ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Today:changes to the system managing highly-skilled migrants

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:35 am

global_gypsy:

I disagree. I would think that your example case of the American raised in Mexico would be rather anomalous among HSMP applications, so making all Americans provide university letters to cover such cases would be inefficient. In the main, profiling language ability by nationality makes sense in most cases, acknowledgeing, of course, that policies can never be entirely watertight as a result.

That said, I wonder why they did not extend the blanket exemption to those who have bachelor's degrees from universities in majority English-speaking countries (covering your example of the Indian), not just to those with nationality of said countries. That would seem (to me) to be more consistent with their stated aims.

AG

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Not sure if a nationality-based blanket exemption will work well...
e.g. a non-English speaking person with very low English skills migrates to NZ and becomes a Kiwi. Now he will become eligible for the blanket exemption.

I feel such a blanket exemption should be based on where the person studied, not what nationality he holds.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:02 pm

I suppose the assumption is that NZ wouldn't let in someone without good english skills.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:41 pm

It's interesting that the countries included for this blanket exemption are:
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the USA

I'm surprised South Africa and Zimbabwe weren't included.

Hiro
Newly Registered

Post by Hiro » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:54 pm

Makes sense. Although English is the official language of South Africa and Zimbabwe, its not the first (mother tongue) language. English is however both the official and first language of Jamaica, NZ, USA, Australia, Trinidada, Bahamas and so on...
global gypsy wrote:It's interesting that the countries included for this blanket exemption are:
Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the USA

I'm surprised South Africa and Zimbabwe weren't included.

apply4hsmp

Post by apply4hsmp » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:35 pm

Hiro wrote:Makes sense. Although English is the official language of South Africa and Zimbabwe, its not the first (mother tongue) language. English is however both the official and first language of Jamaica, NZ, USA, Australia, Trinidada, Bahamas and so on...
same is with india, all business in india happens in english but they have not included india.

also pilot of this will be done with india and US before it is ruled to eveybody.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Although English is the official language of South Africa and Zimbabwe, its not the first (mother tongue) language.
English is not the mother tongue in the province of Quebec in Canada - it is French. There are significant numbers of Quebecans who don't know any English at all.

Besides, official language for Zimbabwe is English, as it is for countries such as Belize. At the same time, close to 45% in Belize have Spanish as their mother tongue.

Another poorly thought-out policy from your friendly idiots at Home Office.

seek hsmp

Post by seek hsmp » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:30 pm

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353 ... tent.pdf

Refer page 14:

Highly skilled tier, General sub-category
Specific criteria (pass mark = 75)

The specific criteria will be those that have been in
force since 5 December 2006 for the Highly Skilled
Migrant Programme.

The extension test will use the same criteria as those
for initial entry (see Annex B), except that:

a. Points for age awarded on entry will be
carried forward under the extension test.
Separate provision will be made to
accommodate those who are applying under
the extension test from pre-points system
categories and who have not previously been
awarded points for age under the Highly
Skilled: General sub-category;

I have been issued with a 2 year HSMP visa with 10 points awarded for age.

However, on switching from HSMP to Highly Skilled Tier 1 - General Sub-category after 2 years, will I be awarded any points for age considering the fact I will be 32 then.

Should I switch to Highly Skilled Tier 1 - General Sub-category before the expiry of my 2 year HSMP visa to be awarded points for age and use the same points awarded at the time of extension too.

Under Highly Skilled Tier 1 - General Sub-category EXTENSION, the points awarded for age are those awarded ON ENTRY not considering the current age at the time of application for extension.

Please advise.

hari15
Member of Standing

Post by hari15 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:58 am

seek hsmp wrote: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353 ... tent.pdf

Refer page 14:

Highly skilled tier, General sub-category
Specific criteria (pass mark = 75)

The specific criteria will be those that have been in
force since 5 December 2006 for the Highly Skilled
Migrant Programme.

The extension test will use the same criteria as those
for initial entry (see Annex B), except that:

a. Points for age awarded on entry will be
carried forward under the extension test.
Separate provision will be made to
accommodate those who are applying under
the extension test from pre-points system
categories and who have not previously been
awarded points for age under the Highly
Skilled: General sub-category;

I have been issued with a 2 year HSMP visa with 10 points awarded for age.

However, on switching from HSMP to Highly Skilled Tier 1 - General Sub-category after 2 years, will I be awarded any points for age considering the fact I will be 32 then.

Should I switch to Highly Skilled Tier 1 - General Sub-category before the expiry of my 2 year HSMP visa to be awarded points for age and use the same points awarded at the time of extension too.

Under Highly Skilled Tier 1 - General Sub-category EXTENSION, the points awarded for age are those awarded ON ENTRY not considering the current age at the time of application for extension.

Please advise.
I think your case is clear. You will defenitly get the same 10 points for age while extension. Infact this was the rule even before for extension, now they have just changed the words

But I am somewhat confused about My case

I got HSMP approved over previous scheme in 'Under 28' Category

My Birth date is on Nov . I applied on October 2006 exactly in my age of 27 and got my HSMP approved on Dec 15 i.e, when I reached the age of 28

So its actually like I applied for HSMP on 27, but when I got Visa stamped I reached 28 (Under previous sheme)

Now On 2008 Dec I have to apply for extension. By Nov 2008 I will reach the age of 30. But I can apply atmost 1 week before my birthday as per their timeframes.

Now how much points will I get for Extension Is it 20 or 10? I am confused here

rely

Post by rely » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:07 am

Victoria, can you please through some light on "The case workers comments" where under English Language Coments there is a question which is to be replied by case worker while evaluating application that DEGREE TAUGHT IN ENGLISH-Eligible on NARIC English Language website ?
rely

VictoriaS wrote:My understanding is that NARIC will not take on this role, they will simply verify that the degree is a degree level, and the applicant will have to get the letter confriming the course was taught in English, as they do now.

Look at Annex B, top of page 11, for the requirements.

One worry - it says the applicant must come from an English majority country to not have to supply a letter or qualification. So what happens to Indian nationals who do their degrees in the US? WIll they still need the letter? It looks as though they will!

Victoria

Edelweiss

Post by Edelweiss » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:31 am

Has anyone seen any more info on this?

marupa

Post by marupa » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:25 am

In the Intent Para 21, it states that the depandants cannot switch to any other tier and if they do they have to do so outside of the country.

Is this a new rule or was it there previously also?

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:18 am