ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

12 months in NY

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DaisyChloe

12 months in NY

Post by DaisyChloe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Hello

I am currently waiting to hear back from HO about my permanent residence application. I am planning to go to do work placement and part time studying for 12 months in New York next year and I was wondering, when I return after those 12 months back to London, the fact that I will be out of UK for 12 months would affect my application for naturalisation if HO replies to me that I have been successful in my permanent residence application?

I am EU citizen. I know that there is a time limit how long you can reside abroad to be still eligible for either naturalisation and permanent residence I do not remember exactly how many months or years.

noajthan

Re: 12 months in NY

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:44 pm

DaisyChloe wrote:Hello

I am currently waiting to hear back from HO about my permanent residence application. I am planning to go to do work placement and part time studying for 12 months in New York next year and I was wondering, when I return after those 12 months back to London, the fact that I will be out of UK for 12 months would affect my application for naturalisation if HO replies to me that I have been successful in my permanent residence application?

I am EU citizen. I know that there is a time limit how long you can reside abroad to be still eligible for either naturalisation and permanent residence I do not remember exactly how many months or years.
You'll have a blast in NY - give my regards to Broadway.
But 12 months out will kill your ambitions for citizenship (for a while).

if you've not taken the drastic step of marrying a BC you need to hold PR for 12 months &, in the last 12 months before applying for the privilege of citizenship, the absence limit is 90 days; (it's 450 days overall in 5 years).

There is some discretion that can be applied here - but not that much!

Also make sure you can prove you were physically present in UK 5 years (to the day) before date of your naturalisation application.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Re: 12 months in NY

Post by noajthan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:57 pm

See relevant HO guide, Section 5 (page 7+):
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2015.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.