ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hsr1972

English Language Requirement for Naturalisation

Post by hsr1972 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi guys,

I have a query with regarding English language Requirement for Naturalisation, My Spouse has proved her English language requirement by providing ESOL Skills for Life awarded by Cambridge English Assessment certificate for ILR in December 2014.

Can she provide ESOL Certificate for Naturalisation application or she needs to take IELTS again , It would be much appreciated if you can reply back to me.

cheers
hsr_72

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: English Language Requirement for Naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Since 12 November 2015, ESOL is no longer accepted by HO.

See FAQs English Language Requirement for Citizenship (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:07 pm

As Char as pointed out, you cannot use the ESOL again as of November 2015.

However, what you can do is tick the box that says "English was satisfied for ILR after 28 October 2013" on the application form. What you are relying on is the fact that English was already satisfied for a previous application (ILR) applied after 28 October 2013. Since you state ILR was applied in December 2014, your spouse would meet this requirement.

Do not submit any English certificates. All that is needed is ticking the relevant tick box on the application form. Remember, you are not demonstrating the English again, but stating that English was already satified for ILR after 28 October 2013, a provision the current Naturalisation form allows for.

You will need to submit the LIUK again but do not submit the ESOL.

Try to apply before April if you can as the proposed fees are increasing from £1005 to £1236.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:10 pm

In addition to WR1's advice, you might just get her to do another test. Some users have reported that they have been asked by HO (in writing) to provide proof of English test certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:38 pm

CR001 wrote:In addition to WR1's advice, you might just get her to do another test. Some users have reported that they have been asked by HO (in writing) to provide proof of English test certificate.
What are the HO intentions in asking for this. Do they just require confirmation if English was used in ILR (I would assume HO should already have records of this).

The current Naturalisation forms allows for the provison of meeting the English by demonstrating it was met for ILR (which was valid at the time).

The AN Guide states:
Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK
From 12th November 2015, we will only accept English language qualifications from
the Home Office approved list of acceptable qualifications.
You will need to provide both:
•Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor; and either
•a Home Office approved qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, from the Secure English Language Test list.
You should ensure that you state the test number at section 1.23 of the form);
OR
•confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013, in order to obtain settlement

OR
•Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1.A print out from the points based calculator, with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
2.An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree)
3.A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming your qualification is comparable to a UK degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was taught in English.
4.An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country (except Canada), plus and original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming that the equivalent level of your degree
and the Booklet AN on page 11 states:
.....if you met the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK when you applied for settlement by having a B1 level test you do not have to demonstrate it again. (People who applied for settlement on or after 28 October 2013 needed to have had a B1 level qualification.)...
I have yet to see a case that there is someone has relied on English already met for ILR and had a refusal.

I am in the same boat as my spouse also used ESOL to satisfy ILR in May 2015. I will write directly to the Home Office and get confirmation that refusal will not be the case as there seems to be some confusion surrounding this issue.
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

WR1

Post by WR1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

This provides some more info for those in the same situation:

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

The key point to note on the bottom of the page is:
It doesn’t matter if the B1 level test you took isn’t on the list of recognised tests now. You don’t need to take another test.

hsr1972

Post by hsr1972 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks WR1 and CR for your responses. I agree with WR1 , Even I read the Guide and also in the AN Form we have a option to tick English has proved after 28th Oct 2013. So we don't need to demonstrate to English again in naturalisation this would make sense.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 pm

@lucky7, to avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (in the most) appropriate forum:
indefinite-leave-to-remain/english-lang ... 02904.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.