ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confirming earliest naturalisation application dates

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pred02

Confirming earliest naturalisation application dates

Post by pred02 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi,

I have been in the UK since Feb 15, 2010 first under the Tier 1 visa and then I got my IRL on Jan 6, 2015. I met the residence requirements in terms of time outside the UK in terms of absence over 6 years and the last 12 months.

1. I am planning on using the Naturalisation Checking Service so I can get my documents back. Is Jan 6, 2016 the earliest date that I can go into the NCS to apply? If I use NCS can I still use my passport and travel during the period my application is pending?

2. I understand that I also needed to be in the UK the day the naturalisation service receives my application 5 years ago. I assume that means that I need to have been in the UK in the period Jan 6-10, 2011?

3. For references and professions, I know the list of acceptable professions is https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf Does one or both of my referees need to satisfy one of these requirements? Do both need to be British citizens?

Thanks

david1955
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: Confirming earliest naturalisation application dates

Post by david1955 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:22 pm

pred02 wrote:Hi,

I have been in the UK since Feb 15, 2010 first under the Tier 1 visa and then I got my IRL on Jan 6, 2015. I met the residence requirements in terms of time outside the UK in terms of absence over 6 years and the last 12 months.

1. I am planning on using the Naturalisation Checking Service so I can get my documents back. Is Jan 6, 2016 the earliest date that I can go into the NCS to apply? If I use NCS can I still use my passport and travel during the period my application is pending? YES, they will photocopy all your documents and return back the originals except life in uk test certificate which they send as original

2. I understand that I also needed to be in the UK the day the naturalisation service receives my application 5 years ago. I assume that means that I need to have been in the UK in the period Jan 6-10, 2011? YES

3. For references and professions, I know the list of acceptable professions is https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf Does one or both of my referees need to satisfy one of these requirements? Do both need to be British citizens?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:46 pm

One referee must be British. Your professional referee I think can be any nationality. Both must have known you for 3 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pred02

Post by pred02 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks. Also I changed the spelling of my first name from my birth name when I moved to the US about 15 years ago. I have the name change certificate, do I need to include that in the application or just explain?

pred02

Few naturalization questions

Post by pred02 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi,

I am submitting my naturalisation for British citizen application early January and have a couple of questions from the Guidance.

Application Form:

Section 1.7 - I legally changed my first name in the US. Should I include a copy of the name change certificate or is this not necessary

Section 2.2 - The number of holidays cannot fit on the page, I prepared a table printout in Excel like for the ILR that has all my absences listed. Is it all right to include this versus having to write down all the dates in the box on page 23.

Guidance:

Page 15 (December edition of the guidance) - it mentions that if your passport is not stamped when you come in the UK I need to provide additional information. My non-EU passport (the one that I am submitting) was stamped when I first entered and continued to be stamped to all the re-entry points until 2013. At this point Croatia entered the European Union I started to re-enter the UK using this passport to save pages in my passport. Is this a problem and do I need to present any additional information?

Thanks

noajthan

Re: Few naturalization questions

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:49 pm

pred02 wrote:Hi,

I am submitting my naturalisation for British citizen application early January and have a couple of questions from the Guidance.

Application Form:

Section 1.7 - I legally changed my first name in the US. Should I include a copy of the name change certificate or is this not necessary

Section 2.2 - The number of holidays cannot fit on the page, I prepared a table printout in Excel like for the ILR that has all my absences listed. Is it all right to include this versus having to write down all the dates in the box on page 23.

Guidance:

Page 15 (December edition of the guidance) - it mentions that if your passport is not stamped when you come in the UK I need to provide additional information. My non-EU passport (the one that I am submitting) was stamped when I first entered and continued to be stamped to all the re-entry points until 2013. At this point Croatia entered the European Union I started to re-enter the UK using this passport to save pages in my passport. Is this a problem and do I need to present any additional information?

Thanks
1.7 Yes supply corroborating evidence.

2.2 Should be acceptable if in similar format to the table in the form.
Just ensure it's clear & easy to read.
Suggest you cross-reference it from the 'additional/further info' section of the form.

Residence.
It's your responsibility to provide proof of residence (& all other requirements ofcourse).

To demonstrate your residence in UK since 2013 you can use employers' letter/s &/or letters from educational establishments (& etc) as suggested in the guidance.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

TheMouseReturns

Re: Few naturalization questions

Post by TheMouseReturns » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:51 pm

pred02 wrote:Section 1.7 - I legally changed my first name in the US. Should I include a copy of the name change certificate or is this not necessary
As the application form asks, "Name at birth if different from above. (If the names you have given are different or spelt differently from the name shown on your passport, please explain why on page 23)".
pred02 wrote:Section 2.2 - The number of holidays cannot fit on the page, I prepared a table printout in Excel like for the ILR that has all my absences listed. Is it all right to include this versus having to write down all the dates in the box on page 23.
As the application form says, "If necessary, please continue on page 23 of this application form".

pred02

Re: Conitnuous Residency For Citizenship Application

Post by pred02 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks. I checked my travel log and I was in the UK on the day application will be received 5 years ago. Do I need to submit proof of that and if so what constitutes proof? Not sure how they can exactly check.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:21 am

pred02 wrote:Thanks. I checked my travel log and I was in the UK on the day application will be received 5 years ago. Do I need to submit proof of that and if so what constitutes proof? Not sure how they can exactly check.
Passport from that era will suffice.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:22 am

Stamp in your passport is sufficient. Also, make sure that your window of 'physically present 5 years ago' is not so small that it creates a problem (i.e. you were in the UK for 2 days and left again).

Will you apply through NCS or by post when the time comes?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pred02

Post by pred02 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:31 am

Stamp in your passport is sufficient. Also, make sure that your window of 'physically present 5 years ago' is not so small that it creates a problem (i.e. you were in the UK for 2 days and left again).

Will you apply through NCS or by post when the time comes?
I will be applying through NCS. I am submitting my application on Jan 6th, the earliest trip 5 years ago was at beginning of February (Feb 2nd) so I hope this is sufficient for them to check.

I do not have many UK entry stamps from 2014 as Croatia became a EEA member so I started to use that passport to enter the UK (but I still do have in my non-EU passport the entry stamps for other countries). I have letters from my employers that I used for the IRL (confirm my employment and holiday) can I submit those as well?

pred02

How to prove 5 year residence for naturalization application

Post by pred02 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi,

I have been in the UK since 2010, got my ILR in Jan of last year am eligible to apply for naturalization in January as it is 1 year that i had a ILR.

From Feb 2010 to Jan 2013 I had a Tier 1 visa in my passport. The visa was stamped when I entered the UK.
From Jan 2013 - Jan 2015 I had a Tier 1 BRP card that I returned when I got my ILR
From Jan 2015 I had an ILR

I had a non-EU passport so all entry has been stamped up to Sept 2014 when (as I am a citizen of Croatia) I started to use my Croatian passport at UK airport (it was faster and it saved stamps).

I am submitting my ILR and my US passport with my application. Do I need to submit any additional documents?

Also as I am using the Nationality checking service, what pages in my passport are they going to copy?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Please keep queries about your naturalisation under a single topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

pred02

Post by pred02 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:43 am

Hi,

Inam kindly following up on my query regarding if I need to submit additional paperwork to prove residence in the UK if I do not have UK entry stampa in my passport since 2014 due to entering with a Croatian passport.

I have my original UK visa in my passport with original stamp as well as the ILR issued in Jan2015. I have not exceeded the maximum no of days allowed.

Thanka