ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Various questions regarding BC application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Various questions regarding BC application

Post by ohara » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:44 am

You don't need to give biometric information for PR if you are an EEA national. However you will when you submit the citizenship application.

For the confirmation of PR you just need to show evidence of 5 continuous years of exercising treaty rights, for example employment. Ideally use a period that ended at least 12 months ago. I used July 2009 to July 2014.

It is not necessary to use the form, but if you aren't 100% sure what you are doing then it's probably best you do use it. You only need to show absences from the start of your qualifying period to the present day, this is just so they can confirm you have not lost PR due to being out of the country too long. Don't worry about giving information about anything before your qualifying period, as it is not relevant or legally required and they can't reject your application because of it.

Providing you do use a qualifying period which ended at least 12 months ago, you can apply for citizenship as soon as you receive the PR confirmation. Obviously you need to make sure you meet all of the other criteria for naturalisation, such as good character.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:57 pm

Thank you for your time in explaining to me - I have already submitted my PR paperwork and have my passport and originals back I'm hoping to get the document soon.

I just don't understand why the period has to have ended ... in my PR document application I showed evidence of employment from day 1 in October 2001 to date for example

Do I need to take a knowledge of life and language test too - seems pointless...Im an English, Maths and ICT tutor in adult education :roll:

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:22 pm

ohara wrote:Hey alvarez :D check this out mate: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1289482

I am following your progress with interest as our cases are similar, it would be nice to know how you get on so could you perhaps PM me when something happens, in case I miss it on the forum?

Good luck 8)
Ditto mate. I regularly view yours posts to see where you are up to in all this because as you say, we are in similar circumstances. Thanks for your reply. But I'm still a bit confused on the whole citizenship front. I only provided evidence of treaty rights for about five and a half years now six which you state is ideally what people should do if they apply for PR and have worked in uk for a while. My PR application was on the basis of working from Feb 2010. So I will have achieved PR in Feb 2015. Will this be date be on the home office system then?
so that I can apply for citizenship after Feb 2016. Or do I have to wait a year from the date on my PR document which states December 2015? Cheers mate

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:50 pm

If your PR qualifying period ended in February 2015 then you can apply for citizenship in February 2016 on the same date. Personally I would wait 2 weeks after the exact date just to be doubly sure. :)

Any chance you can upload a photo of the PR doc with personal details removed? I want to see what it looks like as it doesn't seem I'll be receiving mine any time soon :cry:

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:19 pm

That's not my document but a version of it I found online whilst googeling DCPR:

http://zboralski.cba.pl/wp-content/uplo ... ce2012.jpg

Not sure if they have changed the document's design/format since then...

It goes into this blue booklet (or pink for Swiss nationals) which can be seen on p. 18 of this guide: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... orking.pdf
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:52 pm

ohara wrote:If your PR qualifying period ended in February 2015 then you can apply for citizenship in February 2016 on the same date. Personally I would wait 2 weeks after the exact date just to be doubly sure. :)

Any chance you can upload a photo of the PR doc with personal details removed? I want to see what it looks like as it doesn't seem I'll be receiving mine any time soon :cry:
Lillylua's link on page 18 shows exactly what the document is mate. It's the one on the bottom right of page 18. I'm sure your PR will arrive soon mate.

Ok cool appreciate your input. I just wasn't sure as to when I would be able to apply for citizenship as people were mentioning on here that it was best to submit evidence for a 6 year period, which I was unable to do as I've
Only been employed full time since Feb 2010 and I applied for the PR document in November just gone. So I am correct in assuming that the home office will have logged in their fancy system the date that I achieved permanent residency?
I'm thinking off applying for citizenship in April so that I can submit the extra p60 for the year 2015-2016 so that I will have 7 p60s in total, and the PR document. Although as I said before if they expect us to wait a year from the date on or PR document I will be extremely angry as it is very expensive
To apply for citizenship and the price is going up in April as you know

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:09 pm

You don't need to wait a year from the DCPR issue date. You need to have held PR status for a year, but not the document.
They should log the date on the Caseworker Information Database so that the nationality casework team can cross-check the date you actually acquired PR. If you wanna be a 100% sure which date is recorded you should be able to find this out by doing a Subject Access Request (SAR) to the Home Office/UKVI. I'm not an expert on this but such information should be recorded in a SAR if it's in the HO system.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to research into this sar that tou mentioned. But on the basis of that information as well as what other people have stated, I may be swayed to apply for the citizenship around April time and not in December 2016 (a year from the date stated on my PR document). I will keep people up to date with this

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:43 am

So have I finally got it -

I entered the UK in 2001 on a working holiday 2 year visa - then in 2003 Malta joined the EU - am I right in thinking that my PR qualifying period ended in 2008? I have applied for my PR document which hopefully should be here soon ( my employer was contacted by HO yesterday) . Because my qualifying period ended in 2008 I can proceed with BC application immediately?

