British from Birth (Otherwise than by descent). Just trying to establish whether Father was british from birth in his own right. If this is the case do we need to submit Grandparents' documents for the passport applicaiton for the child. The child was born abroad in 2003 and already has right of abode in foregin passport.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:17 am

No, not required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

thunderb0lt
United Kingdom

Post by thunderb0lt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks, so just to confirm, father is British from birth in his own right? Is this same as otherwise than by descent?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 am

Yes
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if the documents translations have an expiration date?

I will apply for British Citizenship next month, but my documents were translated from Portuguese to English in 2009.

Do you think it can be a problem?

Cheers!

torikelly91
BANNED

Post by torikelly91 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:47 pm

As long as it's a certified translation it should be fine.
I had my marriage certificate translated the embassy of the country where I married and it was accepted no problem.

bright_star

Post by bright_star » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:41 pm

torikelly91 wrote:As long as it's a certified translation it should be fine.
I had my marriage certificate translated the embassy of the country where I married and it was accepted no problem.
Thanks, torikelly91!

Yes, it's a certified translation.