ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration status of a baby who was born in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SAA

Post by SAA » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi all !!

Our baby was born in the UK in November 2007. At the time the baby was born we were married.
My husband is Portuguese, he entered the UK in 1990. He has not obtained indefinite leave to remain but since December 1990 has been present and settled in the United Kingdom including when our baby was born.

I am Russian. I was granted an extension of stay as the spouse of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom in November 2007. Because my husband did not hold indefinite leave to remain in the UK we had to provide documents showed his settlement here for 5 years during my applying for a spousal visa.
So in a way he has already proved his settlement in the UK to the HO.

We wish the baby has a British citizenship.

I have the following questions:

1. Has my baby automatically acquired British citizenship and eligible to apply for her first 5-year child passport as a British citizen or we have to apply for her registration using form MN1 ?

2. Does my husband have to provide the documents to prove his 5-year settlement in the UK for this purpose?

Thank you

Decus et Tutamen

Post by Decus et Tutamen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:47 pm

from what I can see, your child has not automatically acquired British citizenship. Your husband may wish to apply for his permanent residence. Once he has this, he may then seek your son's discretionary registration as a British citizen under 3(1) of the '81 Act.

Alternatively, if your husband obtains his permanent residence and after a year applies for naturalisation as a British citizen, your son may then be registered by entitlement under section 1(3) of the '81 Act.

SAA

Post by SAA » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:05 pm

On the HO site I have read that there are two ways a child can automatically be a British citizen without needing to register.
One of them is that a child is born in the UK to parents who are settled in the UK at the time a child is born.
And then a child born in the UK to an EEA national after 30.04.2006 will be a British citizen if theit parent had been in the UK exercising a treaty right for more then 5 years OR has indefinite leave to remain.

????

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:47 am

1. If the father had a Permanent right of residenceat the time of his baby's birth in the UK, then I believe that the baby is automatically a UK citizen under section s1(1)( b ) of the British Nationality Act 1981. British children may apply for UK passports.

2. Yes. See also The child was born or adopted in the UK. They would need to verify her father's immigration status at the time of her birth.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:29 am

Decus et Tutamen wrote:from what I can see, your child has not automatically acquired British citizenship. Your husband may wish to apply for his permanent residence.
Vinny has already responded, but husband is already a permanent resident (since 30 April 2006). So child is automatically a British citizen.
Once he has this, he may then seek your son's discretionary registration as a British citizen under 3(1) of the '81 Act.
If child had been born before husband got permanent residence, then it would be section 1(3) registration not 3(1).
Alternatively, if your husband obtains his permanent residence and after a year applies for naturalisation as a British citizen, your son may then be registered by entitlement under section 1(3) of the '81 Act.
Registration of a child under section 1(3) of the Act does not require the parent to naturalise.

Bottom line in all of this is that the child is British already and it would probably be a good idea for husband to become naturalised British.

No reason why child shouldn't have a Portuguese citizenship certificate and Portuguese passport as well.

SAA

Post by SAA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Thanks for answer !
Does it basically mean we can just apply for her passport ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:56 pm

Yes, but picking up on the word "just", as in " just apply for her passport ?", when the British Passport application is submitted it will be a question of proving that the child's father does indeed have PR status in the UK. So expect to have to submit documents proving that, that the father has indeed been exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK for at least 5 years prior to the birth of the baby.

For example, the father is employed? If so, does he have forms P60 going back over 5 years at least?
John

SAA

Post by SAA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:06 pm

Yes, my husband has all necessary documents for it.

As I understand correctly, husband can apply for his naturalisation as a British citizen only in a year period after applying for permanent recidense in the UK using form EEA3 . Is it correct ?

Thank you

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:27 pm

No! Since the new EU regulations came into force on 30.04.06, applications on the EEA series of forms are effectively voluntary. That is, any sticker produced by such an application is merely confirmatory. The sticker, by itself, gives no additional rights. It merely proves that such rights are held.

So assuming that your husband has never applied for PR status, he automatically acquired PR status on 30.04.06, assuming he had been exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK for at least 5 years.

Thus it follows that given that he has held PR status for at least one year, he is entitled to apply for Naturalisation now ..... assuming that he has passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test. If that test not yet passed, then he can apply as soon as he is holding the pass certificate.
John

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:35 pm

SAA wrote:I am Russian. I was granted an extension of stay as the spouse of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom in November 2007
What exactly did you apply for? What length of permit/visa was granted? And was there an application fee, or was it free?
John

SAA

Post by SAA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:07 pm

I appllied for extension of stay as the spouse of a person present and settled in the UK using Form FLR(M), was granted leave to remain for a period of 2 years. It was not freeeeee what a shame :) £395

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Who advised you to make that application?
John

SAA

Post by SAA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Nobdy advised. I just looked on the HO site and decided that it was my case :oops:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:07 pm

Can I ask, when did the two of you get married? And how long have you been in the UK? And before you got that 2-year spouse visa, what was your UK immigration history?
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:08 pm

SAA wrote:Nobdy advised. I just looked on the HO site and decided that it was my case :oops:
I think this is where John tells you about the EEA Family Permit!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:56 pm

Well Wanderer, I am really not sure. Dependent upon the answers to those questions, she might have had PR, but all depends upon a number of factors.
John