Did I see that fees are going up in April???.... AAAAHHHHH :-(

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:30 am

margotvella wrote:So have I finally got it -

I entered the UK in 2001 on a working holiday 2 year visa - then in 2003 Malta joined the EU - am I right in thinking that my PR qualifying period ended in 2008? I have applied for my PR document which hopefully should be here soon ( my employer was contacted by HO yesterday) . Because my qualifying period ended in 2008 I can proceed with BC application immediately?

Did I see that fees are going up in April???.... AAAAHHHHH :-(
As long as you gave evidence to show you were exercising treaty rights from 2003-2008 then YES, you can apply for BC immediately once you receive the PR doc. The fees are indeed going up in April, the AN is going to be around £1230 :shock:

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Angry doesn't even come close - PR application rejected because I didn't provide 5 years worth of wage slips! Had I had a crystal ball I would have kept everything but 5 years ago I didn't know I would be applying for PR and BC.

Re-Apply again - pay again - and no further advice was given on the phone. Pretty disgusted actually bearing in mind I've had mortgages and a steady job and have paid my taxes in this country for 15 years just haven't got anything tangible sat at home to submit.

Does anybody know if 5 years worth of bank statements showing continuous transactions done from the UK towards bills, rent etc is acceptable as I'm not keen to go and throw away more money for it to be rejected AGAIN. FUMING- can somebody please help me with what is acceptible evidence of 5 years exercising treaty - I dont have wage slips dating that far back!

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:44 pm

margotvella wrote:Angry doesn't even come close - PR application rejected because I didn't provide 5 years worth of wage slips! Had I had a crystal ball I would have kept everything but 5 years ago I didn't know I would be applying for PR and BC.

Re-Apply again - pay again - and no further advice was given on the phone. Pretty disgusted actually bearing in mind I've had mortgages and a steady job and have paid my taxes in this country for 15 years just haven't got anything tangible sat at home to submit.

Does anybody know if 5 years worth of bank statements showing continuous transactions done from the UK towards bills, rent etc is acceptable as I'm not keen to go and throw away more money for it to be rejected AGAIN. FUMING- can somebody please help me with what is acceptible evidence of 5 years exercising treaty - I dont have wage slips dating that far back!
The easiest thing in your position would be to provide p60s covering the relevant five year period. If you don't have this alternatively you can contact Hmrc and they should pull your records up on their system and will be able to
Provide you with a substitute record of work employment history for the period your going for.
Alternatively- you could ask your employer (s) at the time to write you an employment letter merely stating the years they employed you. I used p60s and employment letters I think that should more then suffice

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:57 pm

margotvella wrote:Angry doesn't even come close - PR application rejected because I didn't provide 5 years worth of wage slips! Had I had a crystal ball I would have kept everything but 5 years ago I didn't know I would be applying for PR and BC.

Surprisingly quick turn around time.
- have you had any official response in writing?

Note: HO helpline is notoriously unreliable & not to be trusted for any but most trivial dealings.

In connection with your application, did you follow the guidance to the letter - to avoid giving HO any 'wriggle room'?
Employment
  • Letter from each employer confirming the dates you/your sponsor worked for them,
    salary/wages, normal hours of work, and the reason the employment ended (if relevant);
    Wage slips and/or bank statements showing receipt of wages (this must cover each job you have/your sponsor has held during the relevant qualifying period);
    P60s for each year in which you were/your sponsor was employed
If you can’t submit the documents above (for example, you’ve lost the relevant documents, the employer is no longer trading or you are/your sponsor is unable to contact them), you should enclose a letter explaining why not and you must submit alternative evidence of the relevant employment, such as:
  • P45s;
    signed contract of employment;
    notice of redundancy;
    letter accepting resignation;
    letter of dismissal;
    employment tribunal judgment relating to the employment;
Noting...
If you receive bank statements in online/electronic format only, ask your bank to stamp each page with their official stamp
Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... nts_v1.pdf
- see page 7
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:42 pm

I thought I followed it to the letter. I really thought I did. However I haven't got ANY of the docs you mentioned that date back for the length of the qualifying period.

I can get round it, Im sure I can with supporting letters etc However my anger is over the fact that you are not given a chance to put right anything missing or wrong - it's just dismissed.

The call I had wasn't to confirm rejection as that is done in writing it's to offer me something else called a REgistration Document instead. No good to me when applying for BC.

I could request bank statements that show all my wages - not a problem BUT I really don't think it's fair having to re-submit an application, pay again etc. Knowing my luck I'll accidentally omit something else and it gets rejected again.

All this because my mother was born in UK,moved to Malta and renounced her British citizenship at the time of my birth, she is now British again!!!! Grr!

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:51 pm

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:32 pm

margotvella wrote:would this do it?
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... oforma.pdf
If that's for tax/NI history that can help. But not sure HMRC will go back 12/13 years to 2003.

