ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization refused due to no fault of my own

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kasiaiscool
Newly Registered

Naturalization refused due to no fault of my own

Post by kasiaiscool » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here! And have just applied for reconsideration for my naturalization (Via Form T) last week and curious how long I should wait hear anything from them...

Bit of background info - I applied via Form T in April 2015 - I was born in London and have lived here ever since (27years) I'm of Polish nationality and would have applied sooner but financial constraints etc etc

Fee's and Biometric test done - I had not heard anything for a while - 6 months had almost lapsed and I was beginning to get worried. I live my elderly mother who has mild mental health issues (has had to been hospitalized a number of times) and as I work full-time 9-6pm I am not first to receive post.

6th December 2015 my mother hands me my post out of her handbag she had been collecting! And simply forgot that it was there...lo and behold a letter from the Home Office dated 10th November was there requesting additional info with a time limit for the 1st December for submition.

Well - that's shit. Simple to say I was not impressed. I spoke with the Home Office immediately and they informed me to provide all documentation asap if a rejection had not been received. I had and on the 9th December it was received by the Home Office according to Post Office tracking. 15th December a rejection letter was sent out because "it appears as though we have not received requested information"

I have applied using the NR form, submitted a medical letter from my mothers doctor stating her mental health condition and that it often makes her forgetful, along with all the documents they returned.

I am curious how long it will take them to acknowledge my application and whether it will stand against their decision? I am utterly mortified by my mothers actions and can not afford to go through the entire process again! My elder brother applied for naturalization 4 years ago and was approved, therefore it could be possible for me too in theory.. :( family eh!

Anyone else have similar experience etc?

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Re: Naturalization refused due to no fault of my own

Post by zahmed05 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Really sad to hear that.

There is no timeline on reconsideration and HO can take as much time as they like to decide the case.

if you meet all the criteria then i don't see any reason why you wouldn't get it but cannot say anything without the details.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:47 pm

kasiaiscool wrote:
I am curious how long it will take them to acknowledge my application and whether it will stand against their decision? I am utterly mortified by my mothers actions and can not afford to go through the entire process again! My elder brother applied for naturalization 4 years ago and was approved, therefore it could be possible for me too in theory.. :( family eh!

Anyone else have similar experience etc?

Most unfortunate but be aware it will take a long time & there is no appeal right.
Reconsideration is generally to address HO faults or procedural errors.

HO will have internal guidelines on matters such as the response times to gather more information from applicants.

If applicants don't respond in time it may not be enough to get a favourable response to a reconsideration;
HO can simply say they followed their procedures and timelines.

Good luck anyway.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ali_hsn

Post by ali_hsn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:47 am

Hi kasiaiscool,

Sorry to hear about your situation - I am in a similar boat (kind-of).

I believe you should be OK as long as you can give them a solid reason for not responding in time, which in your case is true.

As mentioned zahmed05, there are no timelines for reconsideration - I have only come across two successful cases where it took 4 months and 8 months respectively. I applied for reconsideration end of July 2015 and still waiting for a decision.

Best of Luck!
all is well that ends well

kasiaiscool
Newly Registered

Post by kasiaiscool » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:40 am

Oh dear, 4 and 8 months... and you have been waiting since July 2015!

It's atrocious how they keep people in the dark, waiting.

Has the £80 fee been deducted from your account? Or have you received acknowledgment?

I was planning a trip to the States (to see my brother) at Christmas which had to be cancelled due to no visa in my Polish passport - was hopeful that my British passport would have been sorted by then...guess I will put the Spring trip on hold too that I am planning! :/

ali_hsn

Post by ali_hsn » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:05 am

Hi,

I have been waiting since Feb 2015 - Original application date :(

Anyways to answer your query - Yes £80 has been deducted from my account, that is only acknowledgement you'll ever get from the Home Office for your reconsideration.

I'll put the travel plans on hold until this is resolved.

