ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

saanju9
Member of Standing

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by saanju9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:15 pm

Sorry but this guy got caught at work... Not as a part of check done while naturalisation application...

On a lighter note... what makes you think I am ma'am

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:18 pm

saanju9 wrote:Sorry but this guy got caught at work... Not as a part of check done while naturalisation application...

Noajthan was referring to me as ma'am!

If you were in breach of your visa conditions, it fails the good character requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
saanju9 wrote:Sorry but this guy got caught at work... Not as a part of check done while naturalisation application...

Noajthan was referring to me as ma'am!

If you were in breach of your visa conditions, it fails the good character requirement.
Lol...sorry

yup, sure I am not disagreeing with what you are saying CR001.. it is a breach..

What I am trying to get is that there is no possible way that they can check what hours a person have worked 5 to 6 years ago in a particular week
There will be no records of that detail....
If the applicant has been caught in a different scenario .. like in the above two cases .. yes then they are already flagged up on the database ... but without that there is no way
I mean... had they have that kind of in-depth information about how many hours a particular student has worked in this week in a particular store or restaurant... they would catch them straight away and throw them out..(if there is a breach)

those applicants cannot come all this way to apply for citizenship... the first time someone breaches the rules their extensions or conversions (to different visas) would have been rejected long time ago

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:41 pm

CR001 is the lady here.

The whole drift of this conversation is somewhat disturbing.

Citizenship is not a game to be won if an applicant is not caught out.
Citizens are expected to be law-abiding individuals.
Applications are expected to be truthful and complete, supported by genuine documentation.

It is obvious even from the little we know of the Kafkaesque machinations of the Home Office that multiple crosschecks & verifications are made, using a variety of systems & datasources.

No matter how bumbling and inefficient and poorly-trained some public servants may be it's clear that, in the current climate, the odds are stacked against those categorised (by HO) as illegals and/or dodgers.

For example, no student (presumably highly-educated & intelligent) can claim they are unaware of restrictions on their right to work.
And surely most people learn the concepts of actions & consequences by the time they are 5 years old.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Sure ... I agree with all this

My point is... when CR001 said "HO will Surely check you were not in breach of your student visa working more than 20 hours."
... I said " do you have any evidence that they will check on every application??"... that is all

If you guys have any evidence or if you come across anything in the future.. please post that to us ..

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:12 pm

HO have access to all the systems and information held with other government departments. As we do not work for HO, we cannot provide 'evidence' of what HO checks and how in depth they go.

The point is, HO knows more about applicants than the applicants think. And yes, for citizenship, they check every applicant thoroughly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nadirnwo
Newly Registered

Post by nadirnwo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi,

I have a quick question on 2.1 "Date and place of first arrival in the United Kingdom", if my Tier 1 visa was issued in the UK do I write down the issue date here? If so then what do I write in place of first arrival in the UK if I was already in the UK? Or do I go back to when I came to the UK in the first instance?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:19 pm

nadirnwo wrote:Hi,

I have a quick question on 2.1 "Date and place of first arrival in the United Kingdom", if my Tier 1 visa was issued in the UK do I write down the issue date here? If so then what do I write in place of first arrival in the UK if I was already in the UK? Or do I go back to when I came to the UK in the first instance?
You write the date that you FIRST came to the UK. The question is very clear and the key words are 'first arrival'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nadirnwo
Newly Registered

Post by nadirnwo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:30 pm

The guidance however says when you first arrived with the intention of staying long term.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:46 pm

You should write the first date if you have had continuous residence since then.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nadirnwo
Newly Registered

Post by nadirnwo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:12 pm

[quote="CR001"]You should write the first date if you have had continuous residence since then.[/quote]

Great! thank you!

Sas Sam

Post by Sas Sam » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi All,

I've filled in the form already, but I'm not sure about a question. That's the "1.6 Other names" and the "1.7 Name at birth" is related to 1.6.

In my first name (Gábor) there is a special letter, but I don't want to use it in my official UK documents as it could cause difficulties to write it down in many cases, so because of this I want to replace it with standard English "a" letter. So I've written my name at section 1.6 as Gabor.

The questions:
  • I have to write my official name (with the special letter) as it is in my passport at section 1.7, right?
  • How should I explain it in page 22?
Thanks for any help and advice in advance!
EEA(PR) application sent: 07/10/2015 (received 08/10/2015)
Card charged: 09/10/2015
Email from HO: 19/10/2015
PR Card received: 25/11/2015
----
My Naturalisation timeline is here.
My Passport timeline is here.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:32 pm

Sas Sam wrote:Hi All,

I've filled in the form already, but I'm not sure about a question. That's the "1.6 Other names" and the "1.7 Name at birth" is related to 1.6.

In my first name (Gábor) there is a special letter, but I don't want to use it in my official UK documents as it could cause difficulties to write it down in many cases, so because of this I want to replace it with standard English "a" letter. So I've written my name at section 1.6 as Gabor.

The questions:
  • I have to write my official name (with the special letter) as it is in my passport at section 1.7, right?
  • How should I explain it in page 22?
Thanks for any help and advice in advance!
HO don't issue documents with special characters, it will be printed as Gabor.

1.5 Is your surname or last name

1.6 is your first, second or first and middle names

1.7 is if your name was different at birth, i.e. if you are a woman and changed your name after getting married this would be the maiden name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Joythornz
Newly Registered

Post by Joythornz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Hi. Got a couple of queries regarding filling AN form for my daughter's BC application.

