ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling abroad after applying Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raomvj

Travelling abroad after applying Naturalisation

Post by raomvj » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I along with my wife have recently applied Naturalisation under Tier 1 General, 5 year route. My wife was on ILR PBS dependant. We need to travel abroad in late January for few weeks. Is there any restriction on number of days absent when Naturalisation under process?

Thanks for your time in responding.

Thanks
Rao

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling abroad after applying Naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Is there any restriction on number of days absent when Naturalisation under process?
No, you are free to travel however, be mindful of the need to enroll biometrics if you have not had a letter yet by the time you travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

raomvj

Post by raomvj » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks CR001. We had already given biometrics during ILR in October 2014. Do we need it give it again now?

Thanks
Rao

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Nope, you only do biometrics once for citizenship (only mentioned biometrics as you stated you 'applied recently').

Then also bear in mind that you have a time limit within which to book your ceremony so make sure someone is keeping an eye on your post while you are away.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

raomvj

Post by raomvj » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks CR001.

Sorry for the confusion. I have recently applied my Naturalisation on 11/11/15. You have mentioned 'you only do biometrics once for citizenship'. Does it mean that I should give biometrics now for citizenship even though we gave biometrics during ILR last year?

Thanks
Rao

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:35 pm

You will receive a letter to enroll biometrics (again) for your citizenship application. This is a new requirement since April 2015.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

raomvj

Post by raomvj » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I applied Naturalisation on 11/11/15 in ILR+1 year route. I have recently received biometrics letter and given my biometrics in post office. As per the timelines in other posts I am expecting my naturalisation in Feb-March (I may be estimating too less).

I need to travel abroad in 1st week of Feb and hoping to come back in 1st week of March. In case if I get my Naturalisation in 2nd week of Feb (I will ask somebody to check my post anyway) what happens to my ILR status when I come back to the UK in 1st week of March? Will I face any issues when I come back?

My second question: My understanding is we need to take oath within 3 months of receiving our Naturalisation certificate. Please confirm.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks
Rao

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:36 pm

You are only British AFTER you attend your ceremony.

You do not get your certificate in the post, you get a letter and the the certificate is only given to you at the ceremony.

You have 21 days within which you need to book your ceremony once you receive the letter and you have to attend your ceremony (public or private) within 3 months. The risk if you don't is that your certificate is sent back to HO and you might have to start the whole process again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

raomvj

Post by raomvj » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks CR001.

"You have 21 days within which you need to book your ceremony once you receive the letter".
I hope I can do it from abroad also if I arrange my friend to check my post once a week while I am away.

Thanks
Rao

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Should be fine yes to call the council and book from abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)