ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language for Citizenship-satisfied during settlement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sensekm
Newly Registered

English Language for Citizenship-satisfied during settlement

Post by sensekm » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am

Hi,
I obtained my ILR in Jan 2015 and planning to apply Naturalization in Jan 2016. Due to the recent change in English language requirement, its not very clear whether PBS is acceptable anymore. When contacted Home office help line was advised to get UKNARIC letter to meet that my degree (studied outside UK) is equivalent to UK degree and taught in English.

When informed AN Guidance document still referring to PBS as acceptable, I was told since there is no option in the application form to choose PBS as acceptable evidence, advised to submit covering letter referring the guidance document along with PBS print out and the outcome will be decided by case worker.

I don't want to take risk and lose the entire application fee, so planning to choose other option which is [b]'I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013[/b]'.

As part of my ILR application, I submitted PBS printout and degree certificate to satisfy English language requirement. My query is can I choose option '[b]'I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013[/b]' or this this is valid only for people who had taken language test in the home office approved Centre.

If I choose above option, do I still need to submit PBS printout and degree certificate.

Thanks,
sensekm

solospy
Member of Standing

Re: English Language for Citizenship-satisfied during settle

Post by solospy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:34 am

sensekm wrote:Hi,
I obtained my ILR in Jan 2015 and planning to apply Naturalization in Jan 2016. Due to the recent change in English language requirement, its not very clear whether PBS is acceptable anymore. When contacted Home office help line was advised to get UKNARIC letter to meet that my degree (studied outside UK) is equivalent to UK degree and taught in English.

When informed AN Guidance document still referring to PBS as acceptable, I was told since there is no option in the application form to choose PBS as acceptable evidence, advised to submit covering letter referring the guidance document along with PBS print out and the outcome will be decided by case worker.

I don't want to take risk and lose the entire application fee, so planning to choose other option which is 'I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013'.

As part of my ILR application, I submitted PBS printout and degree certificate to satisfy English language requirement. My query is can I choose option ''I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013' or this this is valid only for people who had taken language test in the home office approved Centre.

If I choose above option, do I still need to submit PBS printout and degree certificate.

Thanks,
sensekm
Tick the box that "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013" and also send the PBS print out with degree certificate.

sensekm
Newly Registered

Post by sensekm » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:40 am

thanks for your quick response.

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:56 am

Slolospy is right do as he says.
*The gravity*

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:57 am

fbutt50 wrote:Slolospy is right do as he says.
Thanks for confirmation :) On a lighter note, I would personally ask for some confirmation from official document(s)/link(s) for any advice given.

I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:04 am

sensekm wrote:I was told since there is no option in the application form to choose PBS as acceptable evidence,
Even SET(O) doesn't have any such.
Both SET(O) and Form AN have the same wordings with regards to options to choose in the form on the basis of academic qualifications.

So how come your PBS printout was accepted for SET(O) but will not be accepted for AN??

Just another classic example that certifies the uselessness / gross incompetence of HO helplines!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

sensekm
Newly Registered

Post by sensekm » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks for all your response.

What do you suggest in my case, should I do as solospy said choose option

[b]''I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013" [/b]
and send the PBS printout with copy of degree certificate.

(OR) choose option

[b]I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and[/b]:
[b]i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; [/b]

and send PBS printout with copy of degree certificate.

What is your suggestion? Please advice.

Thanks,
Sensekm

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Your choice!

sensekm
Newly Registered

Wrong Mothers name in Indian Passport during Citizenship

Post by sensekm » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Team,
I'm in the process of applying citizenship in UK, in my Indian passport my mother name is printed as 'ABC' (example) instead of 'XYZ (example)'. I didn't bother to change this in the past due to so much of difficult process to get them changed.

Can I specify correct mother name in my Naturalization application instead of the one printed in my passport or use the one as in passport?

If I enter the correct name, instead of one from the passport, whether this will have any impact my application approval.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Sensekm

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:22 am

Please keep your queries about naturalisation in a single topic.

Use the name mentioned in your passport. It is only you who knows that it is not a real one! HO doesn't .. and cannot find out.
If you use the actual name in AN, you will have difficult time proving so (and why your ID document doesn't have the actual name)!!

call2bala

Post by call2bala » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:56 am

Dear All
Thanks for this topic. I have similar question for my wife AN naturalisation application.
She obtained ILR in Mar 2013 and she planned to apply as a dependent of my on 3+ years of stay in UK route.

Her university Bachelors degree was taught in English and the UKBA TIER-2 POINTS BASED CALCULATOR AWARDED 10 POINTS FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Please let me know what options we should tick to attach tier-2 PBS printout to claim English language points for Citizenship application.

I copied the choices from application form below and there is nothing called PBS calculator print out.
Shall I assume NARIC is same as PBS calculator?

Thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------

In the application form,
I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, that is on
the Home Office’s list of recognised tests and was taken at an approved test centre (Go to question 1.23)
Or

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised
standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
ii. the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);
Or
I am a national of a majority English speaking country;
Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013;
Or
I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my physical or mental condition (physical and/
or mental illness may not lead automatically to exemption. You should provide reasons
on page 23. Your application may fail and the fee retained if insufficient reasons for
exemption are provided).
Further guidance about the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement can be found
in the Guide and Booklet AN that accompanies this form. Additional information can also be
found on our website.

sensekm wrote:Thanks for all your response.

What do you suggest in my case, should I do as solospy said choose option

''I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013"
and send the PBS printout with copy of degree certificate.

(OR) choose option

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
i. UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English;

and send PBS printout with copy of degree certificate.

What is your suggestion? Please advice.

Thanks,
Sensekm