ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from tier-2 general to tier-2 dependent visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kjain
Newly Registered

Switching from tier-2 general to tier-2 dependent visa

Post by kjain » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Dear community,

I have been working in UK on a tier-2 general visa since last 2 years. My query is regarding switching to a tier-2 dependent (spouse) visa with my husband still on his tier-2 general visa.

Can you please help me with the following queries regarding it:
1. Can there be any problems in doing this switch; will I have to go back to India to apply for the tier-2 dependent visa, or can I apply for it from within UK?

2. Can I undertake permanent AND contract jobs after getting the tier-2 dependent visa?

3. After 3 more years, if I want to apply for ILR (since I will have worked for a total of 5 years) will my already 2 years of work on tier-2 general visa count towards the total 5 years requirement?

4. If in future, for some reason, I want to switch back to a tier-2 general visa, is that easy to do (of course after finding a sponsor company) or are there any problems in that? For example, can I do that from within UK or will I have to go back to India for doing that? Also, will my total years of work keep counting towards getting an ILR with these switches?

Thanks much to this wonderful community for the help!

Regards,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Switching from tier-2 general to tier-2 dependent visa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:50 pm

1. You can switch within the UK. See Switching to PBS Dependent (click)

2. Yes

3. No, you will need 5 years residence as a PBS Dependent. You cannot add the 2 years as Tier 2 G to make up the 5 year requirement.

4. Yes, but you can only do it AFTER you have held PBS Dependent for at least 12 months. You will have to apply for Tier 2 General from home country. Clock towards ILR will be reset again to zero. Total years in different visa categories can only be combined for ILR based on 10 years long residence (as the rules stand now).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kjain
Newly Registered

Post by kjain » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks much CR001!

One more question please: If I switch to tier-2 dependent, and in next few years if my husband gets ILR, will I also be eligible to get an ILR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:27 pm

You need 5 years residence as a PBS Dependent before you will qualify for ILR. If your husband gets ILR, you can continue on the PBS Dependent visa and extend it if needed till you reach 5 years residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kjain
Newly Registered

Post by kjain » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Thank you CR001 for the prompt response!