You need to pick a 5 year period for which you can show rock-solid evidence - for treaty rights, your residency, your ID, absences within limits & etc.

As you have found HO plays hardball & takes no prisoners.

alvarez0306

Post by alvarez0306 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14 pm

If you do not have any p60s covering the relevant five year period you are going for, I would just ring up your ex employee and ask them whether they would be so kind to type a short letter confirming the dates that they employed you to. That should Definetly suffice along with some bank statements and whatever else you can get your hands on. Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you all - I managed to fine a lot of P60's so that along with a letter from some of the employers and a HMRC confirmation I should be fine. Hopefully the HO can join the dots - all the evidence will be there just ''bitty''.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:22 pm

margotvella wrote:Thank you all - I managed to fine a lot of P60's so that along with a letter from some of the employers and a HMRC confirmation I should be fine. Hopefully the HO can join the dots - all the evidence will be there just ''bitty''.
We're rooting for you.

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:10 pm

noajthan wrote:
margotvella wrote:Thank you all - I managed to fine a lot of P60's so that along with a letter from some of the employers and a HMRC confirmation I should be fine. Hopefully the HO can join the dots - all the evidence will be there just ''bitty''.
We're rooting for you.
Thank you so glad I found this forum :P

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:25 am

Good morning everybody so here i am with a latest update months down the line ..post Brexit vote!
I've decided to dig deep into my pockets and employ an immigration lawyer who sent off my PR application at the end of May - to date I haven't yet had an acknowledgement or reference number and certainly haven't had my passport and documents back. One can only assume that it's because a lot of EU nationals are doing what Im doing due to the referendum.
Anybody else experiencing delays? I have managed, with the help of my lawyer..to submit about 8 years worth of evidence out of the 17 I've been here proving that I've been exercising the treaty so I can't see that being a problem.
Just wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing delays it's been over a month and I've not even had a reference number. When I sent it off last year (and was rejected due to lack of paperwork submitted) I had a reference number within 3 weeks!
Many thanks

imnewhere

Post by imnewhere » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:32 am

As you articulated, there would be a huge number of EU nationals doing the same. Some people are even put off of applying ( my friends from EU) because they know it would be a long wait for a decision on this.

Hopefully it would take too long till you get a decision.

What makes it worse is the fact that none of the politicians can guarantee the right of EU citizens here which is a bit bizzare!

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:46 pm

margotvella wrote:Good morning everybody so here i am with a latest update months down the line ..post Brexit vote!
I've decided to dig deep into my pockets and employ an immigration lawyer who sent off my PR application at the end of May - to date I haven't yet had an acknowledgement or reference number and certainly haven't had my passport and documents back. One can only assume that it's because a lot of EU nationals are doing what Im doing due to the referendum.
Anybody else experiencing delays? I have managed, with the help of my lawyer..to submit about 8 years worth of evidence out of the 17 I've been here proving that I've been exercising the treaty so I can't see that being a problem.
Just wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing delays it's been over a month and I've not even had a reference number. When I sent it off last year (and was rejected due to lack of paperwork submitted) I had a reference number within 3 weeks!
Many thanks
Just out of interest why did you use a solicitor?

- It can take up to 6 weeks to process your payment and the confirmation letter will normally arrive with the biometric invitation.
- You won't get your documents back until HO have made a decision on your case, unless you request them back earlier. If you had used NCS, you would have kept your original documents (it's also far cheaper than a solicitor!)
- Why did you submit 7 years of evidence?! Did you send your permanent residence card / document certifying permanent residence with the application??

With the Brexit vote and uncertainty of EU citizens future in the UK, there is of course going to be an enormous increase in the amount of citizenship applications for the next few months (or years)!

margotvella
Newly Registered

Post by margotvella » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 am

I used a solicitor as I got tired of throwing money down the drain. I applied for PR Card last year and it got rejected because I didnt know I had to include 5years (+1) of continuous residency (payslips, rent, bank slips etc!)
So decided to use a solicitor and hand it over to her which didnt really break the bank. I've been here 17 years so we decided to throw everything we can at them to make sure no stone is left unturned. Including the fact that I have a British daughter (her father British although we're not together anymore).
When they rejected me lat time they offered me a blue residency card instead which is obviously no good to proceed with for Naturalisation.
Not even sure what NCS is (well I do now as I looked it up). HO have my passport, about 500 pages of bank statements, birth certificates...the lot. I sent them in a month before the referendum.
I haven't even got a reference number..can I request the documents without that reference number via https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outrea ... ments.ofml
I also wish to register my daugher's birth in Malta to enable her to have dual citizenship too but can't do anything without my passport...and my father passed away in Malta in April and can't get there to sort out and finalise his affairs without my passport. 2016 is really not a good year!