ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Today:changes to the system managing highly-skilled migrants

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Hiro wrote:
The new system also means that immigration consultants have now lost half their business and revenue streams...
Hehehe! It is possible that this will be the case, though obviously we will still assist with in country applications, and judging by the questiosn so far we will still be needed to advise applicants from overseas.

I actually worry that the fact that applications are from overseas means that more people will go to potentially dodgy and unregulated agents overseas, where they have redress if it goes wrong. But that is something the OISC have already brought up with BIA, and BIA seem not to care.

I look forward to catching up with this thread later tonight.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:12 pm

Hello members,
It also says HSMP transitional arrangements will continue when the highly skilled: General sub category replaces HSMP. So its a good news for people who shall be extending their FLR HSMP after april 2008.

jd007
Newly Registered

Post by jd007 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:39 pm

With regrads to language requirement,seems C1 is eq to 6.5/7.0.

The chart below illustrates how the IELTS band scores map onto the Common European Framework (CEF) levels.

CEF Level IELTS approximate band score
C2 7.5+
C1 6.5/7.0
B2 5.0/5.5/6.0
B1 3.5/4.0/4.5
A2 3.0

Source:http://www.britishcouncil.org/ielts-coe_flier.pdf

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Hello der,
I would be applying for my FLR HSMP next year. Any idea from reading that paper will I have to give IELTS exam or my University english language certificate would do.
Any comments welcome

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:19 pm

I think the main difference is now you hav 3+2 years instead of 2+3 years..
Otherwise the points awarded for various categories remain same more or less

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Just looking at the points for new applicants. It seems the applicant has to be very well qualified, earning a handsome income and young as well.
Would have to see how many apply for new hsmp.

unileeds

Post by unileeds » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:33 pm

This is a brilliant thread!!! I guess i have a very high interest in this cause I just got my HSMP approval today. Thanks everyone for your support and help. I guess the joy and happiness is quadrupled by the fact that I did it own my own with help from people who had their heart in helping others. Great job!!
Which brings me to my second thought!!! Now what... ??? I wont be applying for my FLR till the end of Jan 08. When I apply do you think I will get a 3+2 or 2+3!!??? I know no one has the answer but i'd like speculation and some debate on this... its brilliant how so many different minds bring out so many different perspectives!!!

Cheers

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:33 pm

Hmmm.There are no longer Countery "bands"..so for some one in India ,he has to earn arund 30-35 lacs to qualify...I dont think any one except CEO (or a very high position) can earn 35 lacs per annum...
It was around 6 lacs (8000 GBP) last time,but has jumped to 35000-40000GBP this time(new rules)

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 pm

Sorry..Jumped the gun ..on page 10 (sub note 5 ),it mentions abt. differnet earning level for diff. countries

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Hmm, first of all i think someone who is that young, good qualified and earns 30 lacs in developing world why the hell would he come here, well there will surely be someone who would like to try his luck here as well. I gather not many from developed world applies for hsmp as compared with developing countries.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:44 pm

Allright mate, have to look at page 10 and then speak up,
sorry abt my last post

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:05 pm

herts wrote:Hmm, first of all i think someone who is that young, good qualified and earns 30 lacs in developing world why the hell would he come here, well there will surely be someone who would like to try his luck here as well. I gather not many from developed world applies for hsmp as compared with developing countries.
The excitement is leading to some amusing comments.. :lol:

visa_help
Newly Registered

IGS

Post by visa_help » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:56 pm

In the Statement of Intent,

" Graduates with valid leave under IGS or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering
Graduates Scheme, (SEGS) when Post Study Work is implemented will be able to complete
that leave and may apply for a one-off extension in Post Study Work up to a total
of 2 years of IGS/SEGS and Post Study Work leave combined. "

Is that mean they are going to grant IGS for two years? Currently i am in IGS visa, will this mean i will get a chance to extend for one more year?

Thanks

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:45 pm

Yes, it does.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Hummer

Can anyone help me to get the SOI

Post by Hummer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:09 am

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me to get the SOI ( link)?

Regards,

pankaj80
Newly Registered

Queries

Post by pankaj80 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:26 am

Hi all,

I am from India i qualify for hsmp ( using existing points system),
I have all the documents ready with me and i was planning to file for hsmp in sec week of december 07
For English language Requirement - I have got the Letter from university

I will highly appritiate if can get help on these queries
1. Will the letter from university for English language be sufficient or should i go for ILETS( or equivalent)
2. processing of my application will be done on current rules ( as new rules will come into play later in March of 2008) i.e hsmp approval followed by EC
3. should i go for hsmp asap or wait for new rules to come into play?
4. If i go for hsmp in dec 07, do i need to furnish any new document or the ones in accordance to current rules suffice?

Thanks in advance...

raviktiwari
Newly Registered

Statement of Intent...

Post by raviktiwari » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:18 am

Hi Hummer,

You can get the link on the first page of this thread. However, for your reference I am putting it here again, which I may delete in next 2-3 days to avoid duplication of record in the forum.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/a ... intent.pdf

Thanks and Regards,
"Ravi K. Tiwari"

Hummer

Thank you

Post by Hummer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:41 am

Thank you raviktiwari for the link. Appreciate it.

