ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Visitor Visa Long Term > 6months for parents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

visaforv10

Family Visitor Visa Long Term > 6months for parents

Post by visaforv10 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi,
I have a question. If I apply for 10 year long term visitor visa and they grant only 6 months visa, what will happen to the fees? Do they refund the amount?

Many thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Family Visitor Visa Long Term > 6months for parents

Post by Wanderer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:20 pm

visaforv10 wrote:Hi,
I have a question. If I apply for 10 year long term visitor visa and they grant only 6 months visa, what will happen to the fees? Do they refund the amount?

Many thanks.
Nope!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Many thanks.
Unlikely, this is Home Office you are dealing with & not UK tourist board.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

visaforv10

Post by visaforv10 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:12 pm

I very well know I am dealing with the home office and not UK tourist board so save your sarcasm.

Thanks for the reply BTW.
noajthan wrote:

Many thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Think whats more likely us they'll just deny the visa and not grant a 6 months one and ask you to reapply for a 6 month one.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Many thanks.
Do your parents have a proven track record of short visits to the UK? How many visit visas have they had previously to the UK and how long did they stay each time?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:35 pm

visaforv10 wrote:I very well know I am dealing with the home office and not UK tourist board so save your sarcasm.

Thanks for the reply BTW.
noajthan wrote:

Many thanks.
In that case you may well be aware of how the land lies, how the rules are applied & the typical modus operandi of Home Office in these matters;
ie dispassionately, with minimal discretion (even if any room for discretion), with no common sense & not even an inch given away.

Certainly that is my experience from over 9 years of dealings with UKBA/UKVI/Home Office including two major battles with them.
Hence my caution for you.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

honey2008
United Kingdom

Post by honey2008 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:42 pm

Home office will approve 10 year visa if you can convince them reasons of frequest SHORT visits to UK along with deep ties with home country.

Also applicant has to prove that they will not make UK as their primary residence(long Stay) during such VISAS.

Ta
Honey

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:05 pm

honey2008 wrote:Home office will approve 10 year visa if you can convince them reasons of frequest SHORT visits to UK along with deep ties with home country.

Also applicant has to prove that they will not make UK as their primary residence(long Stay) during such VISAS.

Ta
Honey
+1

I'd suggest two weeks twice a year plus the odd similar for special occasions, we see so many here 'visiting' for 3/4/5/6 months at once - that's not 'visiting'....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:06 am

"4.2 (a) (c) (e) of Appendix V, Immigration Rules of Visitors" states:
The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
(a) will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and
(b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home; and
(c) is genuinely seeking entry for a purpose that is permitted by the visitor routes (these are listed in Appendices 3, 4 and 5); and
(d) will not undertake any prohibited activities set out in V 4.5 – V 4.10; and
(e) must have sufficient funds to cover all reasonable costs in relation to their visit without working or accessing public funds. This includes the cost of the return or onward journey, any costs relating to dependants, and the cost of planned activities such as private medical treatment.
Subsection (b) above is one of the most common reasons for refusal. A six month visa allows you to stay in the UK legally. But if you were to repeatedly stay in the UK for all of the six months, it would look suspiciously like "staying" and not like "visiting".

So, the previous travel history of the applicant will be looked at closely.

Wanderer's advice is spot on. Two weeks to a month, once or twice a year, is a visit. Staying in the UK every summer for six months is residing and not visiting.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.