ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absences - calculation of residence period for PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LilyLalilu

Absences - calculation of residence period for PR

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Here's my PR timeline:

1. Worker for 3 1/2 years
2. Left the country to go travelling for 2 months
3. Self-sufficient for 2 months (had enough savings and CSI)
4. Worker for 1 year and 2 months

During the two months away I was obviously not exercising treaty rights as I was abroad and therefore free from immigration restrictions. I thought that as long as the absence was under 6 months I would be able to count these two months of travelling towards PR as normal. However, this document which someone posted yesterday https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -16-15.pdf states the following: "Although absences do not break the continuity of the residence requirement, they do not count towards the accrual of the 5 years continuous residence. This is because these absences will generally be periods when the claimant is not exercising a right to reside as defined within the EEA regulations." (p.2)

Does this mean that I only acquire PR two months later than expected because I was absent from the UK for two months at some point during my 5 years of residence? I cannot find mention of this in the EEA regulations at all...
It would be great if someone could advise me on this, maybe someone who has applied for PR with longer absences in between. Just want to be sure before I put my application in, don't want to waste any time because of a rejected application :)

Thanks.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Re: Absences - calculation of residence period for PR

Post by noajthan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:06 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:Here's my PR timeline:

During the two months away I was obviously not exercising treaty rights as I was abroad and therefore free from immigration restrictions. I thought that as long as the absence was under 6 months I would be able to count these two months of travelling towards PR as normal. However, this document which someone posted yesterday https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -16-15.pdf states the following: "Although absences do not break the continuity of the residence requirement, they do not count towards the accrual of the 5 years continuous residence. This is because these absences will generally be periods when the claimant is not exercising a right to reside as defined within the EEA regulations." (p.2)

Does this mean that I only acquire PR two months later than expected because I was absent from the UK for two months at some point during my 5 years of residence? I cannot find mention of this in the EEA regulations at all...
It would be great if someone could advise me on this, maybe someone who has applied for PR with longer absences in between. Just want to be sure before I put my application in, don't want to waste any time because of a rejected application :)

Thanks.
The Regulations are very clear:
http://www.eearegulations.co.uk/Archive/V20150406

Whatever that guidance is I do not believe it overrides the Immigration Regulations and it appears to be a misinterpretation.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:14 pm

fyi - same question is discussed here:
http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/8521/

It appears the 'decision maker's guidance' (DMG) is at variance with EU law.

18august2014

Post by 18august2014 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:57 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:Here's my PR timeline:

Thanks.
Hello.

I am of the conjectural view that assuming you suspended your ties with the UK temporarily for those two months (i.e. no UK income, no property rented, or no other way to prove you were ordinarily resident in the UK for that time), then I would suggest adding an additional two months to the five years.

All the best.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks both!
I still had my flat in the UK whilst I was away and was paying rent and bills as normal. I was also sending out lots of applications to UK companies whilst I was away if this makes any difference?!
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

18august2014

Post by 18august2014 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:02 am

LilyLalilu wrote:Thanks both!
I still had my flat in the UK whilst I was away and was paying rent and bills as normal. I was also sending out lots of applications to UK companies whilst I was away if this makes any difference?!
It sounds like you were a jobseeker during that period but that you were travelling during those two months. You are required to show proof of residence throughout the five-year period (at least two types of evidence), so perhaps you could procure bills, bank statements and also proof you were applying for jobs during that period.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:52 am

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful :)
I think I will make a note for the case worker clearly pointing to the absence regulations but will also supply evidence of my rented accommodation in the UK plus evidence that I was job seeking during those two months, just to be on the safe side.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Just in case this may be relevant to anyone else in a similar situation who is confused by the DMG, this is the reply to this query I received from YourEurope Advice/Solvit: (sorry, a bit lengthy^^)

"According to this official guidance published by the Department of Works and Pensions, spending a few days or a few months outside the UK, whilst not constituting a break in the continuity of your residence, would still delay the completion of the required time spent in the UK which must be 5 years. We must highlight that the Department of Works and Pensions does not administer or apply the Directive with respect to the issue of a certificate of permanent residence. Accordingly, the link and guidance referred to in your post would not be used by the Home Office caseworkers. This guidance is therefore outside the scope of guidance which the Home Office would be following.

Be that as it may, we must also advise you that the guidance in question appears to be incompatible with EU law, inasmuch as it represents an unlawful restriction to the notion of continuity of residence as provided under Directive 2004/38. We must also highlight that caselaw from the Tribunal appears to be in conflict with the guidance excerpted in your post: Babajanov (Continuity of residence - Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006) [2013] UKUT 00513 (IAC). Eligibility for permanent residence in the UK under Article 16 Directive 2004/38 does not mean that you have to "clock" 5 years of physical residence in the UK, in accordance with the terms of Article 7 Directive 2004/38. This is precisely why both Articles (11 and 16 of Directive 2004/38, stipulate that continuity of residence is not broken; meaning that within the period of 5 years residence, the absences will neither break the continuity of residence, nor push it back). Were this to be the criteria, the anomaly would be that all other applications for residence under UK law, whether for immigration purposes or nationality purposes, would be conducted under a broader criteria than applications under EU law. The contention made by the DWP that this view is supported by the text of the Directive is misconceived, as highlighted above.
Article 16 Directive 2004/38 provides that the continuity of residence shall not be affected by temporary absences not exceeding six months a year, or by absences of a longer duration for compulsory military service or by one absence of a maximum of twelve consecutive months for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training, or a posting in another Member State or a third country". To draw from the above cited provision that permanent residence is achieved by the clocking of the exercise of rights of residence in the UK in accordance with article 7 is to draw a restrictive interpretation, which we reiterate is incompatible with caselaw under Metock (Case C 127/08)."