ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application - peculiar "name" issue

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amber19
Newly Registered

British Passport application - peculiar "name" issue

Post by amber19 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 am

Hi,
Recently my wife applied for a British passport. her name is Dimple Gupta. In the British passport application she filled her surname as Gupta and First Name as Dimple. We received a letter from HMPO that passport can't be issued against name "Dimple Agrawal" as name in british passport application is different from indian passport application. Please note she didnt intend to change her name anyway.

We were very surprised to receive such letter and then cross-checked the application and indian passport. what we have found out is, In Indian passport given name" is appearing as "Dimple Gupta" and surname is blank. We didn't realize this till today.. In fact she got UK VISA, ILR, naturalization on the basis of " surname = Gupta, First Name = Dimple".

Since she has already got the Naturalization letter, Indian authorities wont correct the name in Indian passport.

Has anybody faced such a situation and advise what should I do to come out of this?? :roll: :roll:

Thanks v. much

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: British Passport application - peculiar "name" issue

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:43 pm

Where did this "Agarwal" appear from? Is HO imagining it or does any of your wife's documents mention this?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

amber19
Newly Registered

Post by amber19 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:04 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Where did this "Agarwal" appear from? Is HO imagining it or does any of your wife's documents mention this?
Hi sushdmehta, actually i made a typo error while writting the post. it should read as below

Hi,
Recently my wife applied for a British passport. her name is Dimple Gupta. In the British passport application she filled her surname as Gupta and First Name as Dimple. We received a letter from HMPO that passport can't be issued against name "Dimple Gupta" as name in british passport application is different from indian passport application. Please note she didnt intend to change her name anyway.

We were very surprised to receive such letter and then cross-checked the application and indian passport. what we have found out is, In Indian passport given name" is appearing as "Dimple Gupta" and surname is blank. We didn't realize this till today.. In fact she got UK VISA, ILR, naturalization on the basis of " surname = Gupta, First Name = Dimple".

Since she has already got the Naturalization letter, Indian authorities wont correct the name in Indian passport.

Has anybody faced such a situation and advise what should I do to come out of this?? :roll: :roll:

Thanks v. much

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:35 pm

How is her name mentioned in the naturalisation certificate?
*Gupta* Dimple
or
Dimple Gupta

amber19
Newly Registered

Post by amber19 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 pm

sushdmehta wrote:How is her name mentioned in the naturalisation certificate?
*Gupta* Dimple
or
Dimple Gupta
It is "GUPTA" Dimple :roll:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:08 pm

The letter you have received reflects the HMPO's policy on names - that a UK passport will be issued in the name exactly as mentioned in the applicant's ID document (uncancelled Indian passport in this case).

But there is a catch here too (something that is not published in their policy document) - that there is no provision in HMPO IT systems to leave the surname field blank. So, your wife will be issued a UK passport with names fields showing Name - XXX, Surname - Dimple Gupta.

See No Given Names on British Passport

Tough luck, your wife should have paid more attention to how her name is mentioned in her Indian passport, before applying for naturalisation. You / she realized it a bit too late!!

amber19
Newly Registered

Post by amber19 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:33 pm

sushdmehta wrote:The letter you have received reflects the HMPO's policy on names - that a UK passport will be issued in the name exactly as mentioned in the applicant's ID document (uncancelled Indian passport in this case).

But there is a catch here too (something that is not published in their policy document) - that there is no provision in HMPO IT systems to leave the surname field blank. So, your wife will be issued a UK passport with names fields showing Name - XXX, Surname - Dimple Gupta.

See No Given Names on British Passport

Tough luck, your wife should have paid more attention to how her name is mentioned in her Indian passport, before applying for naturalisation. You / she realized it a bit too late!!
Thanks sushdmehta for the guidance. very tricky situation as everywhere else her name is correctly written. After I get the British passport with surname = "Dimple Gupta" and no given name, do you know whether HMPO will accept another request to correct the name ie Surname=Gupta, Given Name = "Dimple"?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:39 pm

Yes,

After your wife is issued UK passport in the strange name format as mentioned above, here's the sequence you will need to follow (to make the whole process least cumbersome):
1. Surrender Indian passport.
2. Change name through deed poll.
3. Apply for new UK passport in new name (given name = Dimple; surname=Gupta), include deed poll.

amber19
Newly Registered

Post by amber19 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:44 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Yes,

After your wife is issued UK passport in the strange name format as mentioned above, here's the sequence you will need to follow (to make the whole process least cumbersome):
3. Apply for new UK passport in new name (given name = Dimple; surname=Gupta), include deed poll.
great! great! :D :D many thanks

amber19
Newly Registered

Post by amber19 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi sushdmehta, I sent a letter explaining my situation that I have used same indian passport for all UK entries and that Indian Embassy wont change the name in my passport, I was advised by HMPO that they need a written proof. and if they get a written proof, then they proceed with my application. :D
Then I wrote an email to HCI London and have got their response stating that HCI London wont provide any services on Indian Passport. (I am hoping that email proof can act as written proof?) :D

Then I called up HMPO again primarily to ask whether there is an email address to which I need to forward response from hci-london or need to send a letter. Quite surprisingly for me, the lady advised that you cant apply for British Passport while you are already an indian citizen. She gave me two options that either change the name in Indian Passport or surrender the indian passport and then apply for British passport. :cry:

Now this has become kind of mess as you would understand. Can you please guide and help me get out of this mess please??
:roll:

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:25 pm

amber19 wrote:
Then I called up HMPO again primarily to ask whether there is an email address to which I need to forward response from hci-london or need to send a letter. Quite surprisingly for me, the lady advised that you cant apply for British Passport while you are already an indian citizen.
This makes no sense whatsoever. Once you qualify for a British Passport as a British citizen, you can apply if and when you please. The UK makes no restrictions at all with regards to foreign citizenship(s).

sham111

Post by sham111 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Has any one successfully received there second british passport after deed poll with name change as above.

kaurM
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by kaurM » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:27 pm

amber19 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi sushdmehta, I sent a letter explaining my situation that I have used same indian passport for all UK entries and that Indian Embassy wont change the name in my passport, I was advised by HMPO that they need a written proof. and if they get a written proof, then they proceed with my application. :D
Then I wrote an email to HCI London and have got their response stating that HCI London wont provide any services on Indian Passport. (I am hoping that email proof can act as written proof?) :D

Then I called up HMPO again primarily to ask whether there is an email address to which I need to forward response from hci-london or need to send a letter. Quite surprisingly for me, the lady advised that you cant apply for British Passport while you are already an indian citizen. She gave me two options that either change the name in Indian Passport or surrender the indian passport and then apply for British passport. :cry:

Now this has become kind of mess as you would understand. Can you please guide and help me get out of this mess please??
Hi amber19, Did they accept HCI London's written proof and issued you the British passport?
I have the same situation. HMPO asked me to get the written proof from HCI.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:29 pm

kaurM wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:27 pm
amber19 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi amber19, Did they accept HCI London's written proof and issued you the British passport?
I have the same situation. HMPO asked me to get the written proof from HCI.
User 'amber19' has not logged into the forum for more than 2 years. Best would be to start your own topic with your circumstances and questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.