ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel t India on Britis Passport & Surrender of India passp

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

varunchadha2583
United Kingdom

Travel t India on Britis Passport & Surrender of India passp

Post by varunchadha2583 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi All,

My Son has been registered as British citizen as I got my ILR. Now I will be applying for his British passport.

My query is that once he gets his British passport and if I get an e-visa for him, can he travel before the Indian passport is surrendered?

problem is I might not have sufficient time to travel to vfs to surrender his passport before his travel.

Thanks in anticipation.

vishpb35

Re: Travel t India on Britis Passport & Surrender of India p

Post by vishpb35 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Yes he can travel on evisa with british passport.

you can surrender indian passport within 3 years from your date of ceremony without incurring any penalty.
(you cannot travel using indian passport after 90 days of ceremony)
As your son is travelling to india on e-visa with british passport, then he should be fine.

Upon his return to uk, you can surrender his indian passport at VFS, and it will arrive within a week.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:45 am

varunchadha2583 wrote:My query is that once he gets his British passport and if I get an e-visa for him, can he travel before the Indian passport is surrendered?
That is absolutely fine because he is not traveling on an Indian passport. He would have been penalised were he to travel on his Indian passport after 90 days of acquiring British citizenship.

As vishbp35 has pointed out, the Indian passport needs to be surrendered within three years of acquiring British (or any other) citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

varunchadha2583
United Kingdom

Post by varunchadha2583 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks a lot both.

hrm12
Newly Registered

Re: Travel t India on Britis Passport & Surrender of India passp

Post by hrm12 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi could someone please urgently help me on this..my son got british passport last year but we havent surrendered his indian passport yet. At the moment if we apply evisa without surrendering his indian passport is that ok? I am hoping to surrender the indian passport and apply for OCI after our travel?

varunchadha2583
United Kingdom

Re: Travel t India on Britis Passport & Surrender of India passp

Post by varunchadha2583 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:39 am

hrm12 that should be fine. I did the same for my son i.e. travelled to India with eVisa without submitting Indian passport and then submitted passport and got OCI after coming back from India. No problems faced.