ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Singh route to Germany + naturalisation

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Bloody-Fox

Singh route to Germany + naturalisation

Post by Bloody-Fox » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:00 am

Hi,

I am German and currently living and excercising treaty rights in Ireland (together with my Brazilian wife).

In case we would want to move to Germany, how would we go about applying under Surinder Singh? As far as I know that way we could live under EU law and wouldn't need a German language test..

Also I found contradicting information regarding naturalisation in this case. Can anyone please confirm, if the following is still correct:

"The married spouse of a German can be naturalized under facilitated requirements: he or she has to have lived in Germany for three years lawfully and the marriage must have lasted at least two years here in Germany and still has to be continuing."

Thanks in advance

Fox

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Singh route to Germany + naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Surinder Singh is applicable to British Citizens living and working in the EU and returning to the UK with their family/extended family.

Surinder Singh (Click)

You would need to follow the relevant rules for Germany to return with your spouse.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bloody-Fox

Post by Bloody-Fox » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Oh I thought that Surinder Singh would be applicable in the whole EU now.. thanks

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:33 pm

Bloody-Fox wrote:Oh I thought that Surinder Singh would be applicable in the whole EU now.. thanks
It is applicable to all EU countries.

As to your original question: I don't know.

Logic would suggest that you can't just pick and choose whether you want your wife to be seen as spouse of a German national or an EEA national. I can only guess that her residence card of a family member of an EEA national would raise at least questions when she applies for naturalisation after three years.

What you might be able to pull off, though, is to get an indefinite residence permit when her residence card expires and then, when her stay is no longer dependent on her being married to you, apply for naturalisation. Just a guess.

Your best bet would be to contact the Einbürgerungsbehörde in the community where you would be living and ask the question. While the laws are the same, interpretation can differ from Bundesland to Bundesland. In Bavaria for instance, you'd have trouble applying while receiving any sort of public funds, while in Berlin it is quite usual to top up a lower income with ALG II and still be accepted.

You could get the Schengen visa and then decide which route you want to go.

The German domestic rules would make her eligible for an integration course, which is a highly subsidised, h i g h quality language and culture course which would exempt her from the naturalisation language test. As the spouse of an EEA national, she would neither be required to take part, nor would she be eligible to.

As she has to learn German to a fairly high standard for naturalisation anyhow, why not go the usual way (German spouse visa laws are hardly terrible) and cut out at least two, if not five years of waiting before she can apply for naturalisation?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Bloody-Fox

Post by Bloody-Fox » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks ALKB,

We decided in the end that it is the best solution to stay in Ireland and wait for naturalisation here, which is probably less complicated and faster.

Thanks for the answer, though. Much appreciated.