ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET (O) Dependant

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rakesh06
Newly Registered

SET (O) Dependant

Post by rakesh06 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi All,

I am due to change my status from Tier 1 (General) to ILR next month along with my wife who is on dependant visa. We both have Life in UK certificate and I have an UK Masters Degree to show as Knowledge of English proof.

However my wife have an India Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from a recognised university under Points Based Calculator so I am wondering whether this will be considered as a Proof of English Knowledge during the application ?

Following link suggests that You should carry Degree Certificate and a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English". Options provided in PBC is only applicable for Main applicant but not dependant, So I am wondering how I can show a proof of English for my wife does she have to take English Test ?

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Rakesh

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: SET (O) Dependant

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Whether one holds a qualification equivalent to UK bachelor's degree (or higher) depends on the "qualification" and not on the "immigration status of the person".
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

rakesh06
Newly Registered

Post by rakesh06 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Mehta,

Thanks for your quick response and your statement absolutely make sense !

But in Set(O) form Version(11-15) Section 4.3 indicates that I need to provide a confirmation letter from UK Naric that partners Bachelor's Degree was taught in English.

AS my partners Bachelor Degree is recognised under PBC I thought it would be a straight forward thing to get the "English Language Assessment" certificate from UK Naric but having spoken to their Customer Service they need a confirmation letter from Indian university that Degree was taught in English. To obtain one of these letters from India is really going to be a mundane task and if I manage to get 1 wouldn't definitely be before my visa appointment next month.

Can you please suggest if there is a way around or have no option but take the English test in UK or get a confirmation letter from University.

Thanks Again.

Regards,
Rakesh

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

dumdeedum
Newly Registered

Post by dumdeedum » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:31 pm

PBS calculator printout for your wife as well. I had the same concern and had this clarified with the Home Office. Got it in an email :)