ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS Academic Not Accepted - 3 working days to respond??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

noajthan

Re: IELTS Academic Not Accepted - 3 working days to respond?

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Junoonistan1 wrote:For all those who are responding to this query seem to forget that at question 1.22 of the application form under the knowledge of language and life in UK section, there is a question if you have met requirement for settlement after 23rd October 2013. I strongly believe that if someone fulfilled the requirement for settlement after October 2013 must tick that question and does not need to provide the evidence again. Moreover the person initiated this query may sit the test on 2nd January and send the Pass electronic reference number of the test on the same day to the home office when should get there the next day on 3rd of January playing in the cover letter that the certificate will be sent in due course.
This OP has apparently travelled by EU route (with PR) so is unlikely to have previously applied for ILR under UK settlement route.

However he definitely has a valid ESOL cert & so can answer Q1.23 (on pre-November version of form AN) & recover his position that way.
Last edited by noajthan on Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:45 pm

noajthan wrote: This OP has apparently travelled by EU route (with PR) so is unlikely to have previously applied for ILR under UK settlement route.

However he definitely has a valid ESOL cert & so can answer Q1.23 & recover his position that way.
Just wish I could get a copy of the May 2015 version of the form to confirm which box I ticked.. :|

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:05 pm

ibraa wrote:
noajthan wrote: This OP has apparently travelled by EU route (with PR) so is unlikely to have previously applied for ILR under UK settlement route.

However he definitely has a valid ESOL cert & so can answer Q1.23 & recover his position that way.
Just wish I could get a copy of the May 2015 version of the form to confirm which box I ticked.. :|
I have them all (pre-November: form, guide & booklet) but as they are in PDF format I cannot attach to a post.
If you PM me with an email address I can get them to you by mail.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:32 pm

noajthan wrote:I have them all (pre-November: form, guide & booklet) but as they are in PDF format I cannot attach to a post.
If you PM me with an email address I can get them to you by mail.
Just PMd you, thanks :mrgreen:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:36 pm

ibraa wrote:As I've applied using the May 2015 version of the form, it would be only useful if I could read that old version, but I can't find it anywhere.. So if anyone has the old versions of the form (05/2015), please come forward:)
See here.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:45 pm

ibraa wrote:Hi there!

I've applied on 13 October 2015. I am an EEA national, was issued a Document Certifying Permanent Residency last year and after 14 months I applied for naturalisation..

I've sat my IELTS in September 2015 in Bristol (appearantly not on the 'nice' list)..
Missed the important bit.

Agree with fbutt50.

Since this is the first time you have had to satisfy English language requirement - to apply for naturalisation (you are in UK under the EEA treaty rights and were never required to prove English language for EEA-route applications) - and that you took the exam after 06-Apr-15, you were required to take the SELT exam.

Read 1.24 of the (May 2015) AN form.

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:00 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Agree with fbutt50.

Since this is the first time you have had to satisfy English language requirement - to apply for naturalisation (you are in UK under the EEA treaty rights and were never required to prove English language for EEA-route applications) - and that you took the exam after 06-Apr-15, you were required to take the SELT exam.

Read 1.24 of the (May 2015) AN form.
Now that I have read the guidance for the form PRIOR NOVEMBER 2015 - as that's when I've applied, I must disagree with both of you. The guidance booket lists 4 types of qualifications accepted PRIOR NOVEMBER.

Extract from the Guidance Booket (version June 2015)
We will accept the following qualifications:
Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/
• A test taken before 6 April 2014 which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above and was on the Home Office’s list of recognised English tests and qualifications
• A test taken on or after 6 April 2015 which is on the Home Office’s new list of recognised English tests and qualifications This must be taken at a Home Office approved test centre.

My IELTS qualification without any doubt falls into the first category, as it's listed on the Ofqual register.

Link to the guidance booklet (June 2015 version): http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... n_2015.pdf
Link to the AN1 Form (May 2015 version):
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... N_v_05.pdf

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Going by the premise that IELTS is an ESOL qualification:
If IELTS is an ESOL qualification then how come IELTS figures in the current "approved tests list"? Because since 12-Nov-2015 ESOL qualifications can no longer be used to satisfy English language requirement in either settlement or citizenship applications.
3. Approved English language qualifications wrote:You can no longer use ESOL qualifications as proof for citizenship or settlement applications.
So, just in case you are intending to take an SELT exam, make sure you take the Trinity one ... not IELTS ... because IELTS is an ESOL qualification, as per assertions in the topic.

Or is it that IELTS taken at an "approved test centre" is not an ESOL qualification but the same IELTS test taken at a "un-approved centre" is deemed as an ESOL qualification?

ESOL qualifications are listed in the OFQUAL register but are all qualifications listed in OFQUAL register ESOL qualifications?
ibraa wrote:The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications
Is IELTS listed as ESOL? Do check.