MrBaboo

Re: Queries

Post by MrBaboo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:42 am

pankaj80 wrote: I will highly appritiate if can get help on these queries
1. Will the letter from university for English language be sufficient or should i go for ILETS( or equivalent)
2. processing of my application will be done on current rules ( as new rules will come into play later in March of 2008) i.e hsmp approval followed by EC
3. should i go for hsmp asap or wait for new rules to come into play?
4. If i go for hsmp in dec 07, do i need to furnish any new document or the ones in accordance to current rules suffice?
Firstly let me say that yesterday's announcement should not change in any real way any current or future HSMP application up until Tier 1 is implemented *provided* that your country is not in the trial group (and even then it should only be for new applicants). It looks like India is in the trial group and so the new rules will probably come into force by very early next year (since they are being trialled for 3 months and the go live date is 4 March 2008). Whether eveyone in the trial counties will be subject to the new rules is not known.

To your specific queries:
1. I think it depends on the wording of your letter. If your letter follows the format recommended by others in the forum then you should be OK. I notice there is no mention of letters from universities in the statement of intent for tier 1 so if you delayed the letter might be useless. Confirmation by NARIC now seems to be taking the place of these letters in the new system. There is a question mark over equivalence of testing standards at the moment so exactly which test you go for is not fully known.

2. Yes, should be provided the trial program has not already started in India by the time you apply.

3. The criteria seem roughly equivalent so the likelihood is you have as much chance under the old or new systems. However, if you think English testing will be a problem for you then you might want to apply under the old system. Also bear in mind you currently need to pay HSMP+EC application costs vs just Tier 1 application costs. What the difference in costs will be is not yet known but presumably there will be some savings. Also note that under the new system you must proof of funds for starting up your life in the UK - these are now quite clearly spelled out vs the vagueness of current EC requirements.

4. You shouldn't need to furnish any new documents unless the trial program has started and you are processed under it. I'm sure they will have transitional arrangements for those with HSMP approval but seeking EC during the switchover so I doubt there will be any nasty surprises along the way. I could be wrong, however...

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:57 am

I think the HSMP "basic Rules" are same with respect to points etc...Just old wine in "new" bottle....Yes, there are now issues about "English level requirement" and funds to show..But basically more or less rules remain same..

But i am intrested to know that for FLR, will i get 2 years extension or 3 years?( I have 2 years HSMP initially ,so ideally it shd. be 3 years FLR)

Ashish

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 am

Wonder how they came up with those to trial groups.
I speculate USA because those applications tend to be clean, and probably the high end of the ideal submissions. that is not to say, they are the best applicants.
The India ones because they get a lot of applications from there and they must figure out the best way to handle them so more troublesome. That is not to say they are bad applications, just more complicated for them to assess.

MyHSMPApplication

Post by MyHSMPApplication » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:36 am

Hi,
I could identify the following important points,

Para 2 Page 4 :
The statement reflects our current thinking which could change before the tier begins to be implemented in the first quarter of 2008, or at any point afterwards

This means that by no means this is the final version. We can expect a changed version fo this proposal any time.

Para 14 Page 6
There will be a single application process, whether in or outside the UK.
This I guess means they are removing the two stage application process.

Para 16 Page 6.
Appeal rights will be abolished in all Highly Skilled sub-categories, except where the appleal is brought on Human Rights or Race Discrimination grounds. Applicants will be able to seek one Administrative Review per application if they feel an error has been made in their decission
What is an Administrative Review?

Para 17 Page 6.
There will be no Administrative Review for in-country appllicants who will keep any existing rights of appeal though, in accordance with section 19 of the UK Borders Act, whey will not generally be able to submit new evidence in their appeals
What is the difference in appeal for in-country and out of country applicants?

Para 20 Page 7.
Successful applicants entering the UK will be issued with biometric visas
What is the advantage of this?

Annex A Page 8
Enterpreneurs
Do they include Self - Employed HSMP visa holders? If yes, they does this mean that any self employed HSMP visa holder should atleast have an annual turn over of over 200000 GBP to qualify for extension?

Annex C Pag 14.
The migrants will have to demonstrate earnings in the UK since their arrival in order to be awarded points for UK Experience
Does this mean for extension a HSMP visa holder should be in contineous employemnt since his entry in the UK?

Cheers
PG

MrBaboo

Post by MrBaboo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:06 am

MyHSMPApplication wrote:Hi,

Annex C Pag 14.
The migrants will have to demonstrate earnings in the UK since their arrival in order to be awarded points for UK Experience
Does this mean for extension a HSMP visa holder should be in contineous employemnt since his entry in the UK?
No, I think it only means to get the 5 points for UK experience they need to show salary in the UK. Whether this is continuous or not is ambiguous from the quoted sentence however I doubt they require that especially since:
The criteria specific to this sub-category will be those
that have been in force since 5 December 2006 for
the Highly Skilled Migrant ProgrammeHave passed a test in English equivalent to level

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:09 am

MrBaboo wrote:
MyHSMPApplication wrote:Hi,

Annex C Pag 14.
No, I think it only means to get the 5 points for UK experience they need to show salary in the UK. Whether this is continuous or not is ambiguous from the quoted sentence however I doubt they require that especially since:
The criteria specific to this sub-category will be those
that have been in force since 5 December 2006 for
the Highly Skilled Migrant ProgrammeHave passed a test in English equivalent to level
No that is the flexibility that hsmp offers, it does not have to be continous just a good yearly income so if you make loads of money in 3 months but for 3 months that is a good annual salary.
thus to get the 5pts you have to make the minimum amt they start giving you ponts for based on income salary

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:15 am

Other thing to notice is that if you want to get the flexibility afforded having a ltd, you should incorporate within3 months. They probably noticed people who weren't employed were runing to get incorporated just before submitting their applications to get under the transistional rules and to get the benefit of the doubt that they were economical active so that has been scrutinized.