ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Section 4 of UK British Passport Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Niza_carson

Section 4 of UK British Passport Application

Post by Niza_carson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Dear all,

I have my citizenship ceremony on Thursday, the 28th of January 2016, and after the ceremony (same day) I am thinking of also applying for my first British Passport using the post office check and send service.

I am currently having a problem filling in section 4 of the application form. One problem is parent's details; my biological father is not entirely known to me as he and my mother were not married and he died shortly after my birth. My mother does not remember his date and place of birth. I am wondering if parent's details are really necessary for a naturalised individual (The form says to fill in section 4 if applying for first British passport).

Secondly, how important are the grandparents details. Since I do not know my biological father, I also do not know his parents. And I also do not know my maternal grandfather as he died when I was only a baby. I do not want to add information I am uncertain about just so I do not struggle to answer some questions at the interview stage.

Do I write a letter explaining why I can not give these details, or do I just leave it blank? I have read a few posts on here about section 4 and it is a mixed response of leaving blank or filling in.

Any help would be very welcomed. Thank you.

noajthan

Re: Section 4 of UK British Passport Application

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Niza_carson wrote:Dear all,

I have my citizenship ceremony on Thursday, the 28th of January 2016, and after the ceremony (same day) I am thinking of also applying for my first British Passport using the post office check and send service.

I am currently having a problem filling in section 4 of the application form.

Do I write a letter explaining why I can not give these details, or do I just leave it blank? I have read a few posts on here about section 4 and it is a mixed response of leaving blank or filling in.

Any help would be very welcomed. Thank you.
Grandparents details are not required for naturalisation cases.
you can answer NOT REQUIRED or UNKNOWN.

Probably not necessary, but you could add a brief note if you wish to confirm why you replied in that way; (I did that too, in my family's case).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Leave the fields for grandparents details blank as they are not required when applying for your first passport after naturalising. See page 13 of the passport form guidance.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ssport.pdf
For fathers details, just state unknown.

Niza_carson

Post by Niza_carson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Thank you all so much for your help!

Niza_carson

Post by Niza_carson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:51 pm

I am sorry for bothering anyone with this...but I only just realised the previous responses says grandparents details are not required so I should fill in the box as unknown. However, how about father's details. Do I also do the same as I also do not have this information? Has anyone seen elsewhere an applicant who left a parent's details blank and still had their British Passport with no complications?

Many thanks.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Niza_carson wrote: However, how about father's details. Do I also do the same as I also do not have this information?
cs95tdg wrote:For fathers details, just state unknown.