ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Tier 2 (General) whilst on Tier 5 (YMS)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nicholasv
Newly Registered

Applying for Tier 2 (General) whilst on Tier 5 (YMS)

Post by nicholasv » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm coming towards the end date of my Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa, and have been offered sponsorship by my current employer. So will be applying for a Tier 2 (General) visa from Australia/home, as I cannot do so from within the UK.

My current Tier 5 visa expires May 11th 2016. Does this mean I can only apply for the Tier 2 General visa after May 11th, or am I able to return to Australian in, say, April, and apply for it then? Essentially - can I apply for the Tier 2 visa whilst my Tier 5 one is still valid, or do I need to wait until it expires?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Applying for Tier 2 (General) whilst on Tier 5 (YMS)

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:00 pm

You can apply anytime, if new visa granted, old one is automatically cancelled.

Is you employer a licensed sponsor and bear in mind also depending on the nature of the job, RLMT may need to be performed.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

nicholasv
Newly Registered

Post by nicholasv » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:08 pm

hi wanderer,

thanks for that. do you think it would potentially affect an application for settlement in the future if one of my visa's is cut short?

So the YMS is 2 years, then the Tier 2 General is 3 years, total 5 - however if my YMS is cut short by a few months do you think this will be an issue?

Thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 pm

nicholasv wrote:hi wanderer,

thanks for that. do you think it would potentially affect an application for settlement in the future if one of my visa's is cut short? No

So the YMS is 2 years, then the Tier 2 General is 3 years, total 5 - however if my YMS is cut short by a few months do you think this will be an issue? Tier 5 does not count towards ILR. You will need 5 years on Tier 2 General to qualify for ILR.

Thanks again
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nicholasv
Newly Registered

Post by nicholasv » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks.

Also, does anyone happen to know if I need to apply for the position they advertise for as part of the RLMT? Do they need to compare and prove my application to this or do I not need to do anything whilst they undertake it?

Thanks!