ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Citizenship based on ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Applying for British Citizenship based on ILR

Post by arsenal49 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi all,

I have an ILR for 10 months now and now starting to think about applying for british citizenship (uk passport).

i understand i can only apply for it after 12 months have elapsed while on ILR.

i was wondering if one of you guys who have been currrently going through the process can summarise the process for me with a rough guidance on the timeline for each stage of the application.

I am also interested in finding out about common pitfalls or things which are a time-hog as well as out of my hand (e.g. referees etc.) when going through the application stages.

Your help will be greatly appreciated
Application sent (AN Form): Fri 04/03/2016 via POST
app fee taken: Mon 14/03/2016
Ack received: 17/03/2016
Biometric received: 17/03/2016
Biometric recorded: 19/03/2016
Approval date: 25/04/2016
Spreadsheet

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for British Citizenship based on ILR

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Please search the forum, there are many posts and timeline threads. Have you read the AN form, guidance and booklet?

If your tax affairs are in order and you have been legal throughout your stay and never been illegal or overstayer, you should be ok.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:12 am

i am looking for a summary of the process as the information out there is a bit over-whelming and causing me to lose sight of the bigger picture.

For example, the AN form, page 30 ...
SECTION 3 Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married or in
civil partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application: required for
applications made on the basis of residence in the United Kingdom: required for all applicants

Your passports Or

Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments
indicating presence in UK
i'm stumped... evidence of lawful residence by my current passport?! how's that going to prove that i have been legal. do they mean my ILR card? or sm i missing something here.

similarly,
SECTION 5 Evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions:required for all applicants
except those covered by SECTION 4 above.
• Your passport showing permission to remain permanently in the UK Or
• The Home Office letter by which you were given permission to remain permanently in the UK
• If you came to the UK as an asylum seeker you should have evidence of appeal applications
Or
• Evidence of being freely landed
is my ILR card not enough? what if i dont have HO letter anymore?

thanks
Spreadsheet

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 am

arsenal49 wrote:For example, the AN form, page 30 ...
SECTION 3 Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married or in
civil partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application: required for
applications made on the basis of residence in the United Kingdom: required for all applicants

Your passports Or

Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments
indicating presence in UK
i'm stumped... evidence of lawful residence by my current passport?! how's that going to prove that i have been legal. do they mean my ILR card? or sm i missing something here.
The passport would have visa vignettes affixed on it covering the required residence period. Hence is used as a means to verify that you had valid leave to remain in the country (I.e. were thereby lawfully resident). It's also used to verify your absences are within the allowed threshold - looking at the entry & exit stamps.
SECTION 5 Evidence of freedom from immigration time restrictions:required for all applicants
except those covered by SECTION 4 above.
Your passport showing permission to remain permanently in the UK Or
• The Home Office letter by which you were given permission to remain permanently in the UK
• If you came to the UK as an asylum seeker you should have evidence of appeal applications
Or
• Evidence of being freely landed
is my ILR card not enough? what if i dont have HO letter anymore?
the ILR card is sufficient to meet this requirement. The underlined point above refers to the same, even though it's still worded to be in line with the ILR stamp that used to be placed in passports, prior to when BRP cards were introduced.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks guys.

Is it true that if i use NCS before submitting my application for naturalisation, i get to keep my original passport and can use it to travel outside the UK for a week or so, with no consequences to my application for naturalisation?

It will be a huge plus if thats the case and to be honest sounds too good to be true!

can someone please confirm
Spreadsheet

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by zahmed05 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:10 pm

That's all correct.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:58 pm

arsenal49 wrote:Thanks guys.

Is it true that if i use NCS before submitting my application for naturalisation, i get to keep my original passport and can use it to travel outside the UK for a week or so, with no consequences to my application for naturalisation?

It will be a huge plus if thats the case and to be honest sounds too good to be true!

can someone please confirm
Yes true. There is also a new pilot scheme (only offered by a limited number of councils) where you are able to apply for both Naturalisation and Passport at the same time. Worth checking to see if it would be of interest to you and available at your local council.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:25 pm

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 pm

thanks everyone.

i was wondering if i HAVE to use my local council for NCS or it can be any council authority offering NCS . So for example, lets say i live in Harrogate but i dont want to pay their stupid fees and instead want to get it done via Manchester council where its cheaper. Will it cause any issue?

anyone done that?

is MAnchester on their pilot scheme?
Spreadsheet

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:38 pm

arsenal49 wrote:thanks everyone.

i was wondering if i HAVE to use my local council for NCS or it can be any council authority offering NCS . So for example, lets say i live in Harrogate but i dont want to pay their stupid fees and instead want to get it done via Manchester council where its cheaper. Will it cause any issue?

anyone done that?

is MAnchester on their pilot scheme?
You can use any NCS at any council to submit your application. It does not have to be where you live.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:01 pm

arsenal49 wrote:is MAnchester on their pilot scheme?
Best to call them to find out, or else check the council website. You can use any NCS that is convenient for you.