Regards
all is well that ends well

cocosh1ne
Newly Registered

Post by cocosh1ne » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:48 pm

My British Citizenship has been refused also because apparently the Home Office have sent me a letter asking for more documents but I have not received the letter at all which I believe is due to the post office not doing there job properly (we have been getting letters that doesn't belong to us) so I am guessing this letter is in someone else's possession or in their bin!

I had to send a reconsideration form along with all the documents they have requested. My problem is that I am currently applying to university and I have been successful in getting an interview and university requires identification for the interview which I don't have as the Home Office have them. I have no idea what I am going to do. We have contacted the Home Office and they simply said that my reconsideration application will be denied if I ask for my documents back! I am so upset as I definitely want to go to uni this year. :(

Has anyone know or have had their reconsideration application approved and if so how long did it take?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:15 pm

cocosh1ne wrote:We have contacted the Home Office and they simply said that my reconsideration application will be denied if I ask for my documents back!
Did they tell you this on the phone? They are notorious for giving incorrect information.

You can formally request your documents back from the Home Office: https://www.gov.uk/visa-documents-returned

Make sure that at least 10 working days has elapsed since you submitted the reconsideration request, and when you complete the form make sure you select that you do not wish to withdraw your application.

I made an application on EEA(PR) form in December, needed my passport back last week so I requested it with the form and it arrived within 3 working days.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:29 pm

ohara wrote:
cocosh1ne wrote:We have contacted the Home Office and they simply said that my reconsideration application will be denied if I ask for my documents back!
Did they tell you this on the phone? They are notorious for giving incorrect information.

You can formally request your documents back from the Home Office: https://www.gov.uk/visa-documents-returned

Make sure that at least 10 working days has elapsed since you submitted the reconsideration request, and when you complete the form make sure you select that you do not wish to withdraw your application.

I made an application on EEA(PR) form in December, needed my passport back last week so I requested it with the form and it arrived within 3 working days.
I don't think that works for citizenship applications or reconsideration. I might be wrong though.

kasiaiscool
Newly Registered

Post by kasiaiscool » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:42 am

Still not had the monies for my reconsideration withdrawn from my account. In the meantime, documents I posted out after the deadline (when I found out that I had received the letter and instantly obtained additional info and posted off as recommended by the HO telephone call center) have been posted back to me. Three days later an £80 cheque was sent back to me for the Citizenship ceremony (am yet still to bank it..not sure if I should or shouldn't?) It's week 3 now - am hoping that by mid-February the monies will be withdrawn. Am aware I won't receive any confirmation which sucks.

How's everyone reconsideration going? Has anyone ever been granted it? Am curious to call the center but they seem to be a generic call center that really has no idea....Is it possible to escalate things with a solicitor? I applied without one and am wondering whether because of this they are taking their sweet sweet time with things?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 am

ouflak1 wrote:I don't think that works for citizenship applications or reconsideration. I might be wrong though.
In the drop down box where you select your type of application, naturalisation is there, and when you select that it says "you should use this if you have applied with one of the following forms..." it does include form NR.

cocosh1ne
Newly Registered

Post by cocosh1ne » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:52 pm

ali_hsn wrote:Hi,

I have been waiting since Feb 2015 - Original application date :(

Anyways to answer your query - Yes £80 has been deducted from my account, that is only acknowledgement you'll ever get from the Home Office for your reconsideration.

I'll put the travel plans on hold until this is resolved.

Regards
When did they took the £80 out of your account?
They have taken the money out of my account last week and I am guessing that they are considering my application but I am wondering how long will it take for them to send my documents back. Have you got your back yet or do I have to ask for it back?

kasiaiscool
Newly Registered

Post by kasiaiscool » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:56 pm

They've taken my monies too - Last Friday - Took just under 4 weeks. Let the wait begin...I'm not overjoyed by lack of communication they have with applicants. It's in-humane to put it frankly.