ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS Academic Not Accepted - 3 working days to respond??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ibraa

IELTS Academic Not Accepted - 3 working days to respond??

Post by ibraa » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Dear Fellow Forum Members

I have received a letter today (24 December) asking me to send in an approved language certificate and been given a deadline of 3 January 2016 to comply. The letter says that the deadline won't be extended under any circumstances and if I won't provide this evidence by this date, my application WILL BE REFUSED. :shock:
I provided an IELTS Academic Language Exam Certificate with a score of 8.5 (C2 Level), but it seems that they won't accept it as I have not sit the exam in an "approved test centre" - what a BS..

Now, I quickly booked an approved exam for 2 January 2016 and I will surely pass, but I will only get the certificate around 9 January 2016.

3 January is literally 3 working days away from the receipt of this letter and the post offices are closed until 29 December 2015.

Given the circumstances, do you think they would extend the deadline as it's an extremely busy period of the year and the 3 working days doesn't sound a lot..? What shall I do? UKVI will be closed until 29 December 2015..

I am so anxious now and really hoping someone will give me some advice..

Thanks in advance!

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: IELTS Academic Not Accepted - 3 working days to respond?

Post by UKBALoveStory » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Can you please tell the following.

When did you applied for citizenship? I mean date...
What is the approval date for your ILR? and have you submitted the same certificate for your ILR which you submitted for your citizenship application?

Thanks
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi there!

I've applied on 13 October 2015. I am an EEA national, was issued a Document Certifying Permanent Residency last year and after 14 months I applied for naturalisation..

I've sat my IELTS in September 2015 in Bristol (appearantly not on the 'nice' list)..

blackstreak
Newly Registered

Post by blackstreak » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:25 pm

I would suggest send them a cover letter explaining that the result form will be available on the 9th of January

At the meanwhile post them the proof of booking that you are doing the test on the 2nd of January by the Next day delivery guaranteed

Might be examiner would be able to put few words in a letter that you did attended the exam

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:51 pm

ibraa wrote:Dear Fellow Forum Members

I have received a letter today (24 December) asking me to send in an approved language certificate and been given a deadline of 3 January 2016 to comply. The letter says that the deadline won't be extended under any circumstances and if I won't provide this evidence by this date, my application WILL BE REFUSED. :shock:
I provided an IELTS Academic Language Exam Certificate with a score of 8.5 (C2 Level), but it seems that they won't accept it as I have not sit the exam in an "approved test centre" - what a BS..

Now, I quickly booked an approved exam for 2 January 2016 and I will surely pass, but I will only get the certificate around 9 January 2016.

3 January is literally 3 working days away from the receipt of this letter and the post offices are closed until 29 December 2015.

Given the circumstances, do you think they would extend the deadline as it's an extremely busy period of the year and the 3 working days doesn't sound a lot..? What shall I do? UKVI will be closed until 29 December 2015..

I am so anxious now and really hoping someone will give me some advice..

Thanks in advance!
Bizarre.
You seem to have applied before the rules changed in November 2015.

My understanding is, if your certificate was on Ofqual website it should have been acceptable (before November 2015)..
- did you check if it was listed as an ESOL qualification on Ofqual website?

How did you complete the AN form - which specific questions (about proof of English) did you tick on the version of the form you used ?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:04 pm

fyi - link to Ofqual website:
http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Possibly similar case where poster had some higher ESOL / IELTS English qualifications accepted in a naturalisation application made before November 2015:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 92307.html

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:55 am

The Nationality Team caseworkers seem to be confused about the "date of application" and the fact that it (date of application) determines the rules / policy instructions applicable.

You applied a month before the new rules came into effect!!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:50 am

noajthan wrote:Bizarre.

My understanding is, if your certificate was on Ofqual website it should have been acceptable (before November 2015)..

How did you complete the AN form - which specific questions (about proof of English) did you tick on the version of the form you used ?
I've completed May 2015 version. I ticked the box, which said that I completed a SELT test and provided the Test Report Number on the form.

How do you mean that I've applied before the rules changed? Could you please go into details?

Thanks!

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:13 am

The reason your IELTS is not accepted is quite obvious from your statement that you sat in IELTS exam after April 2015 therefore you have to sit in Ho approved exam centre and must take approved English language test to meet new language requirement.
*The gravity*

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:29 am

You actually have a valid point I won't argue, my question is more related towards asking an extension for the deadline.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:04 am

noajthan wrote:Bizarre.

Rules changed in November.
:!: You applied before then (according to stated facts) & previous rules should be used.

Before November if you had an ESOL cert that was listed on Ofqual website (& at CEFR B1 or above) you could use it for naturalisation..

Do you have a copy of your form to see exactly what you completed :?:

:!: You have grounds for reconsiderstion although you may have filled in the form slightly wrongly & ticked a SELT-related box or 2 in error.

The caseworker (in 'grinch' mode) has clearly not seen your mistake or seeing some reference to SELT has instantly failed you.
Bah! Humbug, this is incorrect as you applied before the recent rule change & full cutover to SELT.

For an EOL cert listed on Ofqual website, the appropriate questions to complete on the previous AN form (that you probably used) were, from memory:
tick the Ofqual option mentioned in Q1.23
skip other test-related questions;
move on to Q1.27.

Did you use NCS :?:
:arrow: They could/should have picked up this error before submitting your form too.

