ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA citizen receiving PR and implications for family members

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

EEA citizen receiving PR and implications for family members

Post by a.s.b.o » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:18 pm

I apply for a PR confirmation in the summer. Upon issuing a PR my dependent family members become dependent family members of a permanently residing EEA citizen. In this case, the absence of an EEA sponsor for less than 2 years, not 6 months, will have no repercussions for their residence in UK.

Is this correct understanding of changes that my dependent parents, issued with a RC in UK, will experience?

Thank you very much for help.

noajthan

Re: EEA citizen receiving PR and implications for family mem

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:42 pm

a.s.b.o wrote:I apply for a PR confirmation in the summer. Upon issuing a PR my dependent family members become dependent family members of a permanently residing EEA citizen. In this case, the absence of an EEA sponsor for less than 2 years, not 6 months, will have no repercussions for their residence in UK.

Is this correct understanding of changes that my dependent parents, issued with a RC in UK, will experience?

No it is not a correct understanding.

PR will be lost due to a 2 year absence from UK; this UK law applies to the PR holder her/himself.

The family dependents enjoy their right to residence under EU Directive.

The rules about continuity of residence are transposed into UK Immigration Regulations - Regulation 3.
This sets in place the 6 months per 12 months rule.
(There is a special case for exceptional circumstances).

The sponsor's absence, from UK, of 6 months let alone 2 years (or more) will have significant repercussions for all parties.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Post by a.s.b.o » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:42 pm

noajthan wrote:
a.s.b.o wrote:I apply for a PR confirmation in the summer. Upon issuing a PR my dependent family members become dependent family members of a permanently residing EEA citizen. In this case, the absence of an EEA sponsor for less than 2 years, not 6 months, will have no repercussions for their residence in UK.

No it is not a correct understanding.

PR will be lost due to a 2 year absence from UK; this UK law applies to the PR holder her/himself.

The family dependents enjoy their right to residence under EU Directive.

The rules about continuity of residence are transposed into UK Immigration Regulations - Regulation 3.
This sets in place the 6 months per 12 months rule.
(There is a special case for exceptional circumstances).

The sponsor's absence, from UK, of 6 months let alone 2 years (or more) will have significant repercussions for all parties.
Ok. Despite the EEA's sponsor acquisition of a PR, dependent family members do not loose the right of residence if the sponsor is absent for less than 6 MONTHS, or absent for up to 12 MONTHS due to a number of defined reasons.

Thank you, now clear

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:48 pm

a.s.b.o wrote:...

Ok. Despite the EEA's sponsor acquisition of a PR, dependent family members do not loose the right of residence if the sponsor is absent for less than 6 MONTHS, or absent for up to 12 MONTHS due to a number of defined reasons.

Thank you, now clear
That is one way to look at Regulation 3.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.