ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is my wife and children eligible for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Is my wife and children eligible for Naturalisation

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:06 am

Hi,
I am applying for naturalisation this month. I am eligible but not sure if my wife and 2 kids are eligible. They were born abroad. They were in UK until Nov 2009 (except my daughter who is born in March 2011) and came back in March 2012 as Tier 1 dependent. And in Nov 2013 we all got ILR. They have independent ILR, I believe.
Are they eligible for Naturalisation with me based on 3 years co-habitation rule? Since they were not in UK 5 years ago, will that stop them from applying?

Any other suggestion while applying?

Please help.

vinny

Re: Is my wife and children eligible for Naturalisation

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:53 am

Children, yes.
Wife, after you are British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:59 am

vinny wrote:Children, yes.
Hi Vinny,
Thanks for your reply. But can my wife apply with me. And they can process both applications together. If mine is successful then they can consider her.

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:26 am

tier1_to_ilr wrote:
Hi Vinny,
Thanks for your reply. But can my wife apply with me. And they can process both applications together. If mine is successful then they can consider her.
No, your wife cannot apply with you because she does not currently fulfill the requirements. Once your application has been approved, she can then apply as a wife of a British citizen.

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 am

ScopeD wrote:
tier1_to_ilr wrote:
Hi Vinny,
No, your wife cannot apply with you because she does not currently fulfill the requirements. Once your application has been approved, she can then apply as a wife of a British citizen.
Thanks a lot. That is quite helpful information.

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Can I ask one more question. If my wife is not yet eligible for naturalisation, how come my children who are born abroad and came with her in 2012 can apply registration. I tried to read https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2015.pdf But too complex.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:10 pm

tier1_to_ilr wrote:Can I ask one more question. If my wife is not yet eligible for naturalisation, how come my children who are born abroad and came with her in 2012 can apply registration. I tried to read https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2015.pdf But too complex.
Wife needs to be BC or have ILR & naturalising.
Then you can apply to register minors with her, in a joint 'family' application;
or else naturalise wife first then register minors in a follow up application.

Minors born abroad, as in your case, register at Home Secretary's discretion under Section 3(1) of BNA; use form MN1.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 am

Hi,
Can someone with similar experience as mine, tell what was result of registration application for children.
Just to summarise - only father eligible for naturalisation, kids born abroad and living in UK with ILR for last more than 2 years and 4 years with tier1+ILR.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:36 am

tier1_to_ilr wrote:Hi,
Can someone with similar experience as mine, tell what was result of registration application for children.
Just to summarise - only father eligible for naturalisation, kids born abroad and living in UK with ILR for last more than 2 years and 4 years with tier1+ILR.
I just advised you: wait for wife to have ILR & to be applying to naturalise.
(It doesn't matter by what route ILR is obtained).

That gives minors (born abroad before parents were settled in UK) the best chance of registration because their registration is at Home Secretary's discretion.

Discretion means discretion! Apart from death, taxes (& annual Home Office fee increases) there are no guarantees or certainties in life.

It is same type of case for my family; I aligned with the guidance, understood & ensured full compliance with the rules - & citizenship was granted by the Home Secretary's discretion.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi,
I received my approval letter today. Can I apply for my wife and kids now? I am yet to do the ceremony.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:28 pm

No, you are not British until you have taken the ceremony :)

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks for replies. I am going for a private ceremony tomorrow to speed things up. My wife and children are fillling the form. Under section 3 of MN1 for children which subsection is applicable for children abroad to parents born abroad but recently acquired citizenship by naturalisation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:55 pm

tier1_to_ilr wrote:Thanks for replies. I am going for a private ceremony tomorrow to speed things up. My wife and children are fillling the form. Under section 3 of MN1 for children which subsection is applicable for children abroad to parents born abroad but recently acquired citizenship by naturalisation.
Section 3 is not relevant to your circumstances. It does not say what you have said it says.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier1_to_ilr
Newly Registered

Post by tier1_to_ilr » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:05 pm

CR001 wrote:
tier1_to_ilr wrote:Thanks for replies. I am going for a private ceremony tomorrow to speed things up. My wife and children are fillling the form. Under section 3 of MN1 for children which subsection is applicable for children abroad to parents born abroad but recently acquired citizenship by naturalisation.
Section 3 is not relevant to your circumstances. It does not say what you have said it says.
Thanks CR001. Another small query - what should I be writing answer for below question?

Section 1 - Personal Information
1.1 Please indicate the section of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which you would like the application considered. See Chapter 2 of the guide for details.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:41 pm

If your children were born abroad, then it is a Section 3(1) application (they need ILR for this).

If your children were born in the UK then it is a Section 1(3) application (they do not need ILR for this).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.