ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent citizenship eligibility.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

thisam
Newly Registered

Dependent citizenship eligibility.

Post by thisam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 am

Hello forum,

Please could you make this clear to me.

I got ILR in 2015 on long residency basis and completing qualifying 1 year in February 2016.
I am planning to apply for the citizenship in February...say 20th February 2016.
I got a UK degree.

1.Is there any new rule I need to consider? -

2.My dependent is on ILR depended since March 2015. and she's been in UK since Feb 2013 which means she can complete 3 years of residnecy in UK by the time I apply for citizenship.
Can she apply for citizenship as soon as I get citizenship?. Any rule rule related to that?

I would really appreciate all comments and thank you in advance.
Regards

vinny

Re: Dependent citizenship eligibility.

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:03 am

She also requires ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thisam
Newly Registered

Post by thisam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi Vinny,

Thank you.

What is the three year rule?
So she has to spend 5 years as ILR dependent?

Please advise.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:14 pm

thisam wrote:Hi Vinny,

Thank you.

Please advise.
In order to apply for citizenship, one must hold ILR. In order to acquire ILR, your partner will need to be your dependent for 5 years after which time, they must apply for ILR before they apply to naturalise.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:30 pm

The three years rule is applicable for the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen. Unfortunately, it's also subject to
3 wrote:(c) that on the date of the application he was not subject under the immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which he might remain in the United Kingdom; and
There was a loophole years ago. But it's now closed.

It was also more advantageous in the past, when the requirement for ILR was only one or two years. However, at least now, they don't have to spend a minimum year on ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

mjnoor
Newly Registered

Post by mjnoor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:48 pm

can some help me to get the proper answer plz?

I am a British citizen and want to apply for my wife and son’s naturalisation but not sure to apply or not, had conversation with Home office and they suggested me to go for it and other side local solicitors asking me to do not apply. Please advice me what to do?

I got the British citizenship in March 2015, and my wife and son came into this country on 06th October 2010 as dependent of Tier 1 General and in January 2014 they changed their status from Dependent of Tier 1 general to Dependent of Settled person (FLR(M). Had 2 years visa expiring on 31st January 2016. Last week on 23rd January 2016 They got the Indefinite Leave via Set (M). So my question is that can they apply for naturalisation right now because they are already in the country more than 5 years OR they have to complete the 12 months period to eligible for Naturalisation.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:08 pm

This query should ideally have been a separate thread.

Your wife can apply for naturalisation immediately after getting ILR as she is married to a British citizen.

Your son should be able to register as a British citizen along with your wife's naturalisation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

thisam
Newly Registered

Post by thisam » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:46 pm

vinny wrote:The three years rule is applicable for the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen. Unfortunately, it's also subject to
3 wrote:(c) that on the date of the application he was not subject under the immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which he might remain in the United Kingdom; and
There was a loophole years ago. But it's now closed.

It was also more advantageous in the past, when the requirement for ILR was only one or two years. However, at least now, they don't have to spend a minimum year on ILR.
Thank you Vinny. It looks she has to spend 4 more years to get Citizenship.

thisam
Newly Registered

Post by thisam » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:54 pm

physicskate wrote:
thisam wrote:Hi Vinny,

Thank you.

Please advise.
In order to apply for citizenship, one must hold ILR. In order to acquire ILR, your partner will need to be your dependent for 5 years after which time, they must apply for ILR before they apply to naturalise.

Thank you Physicskate,
does she have to be ILR dependent for 5 years or dependent in any category? any luck :)
Thank you

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:50 pm

ILR dependent for 5 years on FLR(M), as you acquired ILR through long residence. She could apply for long residency in her own right if she reaches 10 years.

thisam
Newly Registered

FLR (M) Early application?

Post by thisam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 am

Dear Members,

My spouse had her FLR(M) approved on 11/03/2015 and expires on 24/08/2017.

1. Can she apply for the extension early (than 28days)?
2. If yes, then does she have apply for another extension to complete 5 years?

I would much appreciate your advice on this.
Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 am

1. Yes.
2. Probably.

thisam
Newly Registered

Top FLR (M) Early application?

Post by thisam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi Vinny,

Please can you give me more details if you could?
How early she can apply? Is there any specific rule that I can refer with the application? I am hoping to attend a one day service.

Thank you in advance
vinny wrote:1. Yes.
2. Probably.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 am

She can apply at any time BUT if she applies too early, she will then require an additional extension to cover the shortfall for ILR (i.e. 3 x FLR(M) instead of 2).

She should apply no sooner than within 28 days before she reaches 2.5 years on FLR(M). Her new visa will be valid from the date of approval and NOT tagged onto the end of when her current visa expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

thisam
Newly Registered

FLR (M) Extend spouse VISA

Post by thisam » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:30 am

Hello,

I cannot understand why the Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE is asking employer letter to confirm the employment and income?
Please can someone explain?

If you provide payslips and bank statements then why an employer letter?

Many thanks for advise.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: FLR (M) Extend spouse VISA

Post by physicskate » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:46 am

The employment is required to be ongoing (will continue in the future). Employment letter confirms this and should also be an extra proof that you do earn what you way you do.