ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is ILR for 6 years now????

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kck9
BANNED

Is ILR for 6 years now????

Post by kck9 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:29 am

Friends

Check this link http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/nov/23visa.htm

It says that
As per the Immigration Rules for discretionary leave, one cannot apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) until completion of six years, the forum said adding the qualifying period for ILR as an HSMP holder is five years now.
Dont know what does that discretionary leave means!!!

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:43 am

DL is not to do with work permit or HSMP holders, don't worry.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:55 pm

what does that discretionary leave means???

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:13 pm

DL is one part of the replacement for the previous policy of Exceptional Leave to Remain (ELR). The other is humanitarian protection.

Unaccompanied asylum-seeking children, for example, are usually granted DL until they are 18. Those who win under Article 8 are usually granted DL.

The only relevance to HSMP is that some of those who have won at the AIT when they didn't get an HSMP extension are being granted DL.

Discretionary Leave

Discretionary Leave (DL) may be granted for a limited number of specific
reasons. These people will either not be considered to be in need of
international protection, or will have been excluded from such protection.

DL may be granted to an applicant who:

• Has an Article 8 claim.

• Has an Article 3 claim only on medical grounds or severe humanitarian
cases.

• Is an Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child (UASC) for whom
adequate reception arrangements in their country are not available.

• Would qualify for asylum or Humanitarian Protection but has been
excluded.

• Is able to demonstrate particularly compelling reasons why removal
would not be appropriate.

An individual grant of DL should not be made for more than 3 years, or less in specific cases as directed by the API's or separate notices which may be issued from time to time. UASC's should normally be granted for 3 years or until their 18th birthday, whichever is earlier, although there may be some exceptions. After the DL period has expired the claimants situation will be reviewed with further leave granted if appropriate. A person on DL will normally become eligible to apply for ILR after 6 years.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:52 am

thank you for your explanation avjones.....

article8
Newly Registered

HSMPians Turned Refugees

Post by article8 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:16 am

That appear to even be further rape of justice! You apply for HSMP Ext under certain pre-notified terms, HO cheated on the terms and denies extension. You argue your case at the AIT and wins, in another arm twisting of justice HO either shamelessly appeals against you or issues a DL, an inferior refugee-type visa with completely different hsmp-unrelated set of conditions - what absurdity?!
avjones wrote: The only relevance to HSMP is that some of those who have won at the AIT when they didn't get an HSMP extension are being granted DL.
Avjones: knowing much about this DL thing as a barrister, a question for you please - another forum member writes -
sarniw wrote: Now I'm waiting for a date to be set for the review. I've been told it could be up to three months before a date is set and the date set will be another three to six months after that. http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... hlight=ait
Could you please coroborrate the underlined, thanks?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:37 am

replied on that thread,

article8
Newly Registered

Post by article8 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:45 am

oh, didnt know you were on my heels, thanks anyway!

Bhumi

Post by Bhumi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:40 am

hi guys,
Good to have started this forum. My frnds had recently applied for his HSMP through an immigration consultant. His lawyer informed him that the ILR will be changed to 7 yrs from next year onwards for everyone. Although i did not agree to him surprisingly enough after apeaking to another immigration lawyer he was given the same infomation.
Had anyone enquired about this.

I am not sure what kind of rules is this country trying to bring?

kck9
BANNED

Post by kck9 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:49 am

They will keep on change.....dont know where it is going to endup......

also you can see how they are backing up there changes

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/nov/28labour.htm

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:48 pm

kck9 wrote:They will keep on change.....dont know where it is going to endup......
Out of everyone's reach, that's where. :wink:
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture