ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax Reduction

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

janinah
Mood:
United Kingdom

Council Tax Reduction

Post by janinah » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi all,
I just have a question. My scenario like:

I am on ILR, wife on spouse visa, two children british 4 yrs & 1 yr old. Now, recently i claimed for housing benefits. Today, i got reply stating whole housing benefit & whole council tax deduction. I am little confused. As far i know, as my wife still under immigration, i need to pay 75% of council tax.. I stated about her status in the application & provided documents. Am i wrong or they are...

Please let me know....

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Council Tax Reduction

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:40 pm

Two adults in one household has to pay 100% council tax. Why do you think you are entitled to the 25% single person discount?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

janinah
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by janinah » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Sorry, but i think i already stated i claimed for housing benefits and council tax reduction. I got both but my question as my wife still under immigration status, am i eligible for whole reduction or single person discount considering her as only liable person ? Or its not matter her immigration status like child tax credit or child benefit.

Hopefully, i clear my question.... Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:28 pm

Single person discount is only applicable to full time students or single people. It has nothing to do with her immigration status.

Bear in mind that you have to prove the financial requirement again when she extends her visa or applies for ILR.

Housing benefit should only be a single plus children rate. She cannot be included in the calculation as a 'household member' for benefit purposes, although any income she earns will be used to calculate your entitlement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

janinah
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by janinah » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, she will extend her visa in 2018. As both of us working part time & our both children british.. Our both combined income needed £20k which is ok. Btw, for the financial requirement, how many months' income considered ? Last 12 months or 6 months ?

And, when you say single rate.. What does it mean ? Becuase i can see from the calculation, they considered both income & then family premium, 2 young person under 11 & couple with person - 18 to pension age.

I clearly stated in the extra page that my wife under immigration and given her biometric copy to keep everything clean & clear for her immigration status..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 pm

6 months payslips and bank statements when she extends.

Single person discount is the 25% discount the council have.

You are likely getting a Council Tax Support and likely due to your children being under 18 and your income.
Char (CR001 not Casa)