ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony extension - Help Please

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Srinibondugula

Citizenship ceremony extension - Help Please

Post by Srinibondugula » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:38 am

Hello Friends,

Help please..I've received a letter from Home office that my application for British citizenship application has been successful and I would need to attend citizenship ceremony conducted by local council.

Unfortunately I'm currently out of the UK(In India) and will not return to the UK for the next 4-5 months due to family reasons. I know there is a option to attend ceremony abroad if the applicant is not in the UK, but I'm completely clueless about the process and contacts. Do you know anyone who attended ceremony outside UK? Is it really possible to extend the timelines beyond 3 months? Otherwise I would need to travel to UK just to attend ceremony which is expensive and time taking.

Can the forum experts provide your view please? I'm married to a British citizen, guess this is required to attend ceremony in British embassy in India

Can someone advise the email address of home office to request citizen ceremony extension please? Is it FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk OR NationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk?

I will cite health issues as a reason for extension, hopefully I will get a reply from home office.

Cam someone suggest a better approach please? Is it good to request homeoffice for conducting ceremony abroad or request for an extension and then travel to UK to avoid any hassles?

vinny

Re: Citizenship ceremony extension - Help Please

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:19 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:58 am

See Also 6.11.22.6
We should normally agree to extend the deadline
where:

 the applicant is temporarily abroad (Nb. If this is a
naturalisation case under s.6(1) of the BNA 1981,
any absence of 6 months or longer may affect the
applicants ability to meet the future intentions
requirement and the case should be referred to a
Senior Caseworker)

 the applicant (or a close family member) is ill;

 there has been some form of administrative error,
either by the Home Office, a Post abroad or the
local authority (e.g. the ceremony invitation was not
received in time or was sent to the wrong address)

Nb. Any request for an extension to this time limit for
more than 6 months, or which is for a different
reason, should be referred to the Nationality
Group Casework Manager who will consider it in
conjunction with NPT[/size]

Srinibondugula

Ceremony extension

Post by Srinibondugula » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:06 am

Hi Freinds,

I'm trying to extend my citizenship ceremony beyond 90 days. I've had my approval letter dated Jan 10th, so techinically I would need to attend before April 10th. I'm currently abroad and will not be able to return to UK at least until end of May. I know the restrictions and the hassle that this could create if i take this beyind 90 days.

I'm trying to contact home office to arrange extensison, but i'm unsure who to contact(email address?) and the reason i should mention to make it more genuine. did anyone in this group had managed to arrange an extension in the past? is it a very fussy job?

Also, is it possible to get ceremeny arranged abroad in India? I'm not quite sure about the process and contacts. Please could you spare your thoughts?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Ceremony extension

Post by ohara » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:45 am

You can have the ceremony abroad, in India it would probably have to be at the British High Commission in New Delhi.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:56 am

Did you click on and read the links that vinny already provided when you asked the question on 15th January?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Srinibondugula

Post by Srinibondugula » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Ohara,

Do you know who should be contacted? It would be homeoffice, but is it via their email address nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.co.uk?

It would normally take ages if i drop an email for home office to respond, do you know if there is any other way? should i be contacting my locaal conunci within 21 days?

Sorry for too many questions. I'm starting to wonder to extend the ceremony date rather than conducting abroad. its much easier and hasslefree...

noajthan

Re: Ceremony extension

Post by noajthan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Srinibondugula wrote:Also, is it possible to get ceremeny arranged abroad in India? I'm not quite sure about the process and contacts. Please could you spare your thoughts?
There's another thread running with same question.

It appears this is only an option if (from memory) you were naturalised under Section 6(2) of BNA.
- is that the case for you?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Srinibondugula

Post by Srinibondugula » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks noajthan

Not sure about section 6(2) of BNA, but i'm naturalised as wife of a british citizen - 3 years as spouse of BC.

I'm trying to extend the ceremony beyond 90 days if it's easy and wondering if anyone had managed to get this in the past.

Srinibondugula

Post by Srinibondugula » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi Freinds,

Just enquired with my Local council about booking citizenship ceremony and I was told that Its not mandatory to book within first 21 days, although the letter from Home office did suggest that we would need to contact council within 21 days to book ceremony.

Letter from home office is dated 10th Jan, so I can call them again in the month of March to book ceremony towards the end of 90 day deadline. can someone confirm if this is true?

If we don't attend ceremony within 90 days, i suppose they will send the documentation back to home office, otherwise i think we are safe until 90th day.

Srinibondugula

Post by Srinibondugula » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:01 am

Hello Freinds,

Sorry for the trouble.

Can you advise if someone has managed to extend the ceremony beyond 90 days please? I've got my approval on Jan 10 and i would need to attend by April 10th.

I'm currently abroad and cannot return until May/June 2016. Do you know how can i contact homeoffice apart from the generic email address requesting for extension? Any other possible way you can suggest please?

Srinibondugula

Post by Srinibondugula » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Freinds, Any suggestions please?

tripping

Post by tripping » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:19 pm

Tough spot. Seems like whether you like it or not, theres bound to be hassles in extending it beyond the 6 month provision or having the ceremony conducted abroad - there's the question of whether your future intentions lie in the UK, and then there is the back and forth and time spent between you and the caseworker's part mulling over your extension explanation.

Why not email them now using both email addresses you quoted and see what HO comes back with. That way you know for sure, straight from HO themselves. The requirement links posted by Vinny explain what you need to do, with some restrictions.

As a very last resort, you may have to think about biting the bullet, book the ceremony in UK before the deadline, return to UK and attend the ceremony and back to India, just to make life easier for you in the future, and saving you the stress and hassle of extensions dealing with HO.

Good luck.

anuradhab
Newly Registered

Post by anuradhab » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 am

Srinibondugula wrote:Hi Freinds,

I'm trying to extend my citizenship ceremony beyond 90 days. I've had my approval letter dated Jan 10th, so techinically I would need to attend before April 10th. I'm currently abroad and will not be able to return to UK at least until end of May. I know the restrictions and the hassle that this could create if i take this beyind 90 days.

I'm trying to contact home office to arrange extensison, but i'm unsure who to contact(email address?) and the reason i should mention to make it more genuine. did anyone in this group had managed to arrange an extension in the past? is it a very fussy job?

Also, is it possible to get ceremeny arranged abroad in India? I'm not quite sure about the process and contacts. Please could you spare your thoughts?
I have a similar situation. Wondering if you were successful in extending the ceremony date?