ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA National Spouse to British Citizen Spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kostikson
United Kingdom

EEA National Spouse to British Citizen Spouse

Post by kostikson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Dear all,

I am looking for advise if someone had to deal with the situation in the past. I've tried to use search but could not find similar topics, so I do apologies if that's been discussed. Happy to kill the post.

I am currently ready to apply for UK passport with all required paperwork in place. Just a formality to put application together and send it out. However query is that my wife is currently on EEA national visa and I am concerned that after I gave up my european passport she has to re-apply for UK spouse visa. Visa has started from Feb 2013 so she is one more year short until her ILR, previously she was on TIER 4 student for 16 months during her masters degree.

What is the best way to go forward in my case, wait until she applies for ILR and then put application together or apply now and re-apply for new visa.

Please advice

Regards
Konstantin

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: EEA National Spouse to British Citizen Spouse

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 pm

kostikson wrote:Dear all,

I am looking for advise if someone had to deal with the situation in the past. I've tried to use search but could not find similar topics, so I do apologies if that's been discussed. Happy to kill the post.

I am currently ready to apply for UK passport with all required paperwork in place. Just a formality to put application together and send it out. However query is that my wife is currently on EEA national visa and I am concerned that after I gave up my european passport she has to re-apply for UK spouse visa. Visa has started from Feb 2013 so she is one more year short until her ILR, previously she was on TIER 4 student for 16 months during her masters degree.

What is the best way to go forward in my case, wait until she applies for ILR and then put application together or apply now and re-apply for new visa.

Please advice

Regards
Konstantin
Do you already hold British citizenship?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kostikson
United Kingdom

Post by kostikson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Yes I hold certificate of naturalisation.
Casa wrote:

Please advice

Regards
Konstantin

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:24 pm

Please advice

Regards
Konstantin
If spouse is on EU route as dependent family member then, as long as you continue to exercise treaty rights, she may be on track to acquire PR (not ILR) sometime in 2018.

You are correct her PR clock will be stopped if you become a BC.

I assume by 'apply for passport' you may actually mean shoot for privilege of citizenship first (?). Passport application comes later.

If you do (or have) naturalise(d) before wife acquires PR then, yes, she will need an alternate UK-route visa in order to remain in UK.

Reason: a dual national who is a BC is only considered to be a BC by HO.
Last edited by noajthan on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 pm

kostikson wrote:Yes I hold certificate of naturalisation.
Casa wrote:

Please advice

Regards
Konstantin
@noajthan the OP says he already holds BC which was my concern when I asked him the question.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Dear Casa, I see it now.
(I can't type so fast on my fone & you beat me to it).

So OP is now a BC & so wife's EU route is terminated.
(2013 is too late to invoke the transitional arrangement).

kostikson
United Kingdom

Post by kostikson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Thanks for advice both.

Seems like I made a bit of mess with the spouse visa and have to re-apply for a UK one. I also hold the BC for more than a few months, would that be a problem. In principle I had to notify them as soon as I received it.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:41 pm

@kostikson The application/issue of a British passport is irrelevant. As noajthan has correctly advised, the granting of British citizenship put paid to your wife's route to PR via EEA regulations.
(Casa, not CR001)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 pm

kostikson wrote:Thanks for advice both.

Seems like I made a bit of mess with the spouse visa and have to re-apply for a UK one. I also hold the BC for more than a few months, would that be a problem. In principle I had to notify them as soon as I received it.
My understanding (although noajthan may be able to advise differently) is that your wife must move to the UK spouse route ASAP in order to remain here legally. I hope I may be mistaken as that seems drastic. Are you able to meet the minimum income level of £18,600 per annum? Your wife will also have to pass the A1 level English test from a HO approved provider unless she has a degree taught in English.
(Casa, not CR001)

kostikson
United Kingdom

Post by kostikson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Casa wrote:@kostikson The application/issue of a British passport is irrelevant. As noajthan has correctly advised, the granting of British citizenship put paid to your wife's route to PR via EEA regulations.
I am a bit confused. What should I do next:
If we would stay long term in UK, re-apply for UK spouse visa asap so 5 years period can be accumulated sooner.
Re-apply for UK spouse visa in 2017 once existing one expires.

kostikson
United Kingdom

Post by kostikson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Casa wrote:
kostikson wrote:Thanks for advice both.

My understanding (although noajthan may be able to advise differently) is that your wife must move to the UK spouse route ASAP in order to remain here legally. I hope I may be mistaken as that seems drastic. Are you able to meet the minimum income level of £18,600 per annum? Your wife will also have to pass the A1 level English test from a HO approved provider unless she has a degree taught in English.
Yes we can easily meet both criteria. Is that the FLR visa we should go for ?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Your wife doesn't currently hold a visa (if I've understood correctly). She has an EEA permit which is no longer valid now that you are a BC.
(Casa, not CR001)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:59 pm

kostikson wrote:
Casa wrote:@kostikson The application/issue of a British passport is irrelevant. As noajthan has correctly advised, the granting of British citizenship put paid to your wife's route to PR via EEA regulations.
I am a bit confused. What should I do next:
If we would stay long term in UK, re-apply for UK spouse visa asap so 5 years period can be accumulated sooner.
Re-apply for UK spouse visa in 2017 once existing one expires.
Unfortunately the RC is now invalid; its not actually a 'visa', your change of citizenship will have invalidated it.

Unless you both transfer out to another EU country (to follow Surinder Singh route) then EU rules are closed.

As Casa suggests, the mainstream path left now is the more stringent UK visa path.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:02 pm

The main issue as I see it, is that I'm not sure whether you can switch to a UK spouse visa from within the UK. This isn't normally permitted when the applicant doesn't have a valid visa in order to change categories. @noajthan your thoughts? :?
(Casa, not CR001)

kostikson
United Kingdom

Post by kostikson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 pm

what is the best way to get a professional advice on my case ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:51 am

Casa wrote:The main issue as I see it, is that I'm not sure whether you can switch to a UK spouse visa from within the UK. This isn't normally permitted when the applicant doesn't have a valid visa in order to change categories. @noajthan your thoughts? :?
Not sure about switching.

If it's this visa:
https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility

then am wondering what is meant by on release ...
If you’re in the UK on temporary admission or release (you don’t have a visa) you can only apply to switch if you both:

apply in a 10-year route
can prove you’ve been in the UK for more than 6 months before you apply

You can also switch between routes if your eligibility changes