ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SELT English Test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Thanu1008
Newly Registered

SELT English Test

Post by Thanu1008 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi,

On 29 October UKBA has announced a change for settlement applications as below
The main changes are, ensuring indefinite leave and naturalisation applicants, who normally rely on an English language qualification, take a secure English language test

Here is the link to the announced changes
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/immi ... WR,DL8V3,1

Does this mean I have to take a SELT test to prove my English Skills, in spite of having a qualification taught in English and based on that qualification I have got my initial Tier 1 General visa granted on December 15, 2010.

I am planning to apply for ILR on November 23, 2015.

Please help.

haris_zam
- thin ice -

Re: SELT English Test

Post by haris_zam » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:20 pm

can you be precise about your qualification , did you do a uk degree?? if yes then nothing to worry about, otherwise you MAY have to do a test , depends on your situation ..

Thanu1008
Newly Registered

Post by Thanu1008 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:58 am

It is an Indian degree, Bachelor of Computer Applications from Osmania University. The degree is recognised by UKBA as an equivalent UK degree. Based on this degree I got my entry clearance approved for Tier 1 general back in 2010. I also got an extension for 3 years based on the same degree. I am due for ILR on Dec 2015.

haris_zam
- thin ice -

Post by haris_zam » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:42 pm

i am not sure , i hope soee one helps you here though..sorry buddy. it makes sense to use uknaric and get away without sitting a selt.. not sure though..

hydviv
Newly Registered

Post by hydviv » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanu,

If I were you, I would put this question to UKVI contact line/mail.
The guidance say "The Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement is changing in November 2015. From that date you will only be able to use an English language qualification at B1 level or above if it is on the
list of acceptable Home Office qualifications. This can be found at: http://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio ... uage-tests. From November other English language qualifications will no longer be accepted for this purpose."

The site www.gov.uk/english-language/ that is last updated on 12 Nov 2015 still has Degree Taught as one Option of English language criteria..

The way I interpret this is other English language test qualifications etc is not going to be valid as B1 is only criteria they would need instead.
However, Having a Degree taught and researched in English or being a National of English-Speaking Country should still qualify for Language Qualifications as in the past. (if these 2 are explicitly taken off, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who came in to UK from Dec 2010 and feel gutted of having to spend another £150 as a day light robbery?)

Hydviv.

ango_26

Post by ango_26 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello Thanu,

Did you find out if you still need to take the test or not? I have a similar case and it's not very clear what to do?

As per UKBA, it seems that they expect us to take this test. There is point about using an expired test which applies only when you’re applying to settle in the UK and your qualification was accepted for another UK immigration application, eg when you got permission to enter.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Hope this helps!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:55 am

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ango_26

Post by ango_26 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:31 am

Thank you Sushdmehta!