ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for citizenship from outside the country

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

saf481
Newly Registered
India

Applying for citizenship from outside the country

Post by saf481 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:23 pm

I am on 'tier 1 general' and my wife is on 'tier 1 dependent' visas. We had a baby in UK 3 months back. They are planning to go to India for a few months. I am due to apply for ILR in 2 months.

If I get an ILR and my daughter goes out of UK without taking a dependent visa will she be able to apply for a citizenship from outside the country directly ? or will she have to apply for a dependent visa first and come into the country and only then can apply for citizenship?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for citizenship from outside the country

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:27 pm

MN1 has to be applied for in the UK. Child has to submit biometrics for citizenship.

Once approved, you can apply for a passport but it can take 6-12 months just for the passport application from India.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saf481
Newly Registered
India

Post by saf481 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:03 pm

I was reading the FAQ section and I found the following passage. This says application can be made from anywhere. Is that obsolete now?

As far as the biometrics are concerned, HO is collecting biometrics for even tourists. They do it in the the VFS centers. My parents did that only 3 months back.

UK born

In the child was born in the UK before one parent had ILR/PR, then once one parent is granted ILR, the child is entitled register as BC under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act irrespective of their immigration status.

This application is an entitlement and as such the HO has no discretion in the decision if the statutory requirements are met. The application can be made any time before the child is 18. The only documents required are UK birth certificate and evidence that parent obtained ILR/PR. The application can be made if the child is in the UK or abroad.

If the child was born in the UK after one parent has ILR/PR, then the child is British from birth and can apply directly for a passport.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 pm

The application has to be made in the UK. All citizenship applications and passports are processed in the UK.

You cannot apply for MN1 at VFS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.