ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of British Citizenship by Descent - Paperwork

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JacqHugh
Newly Registered

Registration of British Citizenship by Descent - Paperwork

Post by JacqHugh » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:00 am

Hi All

I am just completing my paperwork for registration of British Citizenship by Descent - Born to a British Mother before 1 January 1983.

I am Australian and have only ever lived in Australia. I have a permanent job with a State Government Department and I just want to apply for a British passport to be able to take my long service leave, stay with UK family and if I like it, maybe look for work. Should I include an Australian Federal Police check with my application? I have a clean criminal record but given that UK checks cannot be done as I have never lived there, I'm not sure whether it needs to be included.

Thank you

Jacqui

secret.simon

Re: Registration of British Citizenship by Descent - Paperw

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:29 am

All you need is proof that she is your mother and that she is a British citizen otherwise than by descent (by either being born in the UK or by being naturalised/registered in the UK).

The first can be proven by your birth certificate.

The second one is trickier. Do you have proof that your mother was herself born in the UK? If she was born outside the UK herself, there is a very good chance that she can not pass on her British citizenship to her children.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JacqHugh
Newly Registered

Post by JacqHugh » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 am

Ironically, my mother was born in the UK in Liverpool :lol: I am just waiting for her birth certificate to arrive so that I can send everything over!

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:33 am

I'm pretty sure you don't register for British citizenship by descent; you gain it automatically by birth if one of your parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

As vinny said you should be able to apply directly for a passport. HMPO might get funny and ask that you provide confirmation of your nationality status - this is done with Form NS and last time I checked it costs £162

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2014.pdf

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:15 am

ohara wrote:I'm pretty sure you don't register for British citizenship by descent; you gain it automatically by birth if one of your parents is a British citizen otherwise than by descent.
Please don't give out incorrect advice.

People born to British mothers before 1 January 1983 are not automatically British. They have to register as British on form UKM and once approved, only then can they apply for a passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.