ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travel abroad whilst Passport application is underway

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Eureka.Power

travel abroad whilst Passport application is underway

Post by Eureka.Power » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Good People out there,

Couple of question my wife has her ceremony yesterday. We need to travel abroad for couple of weeks and I am sure even i apply i wont get her British passport in 1 2 weeks. Questions is If I apply for her passport today how long do they take to send the original documents back so she can travel on her old passport. Also whilst her British passport is underway would that cancel her ILR how would she enter back in the UK ?

thanks

AD

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: travel abroad whilst Passport application is underway

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:56 am

Eureka.Power wrote:Hi Good People out there,

Couple of question my wife has her ceremony yesterday. We need to travel abroad for couple of weeks and I am sure even i apply i wont get her British passport in 1 2 weeks. Questions is If I apply for her passport today how long do they take to send the original documents back so she can travel on her old passport. Also whilst her British passport is underway would that cancel her ILR how would she enter back in the UK ?

thanks

AD
Her ILR was cancelled when she attended the ceremony.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Eureka.Power

Post by Eureka.Power » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Many thanks ... could you please provide me with the homeoffice link which states that?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Eureka.Power wrote:Many thanks ... could you please provide me with the homeoffice link which states that?
Not really, I don't have time.

It's common sense, you can't be British and have ILR at the same time.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tripping

Post by tripping » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:25 pm

If you absolutely have to travel now before getting British passport, then suggest you bring your naturalisation certificate, your now cancelled ILR biometric card, your non British passport. Be prepared for lots of questions from passport officials on why as a British Citizen your wife did not obtain British passport prior to travel. They should have electronic proof on their systems of all your previous visa and ceremony history - how that will interpret that Im afraid is in the passport official hands. Your destination may not be a problem, but could be on your return to UK. All the best.