ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Requirements to get the British Citizenship with PR Document

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gapyear
Newly Registered

Requirements to get the British Citizenship with PR Document

Post by gapyear » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi,

Being an EU citizen and having the PR document, which are the requirements (in terms or residence) to be able to apply for British Citizenship? Is it needed just 1 year of continued residence, or it needs to be 5+1?

As an example. If somebody how has the PR Document goes out of the country for a long period, let´s say a couple of years, and he comes back to the UK and establish his residence here. What´s the time he needs to wait until he can apply for the British citizenship?

Regards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Requirements to get the British Citizenship with PR Docu

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:50 pm

it needs to be 5+1
This one.

PR is lost if you are not resident in the UK for 2 years or more and if/when you return, you have to start the 5 years qualifying person period again from scratch. Absence of 6 months or more breaks continuity of residence.

Besides which, there are absence limits that you have to meet for citizenship. No more than 450 days in the 5 years immediately before date of application and no more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately before date of application.

You also need to have been physically present in the UK on the exact same correspond date 5 years ago, on the date that you submit your application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gapyear
Newly Registered

Post by gapyear » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Many thanks for your quick reply CR001.

I did some research and I found in the URL below this info:

"The document should be valid for 10 years and is automatically renewable without any condition or requirement."

The link:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

Is UK special in this sense? Or maybe the 2 years restriction is for non EU citizens?

Regards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:24 pm

Renewable (like a drivers license) if you are resident in the relevant country that you qualified for PR in. The same rule applies to non EU migrants who lose ILR if not resident in the UK.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... in-the-uk/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gapyear
Newly Registered

Post by gapyear » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:39 pm

Not what I wanted to hear, but many thanks for your help CR001.