I have recently been naturalised as a British citizen. Unfortunately due to financial restraints, my daughter and I cannot apply at the same time so I applied first and succeeded. I've applied as a spouse of a BC. My daughter will be applying for the 5 year one.

1. Question 1.30 - Mother's nationality
What shall my daughter put in her application for this specific question? British or my previous nationality by birth?

2. What is your occupation?
My daughter is in full-time education at a university here. Shall we leave this blank and explain on the "Further info not covered in other sections" page that she is a student? Please advise if there are other ways to answer this.

Your assistance is much appreciated. :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Joythornz wrote:Hi. Got a couple of queries regarding filling AN form for my daughter's BC application.

I have recently been naturalised as a British citizen. Unfortunately due to financial restraints, my daughter and I cannot apply at the same time so I applied first and succeeded. I've applied as a spouse of a BC. My daughter will be applying for the 5 year one.

1. Question 1.30 - Mother's nationality
What shall my daughter put in her application for this specific question? British or my previous nationality by birth British or both

2. What is your occupation?
My daughter is in full-time education at a university here. Shall we leave this blank and explain on the "Further info not covered in other sections" page that she is a student? Please advise if there are other ways to answer this. She can write 'full time student'. Employment is not a requirement. If she works part time, she needs to list that and the details.

Your assistance is much appreciated. :)
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Joythornz
Newly Registered

Post by Joythornz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Thank you CR001. :)

Sas Sam

Post by Sas Sam » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:01 am

CR001 wrote:HO don't issue documents with special characters, it will be printed as Gabor.

1.7 is if your name was different at birth, i.e. if you are a woman and changed your name after getting married this would be the maiden name.
Thanks for your answer! Hmm.. interesting. One of my friend has special characters in his name too and the NCS advised to him to write the name in the 1.5 and in 1.6 with standard characters as he wanted, but give some explanations in page 22 about why he doesn't want to use the official name. But unfortunately he is in abroad now and I cannot ask him about his case.
----

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:32 am

Sas Sam wrote:
CR001 wrote:HO don't issue documents with special characters, it will be printed as Gabor.

Thanks for your answer! Hmm.. interesting. One of my friend has special characters in his name too and the NCS advised to him to write the name in the 1.5 and in 1.6 with standard characters as he wanted, but give some explanations in page 22 about why he doesn't want to use the official name. But unfortunately he is in abroad now and I cannot ask him about his case.
So why don't you ask NCS then and they can check directly with HO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Sas Sam

Post by Sas Sam » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:46 am

CR001 wrote:So why don't you ask NCS then and they can check directly with HO.
I'll do it tomorrow and let you know about their answer. Thanks again for your help.
----

leavetoremain

Post by leavetoremain » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Hello Friends,

Me and my wife are going to apply for BC in February 2016.

Wondering if print out from the PBS calculator page would suffice to prove my English level is B1 or higher.

Please note that I entered UK on Tier-2 ICT and switched to Tier-2 General followed by ILR last year. I have been taught in English in my school and Uni. I am confused as the PBS calculator only shows the points but doesn't state level of English.

My wife has the certificate from UK NARIC.

Would appreciate if someone can clarify.

siavash2016
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation January 201

Post by siavash2016 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am filling in the nationality application and have encountered a question in Section 7/Biometrics which is a bit confusing.

After confirming that I have been issued with a BRP with a previous leave to remain application (ILR), it is asking you to inform the Home Office on the date when your fingerprints were taken plus the City and Country where this was done.

I am not sure whether I need to provide the information regarding the first time I gave my fingerprints when I first entered the UK and provided them at the Home Office in Croydon about 6 years ago or whether they are asking me about the date when I applied for BRP and had to give my fingerprints at the Post Office as part of my application for the (ILR) about a year ago.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed light on my question above.

Regards

Siavash

Sas Sam

Post by Sas Sam » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Sas Sam wrote:
CR001 wrote:So why don't you ask NCS then and they can check directly with HO.
I'll do it tomorrow and let you know about their answer. Thanks again for your help.
Yes, you were right, the caseworker said I don't need to write anything, but if I want to 100% sure, just write some explanation in 2 sentences on page 22.
----

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation January 201

Post by ohara » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:30 pm

siavash2016 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I am filling in the nationality application and have encountered a question in Section 7/Biometrics which is a bit confusing.

After confirming that I have been issued with a BRP with a previous leave to remain application (ILR), it is asking you to inform the Home Office on the date when your fingerprints were taken plus the City and Country where this was done.

I am not sure whether I need to provide the information regarding the first time I gave my fingerprints when I first entered the UK and provided them at the Home Office in Croydon about 6 years ago or whether they are asking me about the date when I applied for BRP and had to give my fingerprints at the Post Office as part of my application for the (ILR) about a year ago.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed light on my question above.

Regards

Siavash
Give them the date of the most recent one.

jilpangs

Post by jilpangs » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi,

"Section 1.1 Please give ... Home office reference no. "

What is HO Ref no? and where can i find it?

Thanks
Jil

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:43 pm

jilpangs wrote:Hi,

"Section 1.1 Please give ... Home office reference no. "

What is HO Ref no? and where can i find it?

Thanks
Jil
BRP card or if you don't have one, leave it blank. Please keep your questions in your existing topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)