Why has HO made it so complicated?

:?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:28 pm

ibraa wrote:
The certificate is on the Ofqual website: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualifica ... 500_2771_2
Clearly categorised as ESOL qualification in the listing -so all good.

Suggest print page out & submit to HO tout suite.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:42 pm

If someone is using the SELT route list to satisy the language requirement, there are some key points to note.

The rules changed on 6 April 2015 and not in November 2015. The old SELT list became known as the transitional list and tests would still be accepted until November 2015 ONLY if they were take prior to 6 April 2015 (as it would be unfair to those who just sat the test and were to apply in the coming months).

You only needed an approved test from the old SELT list (transitional list). It could have been taken at any test centre. The new SELT list introduced another restriction that the test be taken from an approved centre. So not only did you need to take an approved test but it has to be from an approved test centre.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:07 pm

WR1 wrote:If someone is using the SELT route list to satisy the language requirement, there are some key points to note.

The rules changed on 6 April 2015 and not in November 2015. The old SELT list became known as the transitional list and tests would still be accepted until November 2015 ONLY if they were take prior to 6 April 2015 (as it would be unfair to those who just sat the test and were to apply in the coming months).

You only needed an approved test from the old SELT list (transitional list). It could have been taken at any test centre. The new SELT list introduced another restriction that the test be taken from an approved centre. So not only did you need to take an approved test but it has to be from an approved test centre.
Absolutely right.

However, for Naturalisation applications OFQUAL Accredited Language Qualifications at Entry Level 3 or Above WERE accepted, even if taken after 6 April 2015.

On Q1.23 of the AN Form (May 2015 Version) you had to select the option, which said A test that is on the Ofqual register or awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority, then as per the instructions, straightaway skip to Q1.27 (Details of Parents).
This is also confirmed in the guidance booklet, June 2015 version. The new version of the AN form & Guidance were released on 28 October 2015, where the part about the OFQUAL Exams has been removed.

Therefore those, who've applied prior the release of the new AN Form and sat an OFQUAL-ESOL exam above Entry Level 3, must certainly satisfy the language requirements for Naturalisation.

I made a mistake on the form by ticking the wrong box on Q1.23, but the assessor should have easily picked it up, provided that I've sent my suitable English Exam Certificate..

On the side note, I really do not understand why the Bristol IELTS Test Centre couldn't get on the new SELT Centre List, as they took fingerprints, photos and checked our ID's upon arrival and at the end..

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:23 pm

ibraa wrote:Absolutely right.

However, for Naturalisation applications OFQUAL Accredited Language Qualifications at Entry Level 3 or Above WERE accepted, even if taken after 6 April 2015.

On Q1.23 of the AN Form (May 2015 Version) you had to select the option, which said A test that is on the Ofqual register or awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority, then as per the instructions, straightaway skip to Q1.27 (Details of Parents).
This is also confirmed in the guidance booklet, June 2015 version. The new version of the AN form & Guidance were released on 28 October 2015, where the part about the OFQUAL Exams has been removed.

Therefore those, who've applied prior the release of the new AN Form and sat an OFQUAL-ESOL exam above Entry Level 3, must certainly satisfy the language requirements for Naturalisation.

I made a mistake on the form by ticking the wrong box on Q1.23, but the assessor should have easily picked it up, provided that I've sent my suitable English Exam Certificate..

On the side note, I really do not understand why the Bristol IELTS Test Centre couldn't get on the new SELT Centre List, as they took fingerprints, photos and checked our ID's upon arrival and at the end..
3 learnings from this:
1) Keep copies of all forms (& supporting documents, if applying directly) submitted in an application - for your own reference & to help contest such travesties.

2) If unsure of an answer don't guess.

3) Use NCS when applying - for at least a basic level of sanity-checking of the application.

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:55 am

I completely agree with WR1. Transitional list
http://www.isc.co.uk/media/2424/selt_transitional.pdf
*The gravity*

ibraa

Post by ibraa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:54 am

fbutt50 wrote:I completely agree with WR1. Transitional list
I finally received a response from UKVI.

This confirms, that Ofqual-ESOL Certificates above entry Level 3 CAN BE USED TO SATISFY THE LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT UNTIL NOVEMBER, regardless of the date taken.

Please find the letter attached below:

http://i.imgur.com/xpO4VIt.jpg

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:03 am

ibraa wrote:
fbutt50 wrote:I completely agree with WR1. Transitional list
I finally received a response from UKVI.

This confirms, that Ofqual-ESOL Certificates above entry Level 3 CAN BE USED TO SATISFY THE LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT UNTIL NOVEMBER, regardless of the date taken.

Please find the letter attached below:

http://i.imgur.com/xpO4VIt.jpg
Shame the caseworkers don't keep up with their own rules & guidance.

Sending copy of Ofqual printout ( in case they can't use WWW) should seal the deal.