ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for kids British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tier 1 applicant
Newly Registered

Applying for kids British passport

Post by Tier 1 applicant » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi

I got my ILR in Nov 2015 via Tier 1 General Route. I have 4 kids of which 2 are born in India and 2 born in uk. I got ILR with my wife and 2 kids (Indian born) at the same time. Out of 2 kids born in uk one is 3 year old and last one is born in Dec 15 after our ILR. I want to apply for kids British passport. My question is :

1. My 3 year old daughter(uk born) is having Indian passport & her biometric card was valid till Nov 2015. What is the process for her to get British passport.
2. Child born in Dec 15 after our ILR what is the process for passport.
3. My older children's both got ILR with us one is 15 years &
Other 13 years old can they as well apply for British passport now or they have to wait for 1 year like adults. And what is their process. And how much is fees.
4. I would also like to inform that during my ILR same day appointment I was been questioned for my taxes. Because I was part employed & part self employed in initial application, extension, and ILR. I amended my tax returns for those years but I didn't receive confirmation & SA 100 from HMRC but I gave them the accountants submitted ammended returns copy and caseworker got convince & issued ILR. But my amended returns are still in process with HMRC and no correspondence yet on it.

Based on my situation can I go ahead with kids British passport application and hope tax issues should not be a problem.

Please forum experts your advice will be appreciated.??

Regards
Tier 1 Applicant

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for kids British passport

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:46 pm

1. Only British Citizens can apply for a passport. Your daughter is not yet British. You need to register her as British on form MN1 under section 1(3) of the nationality act. Current cost is £749 and fee going up in April. Once you receive the registration certificate, only then can you apply for a passport.

2. Child born IN the UK in December 2015 AFTER you got ILR is automatically British. You can apply directly for a passport.

3. The children born abroad will only qualify for citizenship when one or both of the parents either apply or area already British. They will also have to be registered on form MN1 if under 18 and it will be under section 3(1) of the nationality act.

4. Not an issue for UK born children.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Re: Applying for kids British passport

Post by noajthan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Tier 1 applicant wrote:Hi

I got my ILR in Nov 2015 via Tier 1 General Route. I have 4 kids of which 2 are born in India and 2 born in uk. I got ILR with my wife and 2 kids (Indian born) at the same time. Out of 2 kids born in uk one is 3 year old and last one is born in Dec 15 after our ILR. I want to apply for kids British passport. My question is :

Based on my situation can I go ahead with kids British passport application and hope tax issues should not be a problem.

Please forum experts your advice will be appreciated.??

Regards
Tier 1 Applicant
1) Apply to register this child as citizen under section 1(3) of BNA - use form MN1

Passport application is a subsequent step (after successful registration).

2) Apply directly for this child's first British passport

3) Minors (as born abroad in these circumstances) will need to apply to register at Home Secretary's discretion under section 3(1) of BNA; form MN1.

Do this at under age 18.
They just need ILR but note that at least one parent should be naturalising at same time.

Passport application is a subsequent step (after successful registration).

You can google for latest 'UK registration fees' (& payment form).

4) Minors aged over 10 years are subject to the same type of 'good character' test for registration as adults would be for naturalisation.

However, minors are assessed in their own right.
Minors are not held responsible for their parents' tax or other activities.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.