ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Important Announcements today

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

John
United Kingdom

Important Announcements today

Post by John » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:53 pm

Lots of announcements have been made today. Already this Board has a very long topic about HSMP and the new Tier 1 points. So please do not post anything here about those aspects.

But as well as that there are important implication for other types of visas. Click here to read about the new plans concerning family settlement visas, and new English language requirements.

Even more detail in Marriage to partners from overseas consultation ...... and .......Marriage visas: pre-entry English language requirement for spouses.
John

thesaint

Post by thesaint » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:12 pm

I just didn’t understand the paragraph about people with an unspent conviction will normally be refused nationality
I don’t think it is a new rule isnt? It’s the same extend of a good character

I thought the new rules will be after lord Goldsmith reveals his privews in march but who knows it might be another changes then.
the quistion is if the government will take this reviws when will it be a law?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:32 am

thesaint wrote:I just didn’t understand the paragraph about people with an unspent conviction will normally be refused nationality
I don’t think it is a new rule isnt? It’s the same extend of a good character
It's a change in policy on "good character". It does not require new legislation.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:58 am

Looking at the existing guidance to BIA staff dealing with Citizenship applications, they not only pick up on convictions that are spent or unspent, but have invented a "clear" term.

I have not got the details in front of me but, for example, someone who is fined in Court, that will not become spent for 5 years, However after say 2 years BIA consider it clear, and accordingly might be prepared to allow the application.

The provisions announced yesterday mean that the "clear" provisions disappear. So someone fined will not be allowed Citizenship for the full 5 years, while their conviction is unspent.
John

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:02 am

John wrote:Looking at the existing guidance to BIA staff dealing with Citizenship applications, they not only pick up on convictions that are spent or unspent, but have invented a "clear" term.

I have not got the details in front of me but, for example, someone who is fined in Court, that will not become spent for 5 years, However after say 2 years BIA consider it clear, and accordingly might be prepared to allow the application.

The provisions announced yesterday mean that the "clear" provisions disappear. So someone fined will not be allowed Citizenship for the full 5 years, while their conviction is unspent.
what about those people who got fined for not paying their tube fares, where does that fit in???

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:01 am

I do not live in London so excuse my ignorance about non-payment of fares on the tube. However if the person ended up in Court, and gets fined, that conviction will not be spent for 5 years.

However is that what happens? Are they "just" issued with a penalty fare notice? If so I do not think that is a fine as such, so probably can be ignored.
John

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:27 am

John wrote:I do not live in London so excuse my ignorance about non-payment of fares on the tube. However if the person ended up in Court, and gets fined, that conviction will not be spent for 5 years.

However is that what happens? Are they "just" issued with a penalty fare notice? If so I do not think that is a fine as such, so probably can be ignored.
I dont know either, at one point I think it was more administrative but now I think it has become more criminal like based on the ads I have seen so ...

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Pre-entering language requirements for spouses wouldn't be something unique in Europe, the Netherlands already runs similar requirements.

transpondia

Post by transpondia » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:07 pm

John, it's worth adding here that Lord Goldsmith's Citizenship Review will be laid before the govt in March. This is the vehicle that will (or may) introduce the "earned citizenship" requirement...