ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to Citizenship, English test query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

ILR to Citizenship, English test query

Post by wiltsduo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi there

My partner have been living in the UK for 15 years now. He stayed in the UK as follows:-

a) 2 years on working holiday visa
b) 2 Years as Unmarried Partner 13 as Unmarried Partner Visa
c) 11 years as Indefinite Leave to Remain Visa

We got married in 2015 and I would like him to take up UK citizenship. After looking at the information on GOV.UK, we are more confused than clearer.

Question:

1) Does he need to sit for the English test bearing in mind he has passed his Life in the UK test. He's from Singapore where education is conducted in English (he's sat for GCSE and has a pass in English). He also completed his Degree in Australia, studying at an Australian university in Melbourne for 2 years.

Thanks for any help!

If not, any advice or how to go about this would be most helpful!

Thanks!

Wiltsduo

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR to Citizenship, English test query

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:29 pm

He needs to meet the English language requirement. See FAQs English Language Requirement for Citizenship (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

Post by wiltsduo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:57 am

Thank you!

His Degree was from an Australian University and is conducted all in English. Seeing that Australia is one of the exempt country, does he need to prove anything or just submit his Degree scroll as evidence?

Thanks again!

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:19 am

wiltsduo wrote:His Degree was from an Australian University and is conducted all in English. Seeing that Australia is one of the exempt country, does he need to prove anything or just submit his Degree scroll as evidence?
Australia is not an exempt country. It's only if he is a Australian national that he would be a exempt from meeting the English language requirement.

Do read the FAQ posted previously to understand how to provide evidence that his degree is equivalent to a UK degree taught in English that would be acceptable to meet the English language requirement. I.e. Either be getting a letter from NARIC or using a PBS printout if the qualification is listed there.

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

Post by wiltsduo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:07 am

cs95tdg wrote:
wiltsduo wrote:His Degree was from an Australian University and is conducted all in English. Seeing that Australia is one of the exempt country, does he need to prove anything or just submit his Degree scroll as evidence?
Australia is not an exempt country. It's only if he is a Australian national that he would be a exempt from meeting the English language requirement.

Do read the FAQ posted previously to understand how to provide evidence that his degree is equivalent to a UK degree taught in English that would be acceptable to meet the English language requirement. I.e. Either be getting a letter from NARIC or using a PBS printout if the qualification is listed there.

Thank you all for advice. I have read the FAQ and did the PBS where he gets 10 points for his degree which meant that his qualifications is recognised.

Am I right to assume that means that it is okay to proceed with the application then; that is per the FQA kindly referenced for me to read?

Thanks!

aragon

Post by aragon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:55 am

wiltsduo wrote:Thank you all for advice. I have read the FAQ and did the PBS where he gets 10 points for his degree which meant that his qualifications is recognised.

Am I right to assume that means that it is okay to proceed with the application then; that is per the FQA kindly referenced for me to read?

Thanks!
If he is getting 10 points in Point base calculator then he is fine. I got my approval in December 2015 and this is what I sent with my application to prove English language requirement.

1) LIUK Certificate

2) My Overseas Degree + Point Base Calculator Print Out(Highlighting the 10 points for English Language)

It works.