ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelled to Spain without BRP - Unable to return back!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

namshi5
Newly Registered

Travelled to Spain without BRP - Unable to return back!!

Post by namshi5 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:32 am

I lost my BRP card while in the UK and had applied for a replacement BRP in Dec'15.

There were no updates on when the card was going to get delivered and I had to travel to Spain for a business meeting from UK.
i took the risk of travelling out of UK without the BRP thinking I would be able to convince airline staff with a photocopy of the card and some home office documents.

The airline called up the British Emabassy in Madrid and the person on the phone said I cannot travel without the actual BRP card and I need to apply for a BRP visa.

I have read on various forums on the delay to get a replacement visa so I have now decided to travel back to my home country (india) and apply frm there.

"Anyone out there who has had a similar case pls share the experience - not sure what documents I would when I apply for the Brp visa in India and how long it would take to process."

Overall a very disappointing affair and an expensive one never the less!!

Will keep posting on how it goes...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelled to Spain without BRP - Unable to return back!!

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:46 am

You can apply for a single entry brp in Spain at the embassy. It takes a couple of days to issue.

You should have postponed your travel. It is not the airlines fault, you don't have original proof of your right to reside in the UK. Photocopies are not accepted unfortunately.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

namshi5
Newly Registered

Post by namshi5 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:59 am

Yes I probably should have postponed the trip.

I have now applied for the BRP replacement visa from Bangalore, India and waiting.

There is no clear guidance on this particular visa anywere on UKBI website.

Can someone who has applied for BRP replacement visa shed some light on what docs were submitted please?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:35 am

namshi5 wrote:Yes I probably should have postponed the trip.

I have now applied for the BRP replacement visa from Bangalore, India and waiting.

There is no clear guidance on this particular visa anywere on UKBI website.

Can someone who has applied for BRP replacement visa shed some light on what docs were submitted please?
Why did you decide not to take CR001's advice, which was only likely to take two days to obtain a replacement in Madrid? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

namshi5
Newly Registered

Post by namshi5 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 am

Well 2 reasons:
1. If I am waiting for a visa I would rather wait from my home country
2. I was anyway planning to take a vacation

KayPee

Post by KayPee » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm

CR001 wrote:You can apply for a single entry brp in Spain at the embassy. It takes a couple of days to issue.

You should have postponed your travel. It is not the airlines fault, you don't have original proof of your right to reside in the UK. Photocopies are not accepted unfortunately.
Hi CR001, I'm in the similar situation :( Mine got lost right at the airport yesterday, when I was in the queue to get my boarding pass!!! This happened in India (Ahmedabad, Gujarat) though.

I have got few questions, if you could please help me with:
  • 1. Do you know if I'll be able to get the replacement BRP Visa in two days like you mentioned before?
    2. If yes, what do I have to do? I have a pic of the BRP card which I printed out. Can I go to the nearest embassy and get it done there itself or do I have to fill up a form and then do it?
    3. If yes, which form and what supporting docs I would need?
Sorry but UKBA has no clear indication of what form to fill out for 'single-entry replacement BRP visa', supporting docs required for it nor the processing time. The only thing I know is that I need to get this visa costing around £72.

Any help is deeply appreciated. TIA.

namshi5
Newly Registered

Post by namshi5 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi Tia, i applied for a replacement brp visa through VFSglobal blore and opted for priority service. i applied on Wednesday and got the passport with visa delivered on Monday.

The docs I supplied were
1.copy of my brp card
2. UK council tax
3. Employment letter
4. Letter head explaining what happened

I travelled back to UK today on the replacement visa.

Wish you good luck!

KayPee

Post by KayPee » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:30 am

namshi5 wrote:Hi Tia, i applied for a replacement brp visa through VFSglobal blore and opted for priority service. i applied on Wednesday and got the passport with visa delivered on Monday.

The docs I supplied were
1.copy of my brp card
2. UK council tax
3. Employment letter
4. Letter head explaining what happened

I travelled back to UK today on the replacement visa.

Wish you good luck!
Thank you SO much Namshi for your reply! Congratulations on your return to UK :)

I have pic of my lost BRP card I can print it out and attach that. I dont have council tax paper as I live in a rented accomodation. But I have a copy of P60 for 2014, bank statements, employment contract. I shall get the police report by tomorrow. Do you think these docs should be enough? Most importantly, exactly which visa form did you fill out? UKBA have given no indication, whatsoever, about it!

How did you approach the VFS B'lore? Did you just walk into VFS centre and applied/submitted the form and docs there itself? How much did you have to pay for priority/premium service, on top of visa fees? In Gujarat, we have a VFS centre in A'bad but I've been told that its just a 'courier service' they don't do much work. If I opt for the non-priority (due to financial pinch), what are the processing time? Apologies for the barage of questions, but I am sure you can gauge the stress, esp. when I have just recently lost one of my parent.

Thank you once again, Namshi. Kunal.