Next steps:
1) Check if your qualification is listed on Ofqual website.
2) If it is listed, apply for reconsideration.
3) Suggest you should still do the SELT test you have booked (as a safety net) but you appear to have good grounds for reconsideration too.

Best of luck.
Last edited by noajthan on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:05 am

ibraa wrote:You actually have a valid point I won't argue, my question is more related towards asking an extension for the deadline.
I believe you do have a valid case to argue & would be justified in applying for reconsideration as explained in my above post or 2.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:07 am

noajthan wrote:
ibraa wrote:You actually have a valid point I won't argue, my question is more related towards asking an extension for the deadline.
I believe you do have a valid case to argue & would be justified in applying for reconsideration as explained in my above post or 2.
Just found this:

http://mailer.sqa.org.uk/english-langua ... 6800da26da
For applications for settlement and nationality made before November, we will continue to accept qualifications which are included in the OFQUAL Register of ESOL Qualifications or those regulated by SQA.
Interesting, as I've made my application on 13 October and got the acknowledgment receipt by the 24th.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:10 am

ibraa wrote:
noajthan wrote:
Just found this:

http://mailer.sqa.org.uk/english-langua ... 6800da26da
For applications for settlement and nationality made before November, we will continue to accept qualifications which are included in the OFQUAL Register of ESOL Qualifications or those regulated by SQA.
Interesting, as I've made my application on 13 October and got the acknowledgment receipt by the 24th.
Agree.

Can you make sense of the rather lengthy explanation I have just posted (above).
You may be reading on a phone or tablet with small screen (?), suggest scroll to start of post & read downwards again..

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:17 am

Yes you can use this test till 12th Nov 2015 only if u have met the language requirement after October 2013 and before April 2015 in your settlement . Does it make sense plz read full guidence.
I disagree with noathen.
*The gravity*

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:21 am

noajthan wrote:Agree.

Can you make sense of the rather lengthy explanation I have just posted (above).
You may be reading on a phone or tablet with small screen (?), suggest scroll to start of post & read downwards again..
First of all, many thanks for the post!

However, I'm still struggling to find anything supporting this on the official gov.uk website...

The thing what worries me most, is that the only information I can find says that anyone taking a test on or after 6th April 2015 (I took mine AFTER 6 April)that they intend to use in a UK immigration application must take one at one of the approved test centres.

IELTS exams are on the list, but my test centre is not..
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ebsite.pdf

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:24 am

Plz read AN guidence that will clear all to you.
*The gravity*

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:27 am

fbutt50 wrote:Plz read AN guidence that will clear all to you.
As I've applied using the May 2015 version of the form, it would be only useful if I could read that old version, but I can't find it anywhere.. So if anyone has the old versions of the form (05/2015), please come forward:)

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:33 am

Listen if u did not meet the language requirement in your settlement then u have to do test now. That is the bottom line. However you can go around circles if u want to.
*The gravity*

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:43 am

ibraa wrote:First of all, many thanks for the post!

However, I'm still struggling to find anything supporting this on the official gov.uk website...

The thing what worries me most, is that the only information I can find says that anyone taking a test on or after 6th April 2015 (I took mine AFTER 6 April)that they intend to use in a UK immigration application must take one at one of the approved test centres.

IELTS exams are on the list, but my test centre is not..
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ebsite.pdf
That is the SELT-specific list.
Ofcourse the Gov UK information about previous rules (& use of qualifications listed on Ofqual website) will have been removed now.

This member's previous case covers a similar situation to yours ie for a person applying before November 2015:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1257969

The main thing to establish is if your certificate is listed on that Ofqual website.

If it is then it could have been used before November as I have explained.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:14 pm

noajthan wrote:That is the SELT-specific list.
Ofcourse the Gov UK information about previous rules (& use of qualifications listed on Ofqual website) will have been removed now.

This member's previous case covers a similar situation to yours ie for a person applying before November 2015:

The main thing to establish is if your certificate is listed on that Ofqual website.

The certificate is on the Ofqual website: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualifica ... 500_2771_2

Junoonistan1
Newly Registered

Post by Junoonistan1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:31 pm

For all those who are responding to this query seem to forget that at question 1.22 of the application form under the knowledge of language and life in UK section, there is a question if you have met requirement for settlement after 23rd October 2013. I strongly believe that if someone fulfilled the requirement for settlement after October 2013 must tick that question and does not need to provide the evidence again. Moreover the person initiated this query may sit the test on 2nd January and send the Pass electronic reference number of the test on the same day to the home office when should get there the next day on 3rd of January playing in the cover letter that the certificate will be sent in due course.

Junoonistan1
Newly Registered

Post by Junoonistan1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Correction "explaining in the covering letter"

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:39 pm

ibraa wrote:
noajthan wrote:That is the SELT-specific list.

The certificate is on the Ofqual website: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualifica ... 500_2771_2
This helps you.

Certificate is also shown as being at 'Level 3';
note that is not the same as the minimum requirement for citizenship of 'Entry 3'
(ie it exceeds the requirement).

I believe this should have been accepted (especially if you had answered Q1.23 on the form appropriately).

I would argue that HO has no grounds to refuse this certificate if it was part of an application submitted before November 2015.

Suggest make urgent representations to HO & include the printout from Ofqual website.

If all else fails make a noise, file official complaint, bring in your MP etc.
Good luck.